LSU and our Offense - Burrows (1 Viewer)

Mel Kiper said yesterday that there's Joe Burrow and then everyone else in this draft - even the early #1 projection of Chase Young, who he says will be picked by the Giants at #2 without thinking about it. He backed it up with his amazing second year at LSU compared to what was a pedestrian year the season before. Last year, he didn't have a single game with 70% completions. This year, he hasn't had a game with less than that. He's going to break Colt McCoy's record and do it playing in a conference that plays defense, unlike the Big XII.

It’s ridiculous how good Burrow has been this year. Almost unbelievable. And not to dog on the OP, but saying he’s not even guaranteed to go top ten is just asinine IMO. I think he’s guaranteed to go #1 overall.

Mel Kiper said yesterday that there's Joe Burrow and then everyone else in this draft - even the early #1 projection of Chase Young, who he says will be picked by the Giants at #2 without thinking about it. He backed it up with his amazing second year at LSU compared to what was a pedestrian year the season before. Last year, he didn't have a single game with 70% completions. This year, he hasn't had a game with less than that. He's going to break Colt McCoy's record and do it playing in a conference that plays defense, unlike the Big XII.

This go to show how critical coaching is. Imo, if orgeron had stayed with the old 3 yards and a cloud of dust,Burrow doesn't become
the Qb he is now.

This go to show how critical coaching is. Imo, if orgeron had stayed with the old 3 yards and a cloud of dust,Burrow doesn't become
the Qb he is now.
Yup. Orgeron was smart enough to know what he doesn't know and go out and get someone who does. It didn't hurt that he was Payton's D-Line coach in 2006 (I think, it may have been another year) and had the connection to get Payton to let Brady go to LSU where he could raise his profile without it hurting the Saints. Brady has big things coming for him in the future if they can manage to keep this offense rolling for a couple/few more years. I'm hoping Brennan is capable of running it at least close to how Burrow has. The other bonus of this new offense, top QB prospects will actually want to go to LSU now where in the past they'd never consider it because of the archaic Les Miles offense.

It’s ridiculous how good Burrow has been this year. Almost unbelievable. And not to dog on the OP, but saying he’s not even guaranteed to go top ten is just asinine IMO. I think he’s guaranteed to go #1 overall.

And did it playing the toughest schedule in college football. I'm not sure why anybody is left doubting what it is he's accomplished and how that translates to his draft stock. He's not some kid who put up gaudy stats in a gimmicky offense in the PAC 10.

And did it playing the toughest schedule in college football. I'm not sure why anybody is left doubting what it is he's accomplished and how that translates to his draft stock. He's not some kid who put up gaudy stats in a gimmicky offense in the PAC 10.

because it’s LSU and if you like anything they do, you’re a homer with purple and gold glasses.

Only way we get Burrow is if he suffers a shoulder injury in the playoffs that doctors aren't sure he'll recover from and Miami passes on him in the draft.
One more time...

1I7TUZe.gif

So now... how do we get Saban back to Miami??? :scratch:

Last edited:
The most coveted prospect is going to be Chase Young.

As for Burrow being the best QB prospect in years:

Mahomes - 24 years old, 2018 MVP
Burrow - 23 years old, 0 NFL starts
Jackson - 22 years old, 2019 MVP (likely)

The most coveted prospect is going to be Chase Young.

As for Burrow being the best QB prospect in years:

Mahomes - 24 years old, 2018 MVP
Burrow - 23 years old, 0 NFL starts
Jackson - 22 years old, 2019 MVP (likely)

Comparing Joe to Mahommes and jackson isnt apples to apples. Would be the same as comparing Rodgers to Newton. The true dual threat QBs are almost a completely different position to pocket passers with moderate mobility.

The only thing, IMO, that could cause Burrow to slide a little would be teams wanting the next Mahommes or Jackson typeinstead of the next Brees or Brady type. Regardless, he wouldnt fall far enough for us to be able to trade up to get him... dammit.

Organizations with coaching staffs feeling their seat warming up, that needs an almost immediate success at the QB position might opt for a dual threat. One with long term designs may want a mobile but more traditional passer.

The real question is, has Sean taken his system and made it too complicated.
Now, I know I'm talking College vs Pro's, but LSU does two things that stand out as different from the Saints.

1. They run Slant routes and let the WR's pick up YAC and occasionally take shots deep downfield. They also will get the TE involved, but they don't substitute nearly as much as we do. They keep the same guys on the field and change out more on a series basis.

2. They let their RB's have a series and stick with the Hot Hand. This is something Sean has always struggled with. He'd let Ingram run on 1st down, Ingram would get 10 yards, then Sean would send him to the bench.....WHY?!!!

Again, you can't argue with the success we had offensively Sunday, but he could make things so much easier on our offense. He could still run mismatch concepts and not water anything down, but if it's working...run it until they stop you.

Can someone please tell me who was last great qb to be drafted number 1 overall. Was it manning?
From what I can find on average the better qbs from a draft are normally not the first qbs taken.

Can someone please tell me who was last great qb to be drafted number 1 overall. Was it manning?
From what I can find on average the better qbs from a draft are normally not the first qbs taken.

Great is in the eye of the beholder, and great doesn't come along often in any round, but Andrew Luck and Cam Newton were both selected #1 overall, and they were franchise QB's.

Jury still out on Murray and Mayfield, and even Goff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom