Louisiana Players in the NFL (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
A few years back I remember reading a Sports Illustrated Issue which stated Louisiana was the state to produce the most NFL players. Does anyone know if this is still true?

Louisiana and Mississippi trade places every once in a while for most NFL players per capita...

Just think of the amount of quarterbacks to come from La. I was curious to see how many players were from the greater New Orleans area, it seams like there are alot.

In raw numbers states like California, Florida, Texas, etc have the most NFL players. However LA and Miss. are pretty high on that list, especially when you consider the population differences. Per capita though, LA and Miss. are the highest. I found a list a while back, I'll see if I can find it again.

here is a list without population considerations:

http://www.nflhs.com/news/features/NFLPlayersStateCountry_10152001_sim.asp

Here's a good article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9619858

" The study ranked all 50 states and the District of Columbia based on five different criteria: percentage of professional football fans (Mississippi ranked 21st), percentage of college football fans (15th), percentage of varsity high school football players divided by the state's male population 15-17 (3rd), percentage of signed NCAA Division I recruits for 2006 divided by the number of 11-man varsity high school football players in that state (7th), and the percentage of NFL players in 2005 divided by the number of 11-man varsity high school players in the state (8th). The states ranking in the top 10 included (in order of finish) Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana, Ohio, Alabama, Texas, Virginia, South Carolina, Kansas and Florida."

Last edited:
Interesting ... I wonder if this still holds true now since Katrina?

Well I am sure it will be skewed a little but even with the population decreasing (which I heard on the radio it wasn't a whole lot the other day) but per capita is per population. So even with a smaller population if we are still producing NFL players it should still be pretty good.

I don't remember which sports show I was watching this passed winter, but those guys said it was Pennsylvania. Sorry.

But, if your talking about exceptional NFL athletes, then it HAS to be Louisiana and Texas. Right?

I really don't know how. Louisiana and Mississippi have had a per capita edge on other states for quite some time now and it really wasn't close the last time that I looked. I seem to recall greater numbers of Louisiana and Mississippi athletes being drafted the last three years, so that number has got to go even higher with the lower population numbers of southern Louisiana and Mississippi.

I found these from another site for the 2005 season. Katrina wouldn't lower LA in the standings, it would increase their lead. The number of LA NFL players didn't change because of Katrina, just the population decreased. So, that would give them more players per capita, not less. Louisiana had a huge per capita lead in 2005. I doubt that would have changed much in 2006, and like you guys said a lot more LA kids went into the NFL this year. I don't know how that sports show I watched this winter could have been right about Penn considering the 4 to 1 lead LA had a year earlier. Maybe they were talking about starters. :dunno:

Louisiana - 1 N.F.L. player per 58,802 people
South Carolina - 1 N.F.L. player per 83,584 people
Florida - 1 N.F.L. player per 89,287 people
Georgia - 1 N.F.L. player per 90,961 people
Texas - 1 N.F.L. player per 118,476 people
Virginia - 1 N.F.L. player per 144,460 people
Ohio - 1 N.F.L. player per 145,553 people
California - 1 N.F.L. player per 170,209 people
Michigan - 1 N.F.L. player per 198,769 people
Pennsylvania - 1 N.F.L. player per 211,742 people

I found it at the site below. I don't know how accurate it is but there are several different breakdowns that should make you guys frrom Louisiana smile.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cincybearcats/2006/07/football-minutiae.asp

Sabine

Last edited:
I really don't know how. Louisiana and Mississippi have had a per capita edge on other states for quite some time now and it really wasn't close the last time that I looked. I seem to recall greater numbers of Louisiana and Mississippi athletes being drafted the last three years, so that number has got to go even higher with the lower population numbers of southern Louisiana and Mississippi.

most of the people that left southern louisana never left the state,most of them came to central and north lousiana...so louisiana's numbers should be that scewed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom