Louisiana GOP Caucus - "Uncommitted" the real winner! (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
WASHINGTON POST
Uncommitted, a Winner at Last
By Juliet Eilperin
January 24, 2008

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) declared victory last night in Tuesday's Louisiana Caucus. But the real winner was "uncommitted," a stand-in for an anti-abortion slate. Yes, after making strong showing in Michigan, it appears Uncommitted has finally won a gold medal in the presidential race.

Explaining -- let alone understanding -- what happened this week in Louisiana presents a serious challenge for even the most devoted of political junkies. Consider this: Louisiana has 47 delegates total, 20 of which will be determined during a separate state primary on Feb. 9. Tuesday's caucus elected 105 delegates to attend the Feb. 16 state convention, who in turn will elect 21 delegates. (The remaining six are split between the state chair, national committeeman and national committeewoman and the three bonus delegates the state received in the wake of Gov. Bobby Jindal's election.)

Of those 105 delegates chosen Tuesday, McCain received roughly 30, more than any other named candidate. But "uncommitted pro-life" received twice that, about 70 delegates. Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney and Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.) each received a few delegates as well, but state officials are still calculating the exact number each candidate received because so many provisional ballots were cast. Caucusgoers had to register as Republicans by Nov. 30 in order to participate in the process but a number of voters -- many of whom were Paul supporters -- showed up and cast provisional ballots since questions remained over whether they had met this requirement

READ MORE
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/01/24/uncommitted_a_winner_at_last_1.html

Treason in Louisiana Presidential election!
by Harry Tugwell
(Libertarian)

Governor Jindal ran on the platform of cleaning up corruption in Louisiana. I believe him. Now he can prove it. The Louisiana Caucus held around the state of Louisiana, was apparently set up to get delegates for John McCain for President!

I am a staunch supporter for Ron Paul for President...

READ MORE
http://www.nolanchart.com/article1409.html

The Louisiana GOP paid for flyers, advertisements, signs and people to caucus for the pro life pro family group. What they pro life, pro family group was telling people at the polls is that they were trying to get as many delegates as possible and endorse the candidate with the strongest views towards pro life and families. What they didn't tell people is the delegate list was comprised of almost all McCain people.

The sad thing is Ron Paul is the only candidate that really fits the pro life profile other than Huckabee.

Either way, Paul had the most voters there and came away just about empty handed. Brilliant strategy but Paul got screwed.

People who feel that babies being aborted are the single biggest issue in this country should be asked to leave and then shot when they refuse. I mean, I hate the idea of a life never getting the chance to grow up and being extinguished without any say so in the matter, but this country's problems are a lot bigger than unborn children. This is quite simply mentally challenged, much like single issue voters and people who vote for the party and not the candidate.

If you would like to know how I really feel, feel free to PM me...

People who feel that babies being aborted are the single biggest issue in this country should be asked to leave and then shot when they refuse. I mean, I hate the idea of a life never getting the chance to grow up and being extinguished without any say so in the matter, but this country's problems are a lot bigger than unborn children. This is quite simply mentally challenged, much like single issue voters and people who vote for the party and not the candidate.

I agree completely but the majority of people in this country vote with emotion rather than their brain.

I feel the exact same way.

If you are pro-life, then inherently, you MUST believe that there is nothing more important than the abortion issue.

If you are pro-life, then inherently, you MUST believe that there is nothing more important than the abortion issue.

I assume you aren't serious.

Back to the original question, if the caucuses were set up specifically to benefit a single candidate, that should be an election law violation.I would expect such a ploy from some campaigns, but she isn't in the GOP primary.

I assume you aren't serious.

I'm dead serious. If you are pro-life, you believe abortion is akin to murder. If you value life, then there's no issue(economy, Iraq, crime) that can be more important than saving life.

WASHINGTON POST
Uncommitted, a Winner at Last
By Juliet Eilperin
January 24, 2008

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) declared victory last night in Tuesday's Louisiana Caucus. But the real winner was "uncommitted," a stand-in for an anti-abortion slate. Yes, after making strong showing in Michigan, it appears Uncommitted has finally won a gold medal in the presidential race.

Explaining -- let alone understanding -- what happened this week in Louisiana presents a serious challenge for even the most devoted of political junkies. Consider this: Louisiana has 47 delegates total, 20 of which will be determined during a separate state primary on Feb. 9. Tuesday's caucus elected 105 delegates to attend the Feb. 16 state convention, who in turn will elect 21 delegates. (The remaining six are split between the state chair, national committeeman and national committeewoman and the three bonus delegates the state received in the wake of Gov. Bobby Jindal's election.)

Of those 105 delegates chosen Tuesday, McCain received roughly 30, more than any other named candidate. But "uncommitted pro-life" received twice that, about 70 delegates. Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney and Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.) each received a few delegates as well, but state officials are still calculating the exact number each candidate received because so many provisional ballots were cast. Caucusgoers had to register as Republicans by Nov. 30 in order to participate in the process but a number of voters -- many of whom were Paul supporters -- showed up and cast provisional ballots since questions remained over whether they had met this requirement

READ MORE
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/01/24/uncommitted_a_winner_at_last_1.html

I read somewhere that had Fred Thompson remained in the race, he would have picked up those(uncommitted) delegates. He pulled out of the race hours before the caucus, apparently unaware of his potential win. If I run across the link again, I'll post it.

I wish I could see your face when you typed this. People are far too complex to describe them so simply. Otherwise all people who are pro-life would be anti-death penalty and we know full well it's usually the opposite.

I can see both sides of the issue and while abortion is a nasty option, there are times when I can agree with it. Despite whatever justification I use to make myself feel better about the death of a fetus, it is still an unbelievably selfish act to make.

Seriously, outlaw wire-hangers...and problem solved. :shrug:

"No more......wire hangers!"

mommiedearest.jpg

I read somewhere that had Fred Thompson remained in the race, he would have picked up those(uncommitted) delegates. He pulled out of the race hours before the caucus, apparently unaware of his potential win. If I run across the link again, I'll post it.

That was noted on Wonkette.com, with plenty of profanity. :hihi:

NRO also reported on it (from an anonymous source):

Louisiana's social conservatives created the winning "Pro-life, Pro-family" slate in early January largely because we didn't know if Fred was still going to be a candidate at the time of our caucuses (turns out that he wasn't, by a few hours). Because we had almost all the state's social conservative leaders for Fred, we were also able to stave off Huckabee by use of this "pro-life, pro-family" slate. I was really pleased with the win last night, as it's not easy to beat McCain, Romney, and Paul without a candidate, but that's what we did.

About 90 percent of the pro-family slate was actually Thompson supporters. If Fred were to jump back into the race, he would almost certainly pick up all 47 of Louisiana's delegates (the whole point of LA's complicated system was to have an early vote while still not losing half our delegates like all the other early states have). That would put him AHEAD of McCain in the delegate count and only narrowly trailing Romney.
http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZDU5YmNlMDVjMTY0ZmFjNzJjYTY5ODc1NjQxMjVkNTU=

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom