Louisiana food in NYC (1 Viewer)

bartk12

Veteran
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be visiting NYC (flying in from the Netherlands) at the end of may. Unfortunately i don't have time to visit New Orleans.

Do you guys know a good place to eat some Louisiana style food, po boys and gumbo, stuff like that.
I searched on Google but only came up with the Delta Grill, I hope one of you van provide some more options.

Thanks

Ya know, New York is such an unbelievable food town that I think you'd do yourself a disservice but searching out Cajun food. You might find something good, but why not focus on the stuff that you know is great and more a product of the natural culture of the city?

Check out Robertas in Brooklyn along with Mission Chinese. Those two were great last I was there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

:smilielol:

There is a place in Queens that's only 6 stops from Manhattan that claims to have really good poboys and other NOLA goods. I talked to the owner right before she opened and she admitted that she did not have french bread and probably won't use french bread on the poboys. As we all know, that bread makes the poboy. But, what do the local NYers know about that?

Seriously though, NYC has some ridiculously good food. If you want NOLA food, go to NOLA. You're going to NYC, so embrace the goodies that NYC has to offer. I can provide some good tips if you give me an idea of what you like and are willing to pay.

After having lived in Jersey and worked in the city for 15 years, let me assure not to bother looking for ANY Cajun/Creole food in Manhattan.

Enjoy some Italian food and Chinese like you can't get anywhere else instead. Go to Mulberry street and take your pick of the Italian restaurants. You literally cannot go wrong. All are fantastic and most of them are much cheaper than any other restaurant in the city.
Chinese is good pretty much everywhere, though I will warn you the ones with ducks hanging in the window are EXTREMELY authentic Chinese - and by that I mean they serve the bland Cantonese stuff. If you like spice, don't go to those. Also, many excellent Greek restaurants. Try Niko's Mediterranean Grill on the West side, Broadway at 77th.

Thanks for the tips.

I will stick with what is around in abundance, like Chinese and italian.

Thanks for the tips.

I will stick with what is around in abundance, like Chinese and italian.

There is SO much more than Chinese and Italian. Any ethnic style you want is here. Let me know what you really like or are willing to try and I'll see if I can steer you in the right direction.

If I want Italian, I go to Queens. Same with Greek. I live in Astoria which is made up of mostly Greeks with some Italian and Eastern Europeans. If I want Chinese, I go to Chinatown (even though you run the risk of a possible doggie dish if you get deep in the heart of Chinatown).

There is SO much more than Chinese and Italian. Any ethnic style you want is here. Let me know what you really like or are willing to try and I'll see if I can steer you in the right direction.

yeah there was only 1 italian place i went to in little italy
there are whole neighborhoods of Indian food
Cafe Habana in Nolita is a must for me when i go back
8 Mile Creek nearby (australian food) was fun/adventurous
Pink Teacup in west village can give you a taste of southern breakfast
hadn't had a bad meal in any of the Ethiopian places
gotta have a slice and a pretzel

damn i'm hungry now

dudes coming from the netherlands and wants some creole cooking... someone gotta have a hotspot in New York for him...

San Diego - Buds Louisiana Cafe

I know this doesn;t help but I am using this as an example on how to answer the OP's request.

For what it's worth, Art's off of magazine makes their own bagels and they are delicious. I'm not an expert on the subject though.

Artz are good and my wife will eat them (she is from NY), but they are not NY bagels. I can attest to that.

Stein's ships their's in fresh from New York everyday, or they used to.

dudes coming from the netherlands and wants some creole cooking... someone gotta have a hotspot in New York for him...

I know this doesn;t help but I am using this as an example on how to answer the OP's request.

I'm not putting my name behind any of those places in NYC.:eyebrow:

I get it. But he is still 1300 miles from Nola. NY is an amazing food town. But I don't even recommend trying to find Cajun food in New Orleans much less New York.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom