LSU #1 in AP as well, USG #3 (1 Viewer)

Nope. I'm too stupid. You got me. I've been exposed. I'm a bumbling moron who doesn't hold a candle to the bright spark, that dazzling intellect of yours. If you'll excuse me, i'm going outside to eat some dirt.

No need to engage in hyperbole. I just wanted some spirited debate. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.:dunno:

You're saying that a team that gets in as an 8 seed in a playoff with 3 losses and goes on to win is the undisputed #1 team in the nation? Say USC went undefeated and #1 throughout the year. They were placed in that same bracket as that 3 loss team but had a QB that got hurt and was out for two quarters, and they lost the playoff game because of that. You honestly think that the media will accept that 3 loss team as the undisputed #1? Come on man.

You're assuming that when Division IA implements a playoff system, that players will no longer get hurt, coaches will no longer search for other jobs before the end of the season, etc etc. The controversy will not end.

I'll use my LSU as an example. Coach was in the middle of controversy re: the Michigan job, which still wasn't put to rest after his press conference. Their starting QB was out for the SEC CG that followed the press conference, in which they beat a team that handed UGA their lunch. THEY WON ANYWAY. Championship teams are a TEAM, not just ONE PLAYER. As geauxboy said in another thread, is it the team or merely the one player that is great? Yes, I know that ESPN/the media will provide every excuse for USC if one key player goes down, but not for any other team. I'll say it again, we need another national sports network to compete with them. The comments Corso made regarding Dorsey, combined with their lust for USC is simply embarrassing. My non-LSU fan friends agree with me. I truly think now is a key time for another sports network to step up and challenge them. I guarantee that many would jump ship.

I'll use my LSU as an example. Coach was in the middle of controversy re: the Michigan job, which still wasn't put to rest after his press conference. Their starting QB was out for the SEC CG that followed the press conference, in which they beat a team that handed UGA their lunch. THEY WON ANYWAY. Championship teams are a TEAM, not just ONE PLAYER. As geauxboy said in another thread, is it the team or merely the one player that is great? Yes, I know that ESPN/the media will provide every excuse for USC if one key player goes down, but not for any other team. I'll say it again, we need another national sports network to compete with them. The comments Corso made regarding Dorsey, combined with their lust for USC is simply embarrassing. My non-LSU fan friends agree with me. I truly think now is a key time for another sports network to step up and challenge them. I guarantee that many would jump ship.

Oh I agree with you, and I'm an LSU fan as well. My point is that playoffs will not solve anything for all of the people that want it. There will still be controversy, mainly because the whole season is still based mostly on human polls. It's just a convenient card to throw out there when their team has a disappointing season. USC wanted no parts of a playoff after they beat OU a couple of years back.

So, Goldrush, help me out here. Is your main arguement that you can never pick with certainity the top 4-8 teams for a playoff so you might as well keep the current system? The same can be said for the NFL or any playoff system. There will always be someone left out who has a case that they should of made it. Hell, the Saints may of been the best team in the NFC in 2004 when they missed out on a technicality.

The best playoff system would be 6 BCS conf. champions and two wildcard teams with the best SOS/win total. That way theres no debate. Or you could simply let the BCS formula's still decide it. Either way, taking the top 8 or even the top 4, it would be hard to have an arguement that one of those teams isn't the best. Look at how it works now. The controversy is always over the number 1 team vs. someone in the 2-5 range. If you let the top 8 play it out you'd never have a controversy. Whens the last time you heard the number 9 team make a case they should of been the best team?

Too bad profits and tv time will keep that from happenin. Isn't that the main focus of the Bowl matchups anyway? Same as the regualr season. There's a reason that all the big schools play the lower echelon teams. The small school gets some recognition and tv money and the big school gets an easy win (unless you're Michigan :hihi:)

I agree with bonchie...somewhere in that top 4-8 you'll find someone who has a legitimate gripe that they should have a shot. LSU jumped from #7 to #2 in that final week and won the NC game, thanks to a strong schedule, two OT losses vs. being blown out, and a nicely timed SEC championship game. The top team can very well be in that top 8, as proven this year. Teams in the past that have a legitimate gripe to being overlooked are USC from 2003, Auburn from 2004, and perhaps, maybe even UGA this year, although if you look at it, LSU was in the same situation last year...finished very, very strong but didn't win their conference, and therefore didn't get a shot at the NC game...rightfully so. Anyway, a small playoff system would still maintain the importance of performing well for the entire season, but would allow teams like 2003 USC and 2004 Auburn the shot at the NC game that they deserve.

So, Goldrush, help me out here. Is your main arguement that you can never pick with certainity the top 4-8 teams for a playoff so you might as well keep the current system? The same can be said for the NFL or any playoff system. There will always be someone left out who has a case that they should of made it. Hell, the Saints may of been the best team in the NFC in 2004 when they missed out on a technicality.

The best playoff system would be 6 BCS conf. champions and two wildcard teams with the best SOS/win total. That way theres no debate. Or you could simply let the BCS formula's still decide it. Either way, taking the top 8 or even the top 4, it would be hard to have an arguement that one of those teams isn't the best. Look at how it works now. The controversy is always over the number 1 team vs. someone in the 2-5 range. If you let the top 8 play it out you'd never have a controversy. Whens the last time you heard the number 9 team make a case they should of been the best team?

My main gripe is that with 119 teams, 8 teams for a playoff is not large enough of a representation for the playoff to be considered fair. It only seems like this 8 team playoff would be beneficial for the haves as opposed to the have-nots. Your playoff structure still strongly favors the BCS conferences. If we want to incorporate NFL playoff aspects you have to include reprentatives from ALL conferences, as does the NCAA tourney. I can't see how an 8 team playoff works in a 119-team league.

All of it is still based on human polls for the most part. With playoffs I just think you're putting out one giant fire, but starting several smaller fires.

My main gripe is that with 119 teams, 8 teams for a playoff is not large enough of a representation for the playoff to be considered fair. It only seems like this 8 team playoff would be beneficial for the haves as opposed to the have-nots. Your playoff structure still strongly favors the BCS conferences. If we want to incorporate NFL playoff aspects you have to include reprentatives from ALL conferences, as does the NCAA tourney. I can't see how an 8 team playoff works in a 119-team league.

All of it is still based on human polls for the most part. With playoffs I just think you're putting out one giant fire, but starting several smaller fires.

The problem is you aren't giving every 119 teams a shot at the national championship. You are still giving everyone their crappy little New Orleans Bowl or GMAC Bowl and stuff like that. Therefore the other teams still have something to play for. The 8 team playoff simply allows a true number one to be crowned by the field and not the media.

The problem is you aren't giving every 119 teams a shot at the national championship. You are still giving everyone their crappy little New Orleans Bowl or GMAC Bowl and stuff like that. Therefore the other teams still have something to play for. The 8 team playoff simply allows a true number one to be crowned by the field and not the media.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think the plus 1 is the only realistic way to do this thing if you want to do a "playoff". There's essentially no difference between the two. I just think if they do this they should do it right, and not just to where it's beneficial for teams that don't take care of business. Under 8 team playoff Hawaii wouldn't have gotten in this year. You think that would have been accepted?

Under 8 team playoff Hawaii wouldn't have gotten in this year. You think that would have been accepted?

Do you think Hawaii would sniff a BCS bowl if they were to be undefeated again next season? The simple fact is that Hawaii should have been playing in the Humanitarian Bowl despite being 12-0. Beating a subpar Washington team as the highlight of the season is pretty sad.

Do you think Hawaii would sniff a BCS bowl if they were to be undefeated again next season? The simple fact is that Hawaii should have been playing in the Humanitarian Bowl despite being 12-0. Beating a subpar Washington team as the highlight of the season is pretty sad.

Well it's easy to say that in hindsight, but the reality is that more than a few people thought that UH was worthy of being in the BCS. Had a playoff system been in place already, they would've been left out and all hell would've broken loose. There will be other "Hawaiis" in the future, and it'll the same thing all over again.

I'm satisfied with UGA's place. A young team that put it all together at the end of the season should be very pleased to be in this position. Now, we are set up nicely for a title run next year. If USC can hang, and doesn't hide behind the "contractual obligation" of playing in the Rose Bowl, then they may get a shot. 2008, the year of the DAWG. Congrats to LSU on the victory. Well deserved Championship to the most talented team in the nation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom