Louisiana: Of false etymologies and misleading education (1 Viewer)

Were you told the story that Louisiana was partially named for a non-existent Queen Anna?

• Yes, I was told this story.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • No, this story is dumb and anyone who believes it makes me cry

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters

Sun Wukong

Kicker's, Inc. Superfan
Reaction score
Growing up, my elementary school teachers constantly told the factually incorrect story that the state of Louisiana was named for King Louis and his wife Queen Anna. This was something we were always told, and since we were stupid, young children we believed it. Just about everyone I know in my age group recalls hearing this story at one point or another.

Of course, this story is in no way true. "Louisiana" is an Anglicization of "La Louisiane," which translates to "Land of Louis." Louis XIV did not have a wife named Anna. His first wife was Maria Theresa and his second was Françoise d'Aubigné. His mother WAS Anne of Austria, but she had been dead for quite a while when La Salle explored and named the region and her name has nothing to do the name of the state.

Anyway, I've always wondered how prevalent this bit of folk etymology is. Was it something you were told in school? Are they still teaching it? Just curious.

man I dont even remember that far back in my public school education in New Orleans.

What I DO remember was having drinks with my father at The Windsor Court when i was 25 and ordering a glass of Louis XIV cognac. I had absolutely NO idea. Thought the bottle was cool. The bill for the drink, not cool.

I don't remember ever learning it in school (i'm from MS), however we went on a field trip to Honey Island Swamp in Pear River, and I remember them telling the story on the tour. I've never really cared enough to do the research, so.. I found out by reading this thread! Thanks!

Growing up, my elementary school teachers constantly told the factually incorrect story that the state of Louisiana was named for King Louis and his wife Queen Anna. This was something we were always told, and since we were stupid, young children we believed it. Just about everyone I know in my age group recalls hearing this story at one point or another.

Of course, this story is in no way true. "Louisiana" is an Anglicization of "La Louisiane," which translates to "Land of Louis." Louis XIV did not have a wife named Anna. His first wife was Maria Theresa and his second was Françoise d'Aubigné. His mother WAS Anne of Austria, but she had been dead for quite a while when La Salle explored and named the region and her name has nothing to do the name of the state.

Anyway, I've always wondered how prevalent this bit of folk etymology is. Was it something you were told in school? Are they still teaching it? Just curious.

i think it was just you, bro.

I hated history in school because IMO it is was taught wrong. History classes that I took were only about memorizing dates. Since then I have gone back and read many history books that get more involved in the actual stories and find them fascinating. I guess the books I have read have concentrated more on New Orleans than Louisiana though because I don't remember anything about Anna. La Salle's journey and return journey (and mutiny) are fascinating though. How different might things have been for NOLA had he been able to find the mouth of the Mississippi - everything would have been established by a different person with different plans.

My father used to tell me this 'story'. And he also told me a street in town here named Jewella was named after a Jew named Ella....

have you also heard that La schools are teaching kids that we are descended from monkeys?
it's a crazy world

First, I know it's a joke, but I want to comment.

Second, I do not believe that Humans evolved from lower life-forms. I believe God created humans as a very unique part of his creation.

Third, no one anywhere teaches that we descended from monkeys. They may claim we hold a common ancestry with primates, but that's as close as it gets.

/end threadjack

I heard and retold the Luis Y Ana thing.... I am embarrassed. Thanks for the correct info. I need to source stuff I hear.... I guess it is one of those things that sounds plausible enough to take at face value if you don't know the facts.

Last edited:
First, I know it's a joke, but I want to comment.

Second, I do not believe that Humans evolved from lower life-forms. I believe God created humans as a very unique part of his creation.

Third, no one anywhere teaches that we descended from monkeys. They may claim we hold a common ancestry with primates, but that's as close as it gets.

/end threadjack

I heard and retold the Luis Y Ana thing.... I am embarrassed. Thanks for the correct info. I need to source stuff I hear.... I guess it is one of those things that sounds plausible enough to take at face value if you don't know the facts.

take a step back and view the 1st part of your post in the context of what you wrote in the last part of your post - similar premises and yet you arrive at opposite conclusions

How did the conversation get moved to an evolutionary debate from a poster asking about history classes? </br> </br> I never heard of this narrative of Queen Anna until now. History, unfortunately, is almost as subjective as art. It is framed in the perspective of the re-teller. </br> </br>Since this thread has been jacked anyway: monkeys are pretty darn cute, especially the little ones, until they throw their crap at you and bare their teeth. Sounds just like most of the cute women I know.

I never heard of this narrative of Queen Anna until now. History, unfortunately, is almost as subjective as art. It is framed in the perspective of the re-teller.

History is a lie agreed upon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom