Louisiana Sportsman United: Fisherman Against Private Canals (1 Viewer)

whodatdabeaux

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys a petition has been started to try and prevent land owners from blocking canals which are accessible to the general public. This is becoming a big issue in the entire state as fishermen are losing access to Sportsman's Paradise.

You can find the petition here: Petition Louisiana Sportsman United

There are not yet details of the situation as things are just getting off the ground. If you have had any fishing holes where you once fished and now it is gated off then you know what we are fighting against.

There is also a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/936109849813025/

Until things get more organized the goal for now is to get as many fishermen as possible to join the cause and sign the petition.

I would need to know the reasons why the access to these sites are being closed off to the public before I felt comfortable attempting to form judgement of any kind. Are they being closed so businesses can have lone access? Are they being closed because it's a dangerous area? Are the areas privately owned and being closed by the land owner? Are they part of conservation attempts/issues? There's an endless amount of reasons to close access to a waterway that is completely understandable. What specifically is making this situation unique?

I'm new to the information as I only moved back up Louisiana two years ago but I'm told it's an issue of private land ownership. Somehow their were laws put into place that allowed oil companies to buy up marsh land many years ago. These companies are leasing these lands to private folks and those folks are blocking the canals that run through these marsh lands in order to keep fishermen out. This applies to all marsh in Louisiana so eventually everything could be blocked from fishermen. This is my understanding of the situation. As the group gets more organized I will share any further details I learn.

I would need to know the reasons why the access to these sites are being closed off to the public before I felt comfortable attempting to form judgement of any kind. Are they being closed so businesses can have lone access? Are they being closed because it's a dangerous area? Are the areas privately owned and being closed by the land owner? Are they part of conservation attempts/issues? There's an endless amount of reasons to close access to a waterway that is completely understandable. What specifically is making this situation unique?

Louisiana's trespass laws lock anglers out of most coastal marshes | NOLA.com

It's funny. But when I think of it I realize every canal I've fished has a posted sign of private property. Ha-ha. I never pay it any mind. I guess it's the ones that are physically blocked that are the issues here. It's a tough question because if the private entity had not dug the canal you wouldn't be there anyway. Regular use of these types of canals also contribute to the erosion of the marsh.

It's funny. But when I think of it I realize every canal I've fished has a posted sign of private property. Ha-ha. I never pay it any mind. I guess it's the ones that are physically blocked that are the issues here. It's a tough question because if the private entity had not dug the canal you wouldn't be there anyway. Regular use of these types of canals also contribute to the erosion of the marsh.

The land owner or lease holder can ask you to leave these canals or just call the law because you are trespassing and that is the problem with the law, but at least you still have access to the fishing. The gated canals just shut the public out from public fishing altogether.

The land owner or lease holder can ask you to leave these canals or just call the law because you are trespassing and that is the problem with the law, but at least you still have access to the fishing. The gated canals just shut the public out from public fishing altogether.
Yes. The problem is that some long open canals are being closed off for various reasons, some of which must be legal liabilities.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom