LSU’s HC Next Year Will Be… (2 Viewers)

Definitely don't want Lane Kiffin, plus he's already the HC for Ole Miss so would he leave to come to LSU? I don't know anything about the Luke Fickel guy but Cinci is doing very well this year. I just hope we don't let Coach O go and not have any good candidates lined up and get stuck with some left overs.

Agree with you that Kiffin is a hard pass.. I disagree though, that we need someone waiting in the wings before we let go of O.. I’ve never liked that argument when it comes to replacing head coaches, becuase to me, it’s like if you’re in a bad marriage, do you get out? Or do you wait until you have another wife lined up to marry before you file for divorce?? i dont know about y’all, but I’m getting out, cutting her loose, and *then* I’ll worry about who I’m going to marry next…. All that said, i think the Tigers *will* have another HC hire identified and practically signed before they cut O loose.. I’m just saying it isn’t necessary.

Agree with you that Kiffin is a hard pass.. I disagree though, that we need someone waiting in the wings before we let go of O.. I’ve never liked that argument when it comes to replacing head coaches, becuase to me, it’s like if you’re in a bad marriage, do you get out? Or do you wait until you have another wife lined up to marry before you file for divorce?? i dont know about y’all, but I’m getting out, cutting her loose, and *then* I’ll worry about who I’m going to marry next…. All that said, i think the Tigers *will* have another HC hire identified and practically signed before they cut O loose.. I’m just saying it isn’t necessary.
I have to say that I agree with you... even though I'm sad to hear about your marital problems.

I’m going Luke Fickel. He has built a solid program at Cincy, he had success at Ohio State before Urban Meyer came in.

I agree, and let’s just get this out of the way right now, since we know it’s coming- a coach named ‘Fickell’ is absolutely perfect for the LSU fan base…………

That’s not a good analogy since in a relationship you can just be single for a while and get your stuff together, as a sports team you can just go without a HC. And hiring just anyone or promoting an interim just keeps you where you are or potentially worse.

That’s not a good analogy since in a relationship you can just be single for a while and get your stuff together, as a sports team you can just go without a HC. And hiring just anyone or promoting an interim just keeps you where you are or potentially worse.

i think this argument assumes that there aren’t many qualified people who could potentioally be HC at LSU .. but there are… I think what you’re saying, not to put words in ur mouth, is that to get the BEST of the best HC to replace O, we’d need to have that person already locked and loaded.. and again, I disagree with that.. of course it wouldn’t be ideal to have the job open for a month or two, but that’s the most it would take to find the right guy - with a competent AD like Woodward in charge.. thank god, allah, L Ron Hubbard , Tom Cruise or whoever that we don’t have Joe Alleva in charge any more… but I guess my point in all this is that I’d rather the search be done right instead of quick…. that’s IF we fire O at all, which I’m not convinced yet is the right thing to do.

i think this argument assumes that there aren’t many qualified people who could potentioally be HC at LSU .. but there are… I think what you’re saying, not to put words in ur mouth, is that to get the BEST of the best HC to replace O, we’d need to have that person already locked and loaded.. and again, I disagree with that.. of course it wouldn’t be ideal to have the job open for a month or two, but that’s the most it would take to find the right guy - with a competent AD like Woodward in charge.. thank god, allah, L Ron Hubbard , Tom Cruise or whoever that we don’t have Joe Alleva in charge any more… but I guess my point in all this is that I’d rather the search be done right instead of quick…. that’s IF we fire O at all, which I’m not convinced yet is the right thing to do.
Trust me, it IS the right thing to do. But we won't do it simply because too many folks will be hanging on to the 2019 season and will insist that he will have a similar season (or seasons) in the future. No,.. instead we will have to endure a few years of total & complete misery as we start off in the Top 20 each year and end up somewhere between 56 & 82 in the FBS rankings while Orgeron is calling the shots.

Orgeron will never get the combination of players and coaches like he had on 2019 ever again. Seriously, we either need to be satisfied with what we once had or find some new blood who understands the game from top to bottom. Thus I'm for taking our losses now and giving the reins to someone who knows how to prepare some of the top talent in the country to start playing winning football in this elite conference. LSU will soon see how much more money (and trophies) will be lost for keeping Ed around longer than we should have.

Last edited:
Trust me, it IS the right thing to do. But we won't do it simply because too many folks will be hanging on to the 2019 season like he will have a similar season (or seasons) in the future. No, instead we will have to endure a few years of total & complete misery

No offense, but as someone who’s been pretty close to the program myself over the last couple decades or so, i dont know that I’d ‘trust you’ or anyone else on SR or any message board to tell me what’s right. :hihi:

I think I may actually fall into the category of people you describe, in terms of the fact that I am hanging on to the 2019 season.. actually, it isn’t so much hanging on, as it is that I think Ed bought himself a lot of equity with , oh I don’t know, the BEST season of organized athletics in any sport.. up there with the 72 Dolphins, 85 Bears, Jordan era Bulls, anyone else you want to put it up against.. it was that good.. sorry If i don’t buy into what many are saying that Ed had almost nothing to do with it, he just ‘got lucky’.. hell , everything takes some luck, but the difference between me and the people you described above is that, while I’m willing to give Ed more time- I’m not saying he deserves another season or three if the team keeps playing like this.. but I think he’s earned enough equity to finish the season and maybe next year depending what our 2021 record winds up being.

ETA fwiw I was super duper early on the Fire Les bandwagon, like 2 or 3 years before most people I know got fed up with him.. so i try to be ahead of the curve, but with this situation and Ed, I’m not sure being early on getting rid of him is a great thing.

No offense, but as someone who’s been pretty close to the program myself over the last couple decades or so, i dont know that I’d ‘trust you’ or anyone else on SR or any message board to tell me what’s right. :hihi:

I think I may actually fall into the category of people you describe, in terms of the fact that I am hanging on to the 2019 season.. actually, it isn’t so much hanging on, as it is that I think Ed bought himself a lot of equity with , oh I don’t know, the BEST season of organized athletics in any sport.. up there with the 72 Dolphins, 85 Bears, Jordan era Bulls, anyone else you want to put it up against.. it was that good.. sorry If i don’t buy into what many are saying that Ed had almost nothing to do with it, he just ‘got lucky’.. hell , everything takes some luck, but the difference between me and the people you described above is that, while I’m willing to give Ed more time- I’m not saying he deserves another season or three if the team keeps playing like this.. but I think he’s earned enough equity to finish the season and maybe next year depending what our 2021 record winds up being.

ETA fwiw I was super duper early on the Fire Les bandwagon, like 2 or 3 years before most people I know got fed up with him.. so i try to be ahead of the curve, but with this situation and Ed, I’m not sure being early on getting rid of him is a great thing.
I absolutely buy into the 'equity' scenario. There is no doubt that he will remain as the Tigers' head coach simply because he gave LSU fans the greatest team to cheer for (and hang our hats on) than ever before. I'm not sure that any future coach will ever be able to duplicate that feat. But I do know that Ed Orgeron never will do anything like that again. Of course we really don't need that miracle to happen again to make LSU fans proud. We just need a coach who knows how to dominate the teams we are supposed to beat AND be competitive in the games where we find ourselves a bit overmatched. Right now with the exception of the ULM game I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tigers roughed up pretty badly against every other team on our schedule.

And when we start seeing this same debacle in the seasons to come, we are going to wish that we hadn't let Ed's 'equity' blind us to what is pretty undeniable at this stage of Orgeron's career. We've already gotten the most out of him that we are ever going to get from him. He caught lightning in a bottle in ways that are still unknown even to him. While I know that we will not cut our losses now, I do want to go on record as one of the folks who wanted to send him packing before this situation gets even more embarrassing than it already is.

I absolutely buy into the 'equity' scenario. There is no doubt that he will remain as the Tigers' head coach simply because he gave LSU fans the greatest team to cheer for (and hang our hats on) than ever before. I'm not sure that any future coach will ever be able to duplicate that feat. But I do know that Ed Orgeron never will do anything like that again. Of course we really don't need that miracle to happen again to make LSU fans proud. We just need a coach who knows how to dominate the teams we are supposed to beat AND be competitive in the games where we find ourselves a bit overmatched. Right now with the exception of the ULM game I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tigers roughed up pretty badly against every other team on our schedule.

And when we start seeing this same debacle in the seasons to come, we are going to wish that we hadn't let Ed's 'equity' blind us to what is pretty undeniable at this stage of Orgeron's career. We've already gotten the most out of him that we are ever going to get from him. He caught lightning in a bottle in ways that are still unknown even to him. While I know that we will not cut our losses now, I do want to go on record as one of the folks who wanted to send him packing before this situation gets even more embarrassing than it already is.

You and I agree on two things: 1 There will never be another 2019 type season… 2 and we don’t need that type of season to be proud and passionate fans…. I just think some folks are way too quick with bringing out the hook for Ed…. As far as I’m concerned, 2020 has no bearing on anything, zero.. becuase Covid, and becuase an historic numbers of players opted out, graduated, or whatever to the tune of like almost ALL our starters from that historic season.. its my opinion that NO coach, not even your savior Nick, could have done much with all the circumstances last year… So basically we are deciding to get rid of Coach O after one very mediocre half season so far, in 2021.. that’s not a big enough sample size IMO for someone who did what Ed accomplished less than 2 yrs ago… Had we lost to MS State I might feel different.. and if KY embarrasses us, I might feel different .. right now, I’m not there based on just a half season sample size.

.. and if KY embarrasses us, I might feel different ..
Prepare yourself to feel "different" Saturday evening. Very different.
I do admire your loyalty to the man. But I'm much more about the program than about any individual... whether on the field, the sideline, or the booth.
LSU needs to have a proud football program no matter what it takes. It's what makes everything else run in Tiger Town.

Prepare yourself to feel "different" Saturday evening. Very different.
I do admire your loyalty to the man.

Haha, I’m loyal to almost no one but myself and family.. I’m just not as quick on the hair trigger as the average LSU fan.

But I'm much more about the program than about any individual...

Ditto.. if the team continues to flounder under Ed and we wind up with a Fickell or Napier I’ll be thrilled.. I’m just relieved that i dont donate as much money to TAF as I have in the past dozen years or so, now I can just watch and enjoy as a fan, and if we lose it sucks but i dont have financial implications from it.

I feel like Nick Saban's tenure at Bama has skewered a lot of peoples realities of College Football. I don't know how he's kept the recruiting and coaching as consistent as he has but he is the only who has done it for as long as he has in the modern era. Even Clemson has seen a huge drop off and Ohio St. always plays a weak schedule. LSU has won 3 National Championships since 2000, which is 2nd most in that time span, Bama has 5, Clemson, Ohio St, and Florida have 2 each and the rest have 1.

People keep saying "Fire Coach O" but if you just bring in anyone to replace him who is about the same or even worse then what did you accomplish? That's why if we are going to replace Coach O it needs to be with someone who can bring the Team up and not stay the same.

That's why if we are going to replace Coach O it needs to be with someone who can bring the Team up and not stay the same.
I wholeheartedly agree. But what makes the task of getting a top guy harder now is all the bucks we threw at Orgeron after the 2019 season.
WHY?!?!? What reason would anyone do such a thing? Coaching LSU football is supposedly his dream job. He wasn't going anywhere and NO ONE was going to offer anywhere close to the amount of cash he got from LSU.

Sure, if he could have put two respectable seasons back to back, then he would have been a hot commodity and LSU would likely have needed to up the ante. But he is nothing more than a great recruiter who had one lucky season. All we managed to do was hamstring ourselves from getting a top candidate by being financially married to this guy for the next few years. :banghead:

I'm sure we could have brought in a real football guy and eventually taught him to say "Geaux Tigahs!" with a gravelly voice. :hm:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom