LSU #1 in AP as well, USG #3 (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know when LSU will be receiving the coveted AP trophy and what time the ceremony will be?

Once their "trophy" is finished being printed off of the newspaper printing press, it will be framed and shipped to LSU forthwith.

That's a much sweeter than the piece of work they gave SC in 2003. Their's looked more like a paperweight. I guess they figured if they wanted to be legitimate they should at least hand out a trophy that's similar in size to the BCS trophy.

I think that Skip should ship it to SC...

I don't know why so many in the media are even trying to make a case for Georgia or USC. If there had been a 4 team playoff, as most seem to think is the best, most feasible playoff system, neither Georgia nor USC would have been included. The 4 teams would have been:

1)OSU
2)LSU
3)Virginia Tech
4)Oklahoma

LSU #1....congrats to the Tigers and their fans

I don't know why so many in the media are even trying to make a case for Georgia or USC. If there had been a 4 team playoff, as most seem to think is the best, most feasible playoff system, neither Georgia nor USC would have been included. The 4 teams would have been:

1)OSU
2)LSU
3)Virginia Tech
4)Oklahoma

:worthy: :potd:

It would be nice if someone in the media would acknowledge that in the much-hyped "+1 system" that is now being bandied about as the most reasonable solution by many in the coaching ranks and the media, neither team would have been in that type of playoff system. Well said, um, I pretty much just repeated you, didn't I?...

It would be nice if someone in the media would acknowledge that in the much-hyped "+1 system" that is now being bandied about as the most reasonable solution by many in the coaching ranks and the media, neither team would have been in that type of playoff system. Well said, um, I pretty much just repeated you, didn't I?...
You misunderstand. The "plus 1" system refers to the winner of the bowl games playing USC who receives an automatic bid to the Championship game every year. The current system cannot guarantee that USC will be given the opportunity to win the MNC every year. In the event that they lose the "plus 1" game, they will be given the AP trophy.

This wrong must be corrected!

You misunderstand. The "plus 1" system refers to the winner of the bowl games playing USC who receives an automatic bid to the Championship game every year. The current system cannot guarantee that USC will be given the opportunity to win the MNC every year. In the event that they lose the "plus 1" game, they will be given the AP trophy.

This wrong must be corrected!

The sad thing is, that your sarcasm will become reality when the +1 starts in 2010. Because USC always goes to the rose bowl, they will always get to play whatever powderpuff big 10 team is in the top 4 that year (for the sake of "tradition" of course). They will be in the NCG every year.

Last edited:

1)OSU
2)LSU
3)Virginia Tech
4)Oklahoma

That's not true. Had the voters not gone out of their way to try and exclude a non-conference champ from the title game, UGA would have finished third or forth in the BCS.

"Four team playoff" and "plus one system" aren't necessarily synonymous. One form of the plus one system seeds the top four teams and works out like a playoff. However, another form of the plus one system reevaluates the polls after the completion of the bowls and lets the two top teams play. Under this latter form of plus one, UGA or USC would play LSU for the national title game.

Besides, I contend that if a four team playoff were in place, the voters wouldn't have gone out of their way to keep UGA out. UGA likely would not have been jumped by LSU, Oklahoma, and VT.

"Four team playoff" and "plus one system" aren't necessarily synonymous. One form of the plus one system seeds the top four teams and works out like a playoff. However, another form of the plus one system reevaluates the polls after the completion of the bowls and lets the two top teams play. Under this latter form of plus one, UGA or USC would play LSU for the national title game.

Besides, I contend that if a four team playoff were in place, the voters wouldn't have gone out of their way to keep UGA out. UGA likely would not have been jumped by LSU, Oklahoma, and VT.

So do we not know what the +1 system will be in 2010?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3185000

The traditional "plus one" model is the second form I mentioned -- where an extra game is played by the top two ranked teams at the completion of the bowls. Now its seems like the four team playoff (called a "seeded plus one" for political reasons) is gaining steam, as the ACC and SEC have stated their preference for the four team playoff model. However, this form will be more difficult to gain the approval of the Big 10 and Pac 10 since it more resembles a playoff than the traditional model.

As far as 2010 goes, neither model has been accepted and it is still very much up in the air as to whether either will be accepted. 2010 merely represents the earliest possible year any change could occur since that's when the TV contracts expire.

I like how it's voters "went out of the way to jump Georgia" when it was really just writers jumping LSU and OU over them after wins while Georgia was "idle".

LSU beats #14 Tennessee
OU beats #1 Missouri
Georgia sits at home and watches games.

I like how it's voters "went out of the way to jump Georgia" when it was really just writers jumping LSU and OU over them after wins while Georgia was "idle".

LSU beats #14 Tennessee
OU beats #1 Missouri
Georgia sits at home and watches games.

And after the 2004 debacle when OU went to the NC game despite losing their conference championship, leaving USC out in the cold, the importance of NOT losing your conference has grown in the minds of the voters, IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom