Comic Con Talk (Renamed since LA Comic Con can't get it together) (3 Viewers)

Yes, but I find it funny that they didn't keep the Saturday portion and just cancel Sunday.
I figure they probably got a few calls from the scheduled guest cancelling and was like, "oh well."

I figure they probably got a few calls from the scheduled guest cancelling and was like, "oh well."
Yeah, no kidding -- who was going to travel to Lafayette from, say, the West Coast and purposefully get stuck in a hurricane?

There had already been a few cancelations due to covid. Throw a hurricane on top of that and I imagine there wasn't much of a con left by the time they called it.

So the craziness with LCC now behind us, AVC's show in Birmingham is pretty stacked. They have Sting (who was also in the Jackson show), Dr. Britt Baker (DMD) (met her at Comicpalooza), and John Barrowman (this dude is a hoot at cons). How is it all of these other sites be knocking it out of the park with guests, but we get Ryan Hurst and the woman from Hocus Pocus?

Has Louisiana become cursed with them? It seems AVC has had sour grapes since Geek'd Con chased them away from Shreveport.

So the craziness with LCC now behind us, AVC's show in Birmingham is pretty stacked. They have Sting (who was also in the Jackson show), Dr. Britt Baker (DMD) (met her at Comicpalooza), and John Barrowman (this dude is a hoot at cons). How is it all of these other sites be knocking it out of the park with guests, but we get Ryan Hurst and the woman from Hocus Pocus?

Has Louisiana become cursed with them? It seems AVC has had sour grapes since Geek'd Con chased them away from Shreveport.
I'm gonna give them a pass for this last show due to Covid, but if the next one in Lafayette doesn't blow me away with guests, then that'll probably signal the end of it for me.

I think a lot of it has to do with them being the only show (of that size) in town in places like Alabama and Arkansas and Mississippi whereas they have a direct competitor in Louisiana in the form of Geek'd Con. A competitor that has frankly had much better guests recently. I know some people who would know who've said there is definetly bad blood between the two after LA Comic Con tried too move back into Shreveport several years back, and the people behind Geekd still hold a grudge. It wouldn't shock me if Geekd Con tries to flex some muscle with guest contracts and the like.

Still don't see how those two couldn't have co-existed out there.

Still don't see how those two couldn't have co-existed out there.

I think a lot of it was down to LA Comic Con not being content to just run Lafayette. Had they not tried to move back into Shreveport things wouldn't have gotten heated. But they saw Shreveport as a defeat for them (their first show was there, but they way underestimated the crowd size and booked a tiny venue and the lines were nightmarishly long and it was just unpleasant) and after getting their organizational structure sorted out, they wanted back in, seeing Geek'd Con as stealing their thunder.

And they weren't subtle about it, either. They actually had volunteers handing out fliers AT Geek'd Con's entrance that year advertising LA Comic Con as Shreveport's "original" comic con. So they really picked a fight that never needed to be picked.

I think a lot of it was down to LA Comic Con not being content to just run Lafayette. Had they not tried to move back into Shreveport things wouldn't have gotten heated. But they saw Shreveport as a defeat for them (their first show was there, but they way underestimated the crowd size and booked a tiny venue and the lines were nightmarishly long and it was just unpleasant) and after getting their organizational structure sorted out, they wanted back in, seeing Geek'd Con as stealing their thunder.

And they weren't subtle about it, either. They actually had volunteers handing out fliers AT Geek'd Con's entrance that year advertising LA Comic Con as Shreveport's "original" comic con. So they really picked a fight that never needed to be picked.
Dummies.

Geek'd Con is a local group, right?

Getting a little late not to have a guest list or any of the attractions listed, no?
I thought the same thing. This is two months out. Most guests are usually announced by this time, with maybe one or two of the "big" names coming soon.

Getting a little late not to have a guest list or any of the attractions listed, no?
Considering it's Fan Expo, I'm not concerned. I just went to there Denver show last weekend and it was great.

I thought the same thing. This is two months out. Most guests are usually announced by this time, with maybe one or two of the "big" names coming soon.
Not necessarily. C2E2 is a month away and they're still adding folks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom