Louisiana Marathon 2017 (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
just signed up for my first marathon.

did my first half last march (zydeco half). didnt do as well as i thought i could. right foot/achilles started cramping about mile 9.5-10, kept on the rest of the race, about mile 11 both feet/achilles cramped. and couldnt run longer than about 5 mins at a time after that. sucked at the time, but learned from it.

so kept running more since. signed up for cajun cup (3rd year in a row for me), cajun country half (1st time), louisiana marathon and zydeco half (in lafayette).

anyone here running the full? i'm trying to strengthen my legs in the gym and follow hal higdon's training plan to the day.

I’m going to do the Rock and Roll Marathon as my first Full and going to do the Louisiana Half again next year. I really enjoyed that route and had a great experience at the race.

Running the Jazz Half next weekend again. Was my first half last year and struggled pretty badly by going out way too fast (for me at least)

Good luck.

I'm doing the Louisiana full. Just finished Ironman Louisville so Louisiana will be good motivation to get back into it. Good luck with the training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going to do the Rock and Roll Marathon as my first Full and going to do the Louisiana Half again next year. I really enjoyed that route and had a great experience at the race.

Running the Jazz Half next weekend again. Was my first half last year and struggled pretty badly by going out way too fast (for me at least)

Good luck.

I'm doing the Louisiana full. Just finished Ironman Louisville so Louisiana will be good motivation to get back into it. Good luck with the training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are you guys still running in louisiana? im shooting for a sub 4:30. i did a half marathon a few weeks ago under 2 hours. but the temp/day was perfect. weather for louisiana marathon looks pretty bad, plus double the distance. so figured double time and add. a 4:30 will be close to a 10min pace.

Marathon Advice from Amol Saxena DPM, Palo Alto, CA - Sports Medicine and Surgery of the Foot and Ankle

Getting a massage a few days prior is helpful, as is stretching more, and staying well hydrated. Ice massage any sore spots for 5-10 minutes (i.e. calves or Iliotibial Bands). Be wary of dramatic diet changes. Not everyone does well on carbohydrate loading or the fat/protein load as well.

Change your clothes! This year at the San Francisco Marathon we had many people that were close to hypothermia because they didn't have warm clothes to change into, nor a hat! Don't pop your blisters until after you shower.

(Use a sterilized needle to pop TWO holes on opposite sides of the blister and leave the roof on. Lubricate the area with antibiotic ointment, and only cover them if you absolutely need to. (Second skin, Compeed or Tegaderm work best.) Leaving the blisters open and soaking in Epsom Salts dries them out faster, which is the goal.

Recommended Books from Amol Saxena DPM, Palo Alto, CA - Sports Medicine and Surgery of the Foot and Ankle

are you guys still running in louisiana? im shooting for a sub 4:30. i did a half marathon a few weeks ago under 2 hours. but the temp/day was perfect. weather for louisiana marathon looks pretty bad, plus double the distance. so figured double time and add. a 4:30 will be close to a 10min pace.
Good luck to you! My PR is 4:21 at the Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach. Just enough elevation changes to keep you from getting rangebound, but basically a flat, fast course.

Load up on the vitamin C, get your rest afterward, and don't sweat getting a cold. Oh, and don't forget the bandaids for you nipples. Lay everything out the night before the race--shoes, socks, gel packs (I used fruit roll-ups:) ) etc. This gives you a sense of preparedness.

I’m not running it this year. Took some time off after the Jazz Half. Focusing on the CCC and some other races before it to drop my time. Good luck and let us know how it went.

Good luck to you! My PR is 4:21 at the Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach. Just enough elevation changes to keep you from getting rangebound, but basically a flat, fast course.

Load up on the vitamin C, get your rest afterward, and don't sweat getting a cold. Oh, and don't forget the bandaids for you nipples. Lay everything out the night before the race--shoes, socks, gel packs (I used fruit roll-ups:) ) etc. This gives you a sense of preparedness.

Ooooooo the nipples. U don't know pain until you've had nipples rubbed raw.

Bruh!

And then you get in the shower.... :no::no::no:

I'm running the Disney Marathon on Sunday. I'm doing it for fun, but I'm still hoping to go under 3:45, targeting 3:40.

Bruh!

And then you get in the shower.... :no::no::no:

I'm running the Disney Marathon on Sunday. I'm doing it for fun, but I'm still hoping to go under 3:45, targeting 3:40.

IS it still on? Heard the half was cancelled. Don't know for hate as true?

Like RussTKD said, until you get in the shower :covri:

I've seen runners actually bleeding through their shirts.

Another thing to consider is a headband, especially if it's going to be warm. Sweat becomes very concentrated after several hours running, and if it gets in your eyes it burns like getting Ben-Gay in your crotch.

A friend of mine told me about that second part :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom