Lowest drafted Rookie of the Year (1 Viewer)

saintfan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I would guess that Colston has to be the front runner for Offensive Rookie of the Year so far, but does anyone know what was the lowest drafted OROTY?

And would anyone believe at the beginning of the season that the Saints could have the ROTY, and that it wouldn't be Bush?

I don't know if Colston is the front runner yet. Maroney is off to a good start. As are some others.

Reggie Bush has won as many Rookie of the Week honors as Colston - 1. Same as Maroney and 6 others. Altough Colston could/should win it this week too.

2006 Weekly Winners

Week 1: Reggie Bush
Week 2: Manny Lawson
Week 3: Greg Jennings
Week 4: Laurence Maroney
Week 5: Hank Baskett
Week 6: Santonio Holmes
Week 7: A.J. Hawk
Week 8: Marques Colston
(source: http://www.nfl.com/rookies/vote)

As for draft history, here is a list of Offensive and Defensive ROY winners. I'm sure the draft spot is located somewhere. And remember, we used to have 17 or so rounds in the draft, and scouting wasn't the science it is today, so I'm sure at some point a very late round pick won it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Defensive_Rookie_of_the_Year_Award

I think after the last two weeks, Colston has surpassed Maroney and any other challenger. So for the moment, I think he is the front runner.

That might change, but not if he keeps it up.

I think its the consensus view among most that at the half point Colston is OROY.

Mel Farr- 1st round
Earl McCullouch- 1st round
Calvin Hill- 1st round
Dennis Shaw- 2nd round
John Brockington- 1st round
Franco Harris- 1st round
Chuck Foreman- 1st round
Don Woods- 6th round
Michael Thomas- 5th round
Sammy White- 1st round
Tony Dorsett- 1st round
Earl Campbell- 1st round
Ottis Anderson- 1st round
Billy Sims- 1st round
George Rogers- 1st round
Marcus Allen- 1st round
Eric Dickerson- 1st round
Louis Lipps- 1st round
Eddie Brown- 1st round
Rueben Mayes- 3rd round
Troy Stradford- 4th round
John Stephens- 1st round
Barry Sanders- 1st round
Emmit Smith- 1st round
Leonard Russel- 1st round
Carl Pickens- 2nd round
Jerome Bettis- 1st round
Marshall Faulk- 1st round
Curtis Martin- 3rd round
Eddie George- 1st round
Warrick Dunn- 1st round
Randy Moss- 1st round
Edgerrin James- 1st round
Mike Anderson- 6th round
Anthony Thomas- 1st round
Clinton Portis- 1st round
Anquan Boldin- 2nd round
Ben Roethlisberger- 1st round
Carnell Williams- 1st round

Colston would in fact be the first OROY to that was drafted after the 6th round.

I'd say that the OROY is looking like a 5 horse race at this point, with Colston out front, Reggie, Maroney, and Greg Jennings in the middle of the pack, and Leon Washington as the dark horse.

Addai

Joseph may make a push as the season goes along. He will probably have more opportunities than Maroney.

I don't know if Colston is the front runner yet. Maroney is off to a good start. As are some others

Not the front runner?! He's hands down the front runner and it's not even close. Running backs always compile more rushing yards and TDs than WRs do receiving yards. The rushing yards record in a season is over 2000 yards, I doubt you'll ever see a wide receiver gain that in receiving yards. As for TDs Shaun Alexander broke the record last year with 27 rushing and 1 receiving. Ever think you'll see a WR haul in 27/28 TDs? LaDainian Tomlinson already has complied 828 rushing yards and 12 rushing TDs and he doesn't even lead the league in rushing. Now let's look at the leading receivers in the NFL. Colston is a mere 52 yards off Andre Johnson's leading total but with 3 more TDs (joint 1st in league with Torry Holt). When you look at receiving yards combined with TDs, Colston is the best receiver in the NFL statistically. Now let's look at Maroney - 458 rushing yards with 3 TDs. Even if you add on his receiving yards he still only has a total of 567 yards (133 shy of Marques) and 3 TDs (4 shy of Colston). The offensive rookie of the year as we stand is a 1st round knockout by Colston. At the halfway point he makes an NFL all-pro team

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom