Louisiana is Number 1: Sea Level Rise Fastest in World! (1 Viewer)

ohhhh end of THIS century.....

then this is a forecast.

Not computer models or forecasts, they know the precise place sea levels will rise fastest in 100 years. They can't accurately predict the weather in 100 hours but 100 years on sea level rise....cannot be wrong....science is settled....all the scientists agree....it is a feta compli.

Now would be a good time to look back at all the climate predictions that were made 15 years ago and see how many came true.

I'll give up my house if the gubbament wants to pay for it.

It may come to that. Or it may come to insurance companies pulling out and the problem taking care of itself in a long and painful process, which is more or less what we are witnessing. One of our closest family friends just sold their house in lower Terrebonne. It is a slab house and my father approved him for the loan back when I was a little tot. They sold the house as a fishing camp even though it is in the middle of a neighborhood. There's just no land anymore and it floods for every storm. Places I used to frequent for fishing are open water when they used to be beautiful wetlands. Redfish are being seen further inland than ever.

I really do think it may be smarter and cheaper for the government to buy everyone out. Industry folks can stay at their own risk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

It may come to that. Or it may come to insurance companies pulling out and the problem taking care of itself in a long and painful process, which is more or less what we are witnessing. One of our closest family friends just sold their house in lower Terrebonne. It is a slab house and my father approved him for the loan back when I was a little tot. They sold the house as a fishing camp even though it is in the middle of a neighborhood. There's just no land anymore and it floods for every storm. Places I used to frequent for fishing are open water when they used to be beautiful wetlands. Redfish are being seen further inland than ever.

I really do think it may be smarter and cheaper for the government to buy everyone out. Industry folks can stay at their own risk.

Industry folks can afford to.

I get what jdbrn is saying. My fear, as posted in my question to him, was that who will decide the values? At some point, the homeowners are going to have to take something probably less than they feel is enough. But the fact remains, like you said, what value would the property have if in 30 years is completely underwater?

I think it will eventually come to something like that. Katrina was a wake-up call, but unfortunately everyone hit the snooze bar. I expect the city to get flooded out at least one more time in my lifetime (I am 37).

On a side note, one thing that really pi$$e$ me off is when I listen to 870 AM, and they always call Katrina the greatest man-made disaster ever, because the levees failed. The levees may have failed, but what would have happened had the levees not been there? All of New Orleans, Metairie, the westbank, Kenner etc. would have had several feet of water. Fact of the matter is, it is the responsibility of the individual to take care of him or herself.

On a side note, one thing that really pi$$e$ me off is when I listen to 870 AM, and they always call Katrina the greatest man-made disaster ever, because the levees failed. The levees may have failed, but what would have happened had the levees not been there? All of New Orleans, Metairie, the westbank, Kenner etc. would have had several feet of water. Fact of the matter is, it is the responsibility of the individual to take care of him or herself.

wait, the levees failed but it's the individual's fault??

I think it will eventually come to something like that. Katrina was a wake-up call, but unfortunately everyone hit the snooze bar. I expect the city to get flooded out at least one more time in my lifetime (I am 37).

This is starting to be my fear, too. This city, this state, this country has seen the warning shot in 2005. It just seems like people have said, "ok, we've done enough, put a new fancy flood system in place, now we can sleep easy at night." But that ultimately amounts to putting a band-aid on a stab wound. What needs to happen is we need to put the stitches on it (letting the river flow free and replenish the wetlands to our south) before it bleeds through once again (the ominous "Katrina II"). Id really hate to see how the flood walls hold up once I can see the Gulf of Mexico from Barataria Blvd.

This is starting to be my fear, too. This city, this state, this country has seen the warning shot in 2005. It just seems like people have said, "ok, we've done enough, put a new fancy flood system in place, now we can sleep easy at night." But that ultimately amounts to putting a band-aid on a stab wound. What needs to happen is we need to put the stitches on it (letting the river flow free and replenish the wetlands to our south) before it bleeds through once again (the ominous "Katrina II"). Id really hate to see how the flood walls hold up once I can see the Gulf of Mexico from Barataria Blvd.

why wait for that?

They should not have relied on the levees.

Then most of the places you mention wouldn't exist at all. Levees and pumping are the major reason for most of the expansion from the original city footprint. Should we abandon 80% of the metro area? I think citizens have a right to expect a levee to at least function within its design specification, which clearly did not happen in Katrina. We can't expect miracles. But some level if competency is not unreasonable. Couple that with efforts to allow for healthier, growing wetlands and we should be relatively good to go.

Then most of the places you mention wouldn't exist at all. Levees and pumping are the major reason for most of the expansion from the original city footprint. Should we abandon 80% of the metro area? I think citizens have a right to expect a levee to at least function within its design specification, which clearly did not happen in Katrina. We can't expect miracles. But some level if competency is not unreasonable. Couple that with efforts to allow for healthier, growing wetlands and we should be relatively good to go.

Would you be willing to bet your family's lives on "relatively good to go?" It is one thing to know what you are in for and evacuate when the time comes. It is another thing to stay and expect to be safe no matter what. At least with hurricanes, you know when they are coming and can evacuate. Earthquakes are a different story. Just wait until the next New Madrid earthquake occurs. That will be the "Katrina" for St. Louis. Hopefully afterwards, they will build there buildings up to a code sufficient to survive a strong earthquake (what ever the codes are for San Francisco).

Would you be willing to bet your family's lives on "relatively good to go?" It is one thing to know what you are in for and evacuate when the time comes. It is another thing to stay and expect to be safe no matter what. At least with hurricanes, you know when they are coming and can evacuate. Earthquakes are a different story. Just wait until the next New Madrid earthquake occurs. That will be the "Katrina" for St. Louis. Hopefully afterwards, they will build there buildings up to a code sufficient to survive a strong earthquake (what ever the codes are for San Francisco).

Of course not. But that is a bit of a different topic. I thought you were speaking in more a general context. Of course I'm not going to tempt fate. Evacuation procedures are and should be a part of life around here.

Of course not. But that is a bit of a different topic. I thought you were speaking in more a general context. Of course I'm not going to tempt fate. Evacuation procedures are and should be a part of life around here.
What I am saying is that when you combine the land loss, plus the sinking (yes it is sinking), plus increasing sea level from melting ice cap, plus stronger hurricanes due to global warming = the eventual destruction of New Orleans. As to when, I don't know. Probably not my lifetime, but if I were a betting man and would be around long enough, I would bet that it will happen in the next 200 years.

Let me preface that by saying, the 200 year figure can be averted if future technology allows for the controlling of hurricanes (you never know, this could happen...like seeding clouds for rain).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom