Love his motor... but... (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks Bryan Young has been a liability against the run since he's been here? I think he's a better pass rusher than he is a run stopper. I see alot of guys want Patrick Willis in the draft... and even if we get a monster LB in free agency to play the middle (Briggs, Thomas, Edwards), he'll still get eaten up by blockers.

I know the heavy lunch bunch didn't work out too well a few years ago, but man I'd love to see Hollis (if he gets resigned) and another big run stuffer in the middle on run downs.

Bryan Young has a motor that doesn't stop, and I love his heart, but he gets pushed out too easy/often, and we need somebody in there that can hold his position. We'll just need to join our hands and pray that teams don't just line up and gash us all game for the rest of this season and into the playoffs, but this may be something to look into after we win the Super Bowl in February.

It doesn't look like Payton is one to stand pat... so the winds of change may be on the horizon.

Brian Young is less effective without Hollis Thomas. He fits the scheme well, but we have no adquate replacement for Thomas and it's showing in Young's play.

he can be "moved" off the line in run situations but he is a good DT ... he is a top 15 pass rusher at the DT position...

That's what I meant... I think he's an effective pass rusher, but not a run defender... I'd like to see him on 2nd and long and 3rd downs.

This is rough because he has to have a big NT next to him or he is ineffective. I think the solution is to bring in a good MLB and another blocker eating NT to occupy blockers. Brian young is the least of our problems on D.

I agree the guy to me doesnt do anything but play hard, he is not a run stuffer or a pass rusher just a guy with a big heart and plays to the whistle, but his talents didnt get him to the league his heart did, to me if you pair a guy with a proven run stuffer than he should be a proven pass rusher from the tackle spot and Young isnt, but he is a good player, he has 5.5sacks, its just something about him that just doesnt do 'it" for me...he's not Laroi Glover!...and maybe thats the problem.

Brian Young is less effective without Hollis Thomas. He fits the scheme well, but we have no adquate replacement for Thomas and it's showing in Young's play.

:plus-un2:

smilies41428qu7.png

That's what I meant... I think he's an effective pass rusher, but not a run defender... I'd like to see him on 2nd and long and 3rd downs.

I'd rather have him in there than Grady Jackson.... He plays bigger than he is and IMHO has gotten better at the run every year .... I think he has put on some weight..

I agree. He's very good when teamed with Thomas.

Some of you guys might want to look a little further than Young for our pass rush woes.

In particular, DE's who can't generate any pressure at all, even in obvious passing situations, with a single blocker on them.

Some of you guys might want to look a little further than Young for our pass rush woes.

In particular, DE's who can't generate any pressure at all, even in obvious passing situations, with a single blocker on them.

This is what surprises me. Something that I noticed with our ends is that they do play hard (their run play has greatly improved) but when pass rushing, their moves, particularly hand swipes, are limited. Charles Grant has a great bull rush but needs to improve his technique in "swatting" the grip of tackles to accelerate his advance. He tends to get locked up and appears to lack the hand chops to create distance between the tackle.

Will Smith is also a guy that could use his hands much more in chopping, thereby not allowing tackles to get a lock on grip on the pash rush attempts.

Sorry, I almost forgot that this thread was about Young. Agree with the earlier posters that Young is much more effective with an experienced run stuffer next to him.

As far as the pass rush goes I think you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. We are 9th in the NFL in Sacks.

As far as Young not being a good run stuffer, he is not meant to be a run stuffer. He is a 3 tech DT, his job is to get penetration and he does his job pretty good.

I agree 100% with that statement! That about sums it up but I do have to wonder how many teams BY would start for other than the Saints.

As far as the pass rush goes I think you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. We are 9th in the NFL in Sacks.

It's not making a mountain out of a mole hill, and since you've seen the games, you know it's true.

How many of our sacks have been coverage sacks? Was there any game that illustrates this better than the Redskins game? We had virtually no pressure for the entire game. It's one thing to have your DE's playing soft against Michael Vick--in order to contain the run. But we've had pass rush problems all season long. Even against the Bengals, when so many people were quick to jump all over Fred Thomas, Carson Palmer had hours to throw the ball.

It's not a molehill, it's a mountain.

If you want to address the DT position what we need more then anything else is a true backup for Hollis Thomas. Not that we couldn't upgrade Brian Young, it's just the critical weakeness on the D-line was exposed by Hollis Thomas being suspended. No one really backs him up. Leslie, Lake, and Whitehead are all essentially the same player Young is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom