Louisiana Litter (1 Viewer)

xaeniac

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Why is there so much litter in Louisiana? Is it a culture thing? I just find there to be a lot of trash on the sides of the roads in the state of LA?

Why is there so much litter in Louisiana? Is it a culture thing? I just find there to be a lot of trash on the sides of the roads in the state of LA?

If I'm going on a take a stab - and if it's trule different than other states - I would say that our cash starved budget has hwy crews working at a bare bones minimum

If I'm going on a take a stab - and if it's trule different than other states - I would say that our cash starved budget has hwy crews working at a bare bones minimum

That may be true. But this is a cultural issue through and through. We just accept and generally participate in this ignorant behavior. My grandpa once threw his trash out of his car in front of my house in New Orleans (he's from Houma). I asked him what the hell he was doing. He said to look around, that everyone does it in New Orleans. While true I also pointed out that the front of my house did not look like that. And it's not necessarily a socio economic thing. I've seen people in $80k cars toss their fast food trash on Napoleon Avenue. Thankfully less people are smoking these days, but smokers seem to think their butts magically disappear off the street as well.

But to your point, the lack of public services contributes to the behavior. Watch the garbage cans during a busy time in the city, like a Saints game or Mardi Gras. People start out by making the walk to put their trash in the can. Then as the can overflows, it gets to a point that going out of your way becomes practically useless, so the trash just goes on the ground.

While I despise the litter and the culprits behind it, I earned a fair amount of $$ growing up picking up empty beer cans and coke cans along the highway running in front of our house...and the girlie magazines were just bonus.

My favorite is when folks dump appliances, sofas, and matersses randomly on the side of the road. It takes effort to be that ignunt.

It's an abomination! I e-mail DOTD and my local council all the time. It's a shame and is a sign of a lazy, primitive populace that has no pride in its surroundings.

It's a cultural thing I think, and it aggravates me to no end. I always hold my trash until I find a receptacle. But people just toss large amount of trash straight out of their windows.

Don't get me started on how they just leave their grocery store carts where ever they feel like, too.

if people weren't slobs, you wouldn't need a budget for picking up trash

Is it a culture thing?

Yes.

Shockingly Louisiana ranked 43rd (in other words the 8th dirtiest state) in the first rankings study I pulled up on Google (from 2014), which actually seems generous. The reasons are probably the usual reasons Louisiana is near the worst in just about everything that has ever been ranked -- poverty, lack of education, zero public enforcement, and overall ignorance.

My favorite is when folks dump appliances, sofas, and matersses randomly on the side of the road. It takes effort to be that ignunt.

I just put mine in front of my house. Usually gets picked up within 6 hours, depending on what it is.

Yes.

Shockingly Louisiana ranked 43rd (in other words the 8th dirtiest state) in the first rankings study I pulled up on Google (from 2014), which actually seems generous. The reasons are probably the usual reasons Louisiana is near the worst in just about everything that has ever been ranked -- poverty, lack of education, zero public enforcement, and overall ignorance.

Two things I would add for SELA: more outside eating/drinking entertainment than in most other places; (and partly bc of that) LOTS of tourists who **** here who would never do the same at their'home'

Maryland as a whole is pretty clean (#9 nationally) but this neck of the woods is a litter-strewn garbage dump. I ran the state-sponsored Adopt-a-Highway cleanup crew for our Unitarian church for 4 years, and it's both disgusting and sad what people dump on the ground.

While on vacations, I've had the pleasure of going for runs in many other states, none of which come close to this area in terms of litter. I think it's that the lower eastern shore counties lag behind the other counties of Maryland in terms of education, snow removal, road maintenance, etc. so litter removal just isn't a priority.

There is never any consequence for littering. The police won't enforce it.
Try enforcing it yourself, and you will most likely get into a fight.

I clean up my block once a week, and write letters to my council district rep. That is what I am resigned to.

Louisiana - "Settle For Less!"

I would be amazed if LA was any worse than it is up here in MS. We have multiple crews from the regional jails out picking things up by hand on our highways and it is still trashy as hell. I live in a subdivision built around a 1,600 acre lake which you would think had less trashy occupants (HOA dues, private security watching ect.) than the general public but you would be wrong to make that assumption. I personally make about a 800 yd walk around our street every week to pick up litter. You would think that the people on our street (my street is a circle-not a through street) would keep it clean. Yet I still fill up a small trash bag with litter every week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom