LSU #1 in AP as well, USG #3 (1 Viewer)

and Oregon was the hottest team in the nation when Dixon went down

Every team loses players.

And the fact is - when Booty went down - ALOT of USC fans were happy to see Sanchez get into the game because they felt he was a better quarterback.

How a team deals with adversity like this is a true test, IMO. It doesn't have to be pretty when you lose a key player, that's understandable -- LSU struggled at times without Dorsey and lost two close OT games, but never got completely dominated in those games, and they adjusted well to the other injuries (Doucet, Flynn -- RP stepped up nicely in the SECCG in Flynn's absence). Booty went out, and USC loses in a decisive fashion. Oregon loses Dixon and then they fall out of consideration completely. Injuries are part of the game, and a championship calibre team has the depth and the coaching to overcome it in any way that they can. Oregon didn't, USC didn't, LSU did.

Injuries can and do show weaknesses in a team's system and overall team talent. If you can't be just as competitive with a backup or two while you play unranked teams, then you have clearly shown that you are NOT the best team. If the USG loss is attributed to JDB being hurt, then it's the player that is very good, not the team.

#1: LSU
#2: UGA
#3: USC

That's the way it'll go down in the history books and that's the way it is. Get used to it USG. PAC 10 fans should scream for a playoffs. Otherwise, #3 is where you'll be and you don't get the chance to prove how much better you thought you were.

Anyone notice that ESPN now has a poll for who the best team in the country is?
Disney just can't let it go, especially after seeing their media darling USG end up #3 in the AP. They obviously feel slighted, so they want to show the rest of the media that the country really feels the same way they do. Of course, Disney employees are probably provided a program for voting constantly on the poll (and it no doubt only lets them vote for USG)...
Hey, Disney, call 1-800-WAAH and stop making fools of yourselves on national television.

LSU is the best team in the country. PERIOD.

Anyone notice that ESPN now has a poll for who the best team in the country is?
Disney just can't let it go, especially after seeing their media darling USG end up #3 in the AP. They obviously feel slighted, so they want to show the rest of the media that the country really feels the same way they do. Of course, Disney employees are probably provided a program for voting constantly on the poll (and it no doubt only lets them vote for USG)...
Hey, Disney, call 1-800-WAAH and stop making fools of yourselves on national television.

LSU is the best team in the country. PERIOD.

:HugeRedX:

LSU is the national champion. Are they the best team in the country? No one can say that for certain. To get all :mad: because sportswriters are exploring the idea that another team may be better than LSU is :lol:. I think the entire country, save Ohio, firmly believed that Ohio had no business being in the NCG. Therefore it is impossible to say that LSU is the best team in the country because they won the NCG. One of the keys to the BCS' longevity is the fact that this busted *** system ****** people off. It irks people because now there is so much room to argue one way or another that LSU is or is not the best in the country. Until there is a playoff system there will almost never be a team the entire country believes is the best in the country. LSU has only proven they are better than OSU and are National Champs. That does not prove they are the best team in the country. As stated repeatedly all over the board, arguments that there are other teams that are better than LSU right now are very very good as well as plausible. Arguments that other teams deserve a national championship are weak.

Texas and B.C. tied for #10?

Tennessee at #12?

Auburn at #15?

GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK!!

:HugeRedX:

LSU is the national champion. Are they the best team in the country? No one can say that for certain. To get all :mad: because sportswriters are exploring the idea that another team may be better than LSU is :lol:. I think the entire country, save Ohio, firmly believed that Ohio had no business being in the NCG. Therefore it is impossible to say that LSU is the best team in the country because they won the NCG. One of the keys to the BCS' longevity is the fact that this busted *** system ****** people off. It irks people because now there is so much room to argue one way or another that LSU is or is not the best in the country. Until there is a playoff system there will almost never be a team the entire country believes is the best in the country. LSU has only proven they are better than OSU and are National Champs. That does not prove they are the best team in the country. As stated repeatedly all over the board, arguments that there are other teams that are better than LSU right now are very very good as well as plausible. Arguments that other teams deserve a national championship are weak.

Well if that's your argument there's never been a year where we are certain who the best team in the nation is. USC homers would have you believe that they were the best team in 2003, 2004, and 2005. Yet in '03 LSU won the NC, in '04 USC won it but Auburn went undefeated. In 2005 they lost to what they would tell you is an inferior Texas team. So when has there ever been a definite #1?
:dunno:

Playoffs would be a bigger mess than we have now. We would have possible 3-loss teams winning the NC. When USC's QB goes down in the quarterfinal and they lose their first game of the season, ESPN will be talking about how they are truly the best team in the country and that 3 loss Tennessee shouldn't be the champs. It will be worse dude, trust me.

Well if that's your argument there's never been a year where we are certain who the best team in the nation is. USC homers would have you believe that they were the best team in 2003, 2004, and 2005. Yet in '03 LSU won the NC, in '04 USC won it but Auburn went undefeated. In 2005 they lost to what they would tell you is an inferior Texas team. So when has there ever been a definite #1?
:dunno:

Playoffs would be a bigger mess than we have now. We would have possible 3-loss teams winning the NC. When USC's QB goes down in the quarterfinal and they lose their first game of the season, ESPN will be talking about how they are truly the best team in the country and that 3 loss Tennessee shouldn't be the champs. It will be worse dude, trust me.

In paragraph one, you make my point with the exception of your last sentence. USC can cry that they lost to an inferior Texas team, but Texas proved they were better. I would actually state that Texas is probably one of the only teams in recent history where you could say they would be the undisputed #1 in the country.

Playoffs on the other hand would clear up everything because every team has the chance to prove they are the best by winning their way to the top. There isn't much room for an argument that you're number one if you couldn't win your way past the top teams. This cuts out all of the strength of conference/schedule crying and the we were screwed out of a shot at the NCG.

In paragraph one, you make my point with the exception of your last sentence. USC can cry that they lost to an inferior Texas team, but Texas proved they were better. I would actually state that Texas is probably one of the only teams in recent history where you could say they would be the undisputed #1 in the country.

Playoffs on the other hand would clear up everything because every team has the chance to prove they are the best by winning their way to the top. There isn't much room for an argument that you're number one if you couldn't win your way past the top teams. This cuts out all of the strength of conference/schedule crying and the we were screwed out of a shot at the NCG.

You're saying that a team that gets in as an 8 seed in a playoff with 3 losses and goes on to win is the undisputed #1 team in the nation? Say USC went undefeated and #1 throughout the year. They were placed in that same bracket as that 3 loss team but had a QB that got hurt and was out for two quarters, and they lost the playoff game because of that. You honestly think that the media will accept that 3 loss team as the undisputed #1? Come on man.

You're assuming that when Division IA implements a playoff system, that players will no longer get hurt, coaches will no longer search for other jobs before the end of the season, etc etc. The controversy will not end.

Last edited:
You're saying that a team that gets in as an 8 seed in a playoff with 3 losses and goes on to win is the undisputed #1 team in the nation? Say USC went undefeated and #1 throughout the year. They were placed in that same bracket as that 3 loss team but had a QB that got hurt and was out for two quarters, and they lost the playoff game because of that. You honestly think that the media will accept that 3 loss team as the undisputed #1? Come on man.

You're assuming that when Division IA implements a playoff system, that players will no longer get hurt, coaches will no longer search for other jobs before the end of the season, etc etc. The controversy will not end.

Do it every day in every other sports league. Do it in NCAA Basketball. Do it in the NFL. Do it in the NBA, Hockey, Soccer, etc. Do it in College Baseball. Do it in High School football.

Do it everywhere...except college football.

They'd (the media) have no choice in the matter. The problem with NCAA 1-A football is that teams don't have an oppertunity to prove they are worthy of a shot. It's all up to voters. A playoff system, however, puts the responsibility to prove a team deserves the championship on the teams. Look at the NFL, you really think that if NE gets bounced by Jacksonville, regardless of injury, that the media will have any ground with an argument that NE should be the SB champion? No, of course not, because NE wouldn't have shown themselves worthy.

Do it every day in every other sports league. Do it in NCAA Basketball. Do it in the NFL. Do it in the NBA, Hockey, Soccer, etc. Do it in College Baseball. Do it in High School football.

Do it everywhere...except college football.

Dude Div. 1A football and everything else is apples and oranges. I know you're smart enough to realize this.

Div. 1A football vs. NCAA basketball - True enough there are over 300 teams in college basketball. However due to the much more extensive regular season schedule of basketball, we are able to get a much better sample of who is elite and who is not. You don't have 20 teams going 24-2, despite the amount of teams out there. Really a lot easier to set up a playoff here.

Div 1A football vs. NFL. There are a lot fewer teams in the NFL than college football. Also they play more regular season games. Easier to set up a playoff due to the fact that we are able to get a more accurate sample of who's more dominant. 12 teams from the NFL make the playoffs. It would take 45 college football teams to get the same percentage of teams in the playoffs.

Div 1A footbal vs. hockey, soccer, NBA - SEE NFL and COLLEGE BASKETBALL

Div 1A football vs. college baseball - SEE COLLEGE BASKETBALL

High school??? Are you serious??? I think in Louisiana alone there are like 5 to 6 different divisions that all hold their own championships.

The closest argument would be towards Div IAA playoffs. But if you take a good look at their playoff system, it's really archaic with certain divisions that get automatic bids, others are invited, and others abstain from the playoffs all together. It's a mess and if Div IA adapted something like they have, it would be much worse than what we have now.

Whatever 8 game playoff deal that people think they want, it's going to turn out to be unfufilling in my opinion. There's really no way to make this equitable. An 8 team playoff is only beneficial to teams on the fringe of excellence that didn't take care of business in the regular season.

Last edited:

Exactly what I'm saying

I'm not assuming no one will get hurt or any of that other stuff. I'm simply assuming that the controversy will end because the reason why people have room to argue is gone. Sure little *****y homers can complain they didn't get a fair shake or injury this or injury that, but injuries are a part of the game. The only way to prove you are number one is to get out on the field and prove it. For the XX teams you have in the playoffs, they will have no legitimate argument for being number 1. Win or go home, do or die, etc etc etc. Until then there will always be an opening for sure you're national champion, but we're better.

As I understand it, NCAA rules won't allow a conference championship game unless there are 12 or more teams in the conference. Maybe Hawaii and Boise State would be interested.

Sounds like a loophole to keep the PAC 10 and Big 10 under 12 teams so they don't have to have a conference championship.

Does anyone know when LSU will be receiving the coveted AP trophy and what time the ceremony will be?

Dude Div. 1A football and everything else is apples and oranges. I know you're smart enough to realize this.

Nope. I'm too stupid. You got me. I've been exposed. I'm a bumbling moron who doesn't hold a candle to the bright spark, that dazzling intellect of yours. If you'll excuse me, i'm going outside to eat some dirt.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom