Louisiana is Number 1: Sea Level Rise Fastest in World! (1 Viewer)

Cosmic201

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
On Eve of Oscar Bid by

Stunning new data not yet publicly released shows Louisiana losing its battle with rising seas much more quickly than even the most pessimistic studies have predicted to date.

While state officials continue to argue over restoration projects to save the state’s sinking, crumbling coast, top researchers at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have concluded that Louisiana is in line for the highest rate of sea-level rise “on the planet.”

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge,
well, what is it? Sea level rise or erosion of land?
The answer is yes.

Here is the original article that the article from the OP references:

New research: Louisiana coast faces highest rate of sea-level rise worldwide | The Lens

Southeast Louisiana fares much worse in all four scenarios because “we now know the entire area is sinking faster than any coastal landscape its size on the planet,” Osborne said.

“When you combine those two factors, update the rates from what we’ve found with the most recent data—and that is data, not computer models or theories—then you see this area, southeast Louisiana, will experience the highest rate of sea-level rise anywhere on the planet by the end of the century,” Osborne said.

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
If the "stunning new data" is not "publicly available" then how did a blogger get it?

BIG E

SR is my life!
Reaction score

I call BS on this "unreleased" data.
St. Mary parish is the only Parish that shows a net gain not lost of land each year. This will continue because the Atchafalya and is allowed to flood the land every year and the land is replenished or added to and yet their chart clearly shows the opposite.

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If the "stunning new data" is not "publicly available" then how did a blogger get it?
Bob Marshall, a long time outdoors reporter for the Times-Picayune (until their recent reincarnation as the Sometimes Picayune), is hardly someone I would dismiss as just a "blogger." His article on The Lens describes all of the researchers and other officials in detail.

Is the response going to be to nitpick the numbers and pretend that everything is just hunky dory with our coastline?

Redfish

© Geaux Saints!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just when my insurance rates dropped... LOL!
How in the world does one get their rates to drop without making changes in fire rating or upping deductibles? Mine in Mississippi just went up 18% and with the tornado coming through recently they'll probably increase again.

Sent from my String & Coffee can using Tapatalk

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
How in the world does one get their rates to drop without making changes in fire rating or upping deductibles? Mine in Mississippi just went up 18% and with the tornado coming through recently they'll probably increase again.

carrier has good 2-3 years loss experience, new carrier comes in with lower rates. several factors.

Reaction score

Not sure. It renewed and my policy dropped around $100 for the year. I'm still paying out the wazoo.

thefredman63

Very Banned
Reaction score
Someone needs to pray to the omnipotent one to reduce the levels...(yes we can yes we can yes we can) :worthy:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom