Low Carb diet (1 Viewer)

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Reaction score
On monday, the wife and I are starting a low carb diet. Not Atkins, but that general idea. Anybody got any easy recipes? Especially quick breakfast and lunch ideas. The last time I did this I was very successful but went back to my old ways eventually.

Omelets for breakfast. There are a million ways to make an omelet to keep it different. Also, if you want to get creative, do an eggs benedict using a chunk of sauteed fish instead of an english muffin. Yum!

One of my favorites is making a dish with ground meat. Season to taste then add some sour cream and sugar free ketchup with ground the ground meat with lots of mushrooms sauteed in worcestershire. Don't forget to put some onions and a ton of garlic. I can eat that stuff by the bowl like chili or serve it as part of a meal with some veggies.

Keep a lot of fish, sour cream, cheese, whole cream, bacon, butter, eggs, ground meat, chicken breasts, and green veggies on hand and you can get really creative.

The best kept secret in the world is boneless skinless thighs. About 75% cheaper than breasts since it isn't all white meat. Keep some of those bad boys marignating in a bowl full of garlic, thyme and a little cumin and you have some really good fresh grilled chicken in minutes. These are really good baked, grilled or even cut into medallions and blackened.

I used to keep a big bowl of blackened chicken medallions in the fridge. Would make a salad, toss them into an omelet or just snack on them like nuggets. Cheap, quick and easy. Plus they stay good in the fridge for almost a week.

Pork tenderloins wrapped up in foil with peppers, onions and a dry rub slow cooked on the grill.

Hard to go wrong with slow cooking several slabs of ribs with a dry rub.

My dry rub is pretty easy.
Equal parts Garlic, onion powder, chili powder
Half part: Paprika
Quarter part: Garlic salt

I usually cook at 400 for about 30 minutes then drop it down to 185 for about 4 hours (let me check to make sure that is right). When you open up the foil you just pick the bones out and eat rib meat.

For dessert you can mix up some cream cheese, peanut butter and splenda about a hundred different ways and amazingly you can't screw it up.

You may could try this.

CHOCOLATE “MUFFIN”

Takes less than five minutes to make. You can add nuts to it or sunflower seeds.

RECIPE: Mix, then place in custard dish:
1 raw egg
3 tablespoons flaxseed
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
sweetener of choice (1 drop honey, couple packets stevia)

Microwave on high for 1:20.

I really like this when I need the texture of something muffin-like.

Frittatas. Bake ahead, slice, and reheat in the morning -- or eat cold.

Stay away from Splenda. Stevia is the way to go for sweetener. Lettuce wraps have replaced sandwiches for me. Potatoes, rice, bread, etc are being replaced in our house. I boil eggs for breakfast, scramble a couple with pico or make a big *** fruit smoothie for breakfast to get the day started right. A big smoothie at night usually fixes any desires for something sweet, too. The frozen fruit is usually cheaper than fresh fruit, also.

When I "need" chocolate, I went to the dark side. 4 squares of Ghirardelli Intense Dark 86% Midnight Reverie is 15 g. I used to hate dark chocolate. I now love it. This is pretty bitter, tho, but you can get used to it.

Almonds, sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, olives. For fruit, berries (love blueberries in half n half) but also right now fresh peaches.

"Cheryl's Fancy Pants Chicken"

You'll need 2 packages of THIN chicken breasts
a few slices of prosciutto
a half bag of fresh spinach
an 8 oz package of fresh sliced mushrooms
1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secret's Savory Herb and Garlic (I make my own soup mix)
1/2 C White Wine
1/4 C Olive oil
8 oz shredded mozzarella

Preheat oven to 375
Grease a 13x9 pan
Put 2 layers of chicken in pan, cover with proscuitto, top with spinach, sprinkle with a little kosher salt and coarse black pepper, top with mushrooms.
Whisk together olive oil, wine and savory herb envelope
Pour over everything.
Lay a piece of foil over (not tight)
Bake for 30 minutes
Top with cheese and bake for 5 minutes more.

I frequently made sausage and onions in the skillet. Put a little olive oil in there and let the onions carmelize a bit. Made for a quick lunch meal.

If you can, by meats without nitrates in them.

I did Atkins a few years ago and went from 218 to 192 in about 3 1/2 months. Lots of cardio too.

Learn REAL portion sizes. Stay hydrated (except for the occasional ill-advised cinnamon whiskey bender, I drink nothing but water or decaf coffee. Sometimes when you're "hungry", it's actually dehydration). Stay away from the inside aisles in the grocery store (where they keep all the processed stuff they call "food").

By and large, bread is just a "meat holder". It'll have to be an awfully good hamburger bun to make me put down my knife and fork. They don't even look funny at you if you order a Baconater with no bun at Wendy's.

If you can, by meats without nitrates in them.
That's a hard one. I still rely on lunch meats (with sliced cheese) for quick rollups but you do what you gotta do.

Almond milk, half n half or whipping cream for coffee.

Thanks for the recipes, several great ideas here. Hydration isn't a problem, all I drink during the week is water and one cup of coffee in the morning. It's the quick, tasty meals I'm most interested in, and all the little tricks.

Stay away from Splenda. Stevia is the way to go for sweetener. Lettuce wraps have replaced sandwiches for me. Potatoes, rice, bread, etc are being replaced in our house. I boil eggs for breakfast, scramble a couple with pico or make a big *** fruit smoothie for breakfast to get the day started right. A big smoothie at night usually fixes any desires for something sweet, too. The frozen fruit is usually cheaper than fresh fruit, also.

A fruit smoothie soothes your cravings for something sweet because most fruits are loaded with sugar. Sugar is carbs and therefore isn't low carb. If you want a shake do a protein shake with peanut butter and mix in some dark chocolate and cocoa powder with splenda or Stevia.

If you do go with fruits blackberries, blueberries and Raspberries are lower in sugar but still contain quite a bit.

Here is a good guide with fruit. It can make you feel good about eating it but doing as much harm as some candy.

How Much Sugar is in Your Favorite Fruit? | SparkPeople

A fruit smoothie soothes your cravings for something sweet because most fruits are loaded with sugar. Sugar is carbs and therefore isn't low carb. If you want a shake do a protein shake with peanut butter and mix in some dark chocolate and cocoa powder with splenda or Stevia.
It's not for everybody but I use Manitoba Harvest Organic Hemp Pro Fiber. It's not low carb per se; but with the fiber, the net carbs are 1 g. I mix with 6 oz. almond milk, 2 oz. coconut milk, cocoa powder, vanilla, and liquid stevia. Sometimes I also put in flax seed. The hemp is a little "earthy", but I really like it because I wanted to stay away from whey protein powders. I just gotta watch the cocoa powder because it's 3 g for, I think, 1 Tbls.

Thanks for the recipes, several great ideas here. Hydration isn't a problem, all I drink during the week is water and one cup of coffee in the morning. It's the quick, tasty meals I'm most interested in, and all the little tricks.

Awesome!

Frittata (baked egg dish). Bake ahead of time, heat up in the morning or eat cold.

Crap, I'm repeating myself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom