LSU @ Bama - 9 November 2019 (1 Viewer)

Poison

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Hey guys

Sorry in advance for the self-indulgent thread, but I was looking at coming to NOLA for a stretch of Saints games this season in November. I noticed LSU is scheduled to play Alabama at Bama on Saturday 9 November 2019 but no time for the match has been set as yet.

A few questions:

Is it hard to get to Alabama from New Orleans (and any suggestions how to get there?) What time is the game likely to be? And, most importantly, would we be able to get back to NOLA the Saturday evening so we were able to be up early to tailgate ahead of the Panthers game at midday the following day?

Thank you!

Tuscaloosa is a 4-5 hour drive from New Orleans. The LSU/bama game is always in prime time on CBS (7pm local time). Tickets will be selling for 3-4 times face value on stubhub, etc. Your best bet is to find a bar to watch it in Nola and get up early to start tailgating here for the Saints game.

Tuscaloosa is a 4-5 hour drive from New Orleans. The LSU/bama game is always in prime time on CBS (7pm local time). Tickets will be selling for 3-4 times face value on stubhub, etc. Your best bet is to find a bar to watch it in Nola and get up early to start tailgating here for the Saints game.

I agree with this.

I have season tickets for both the Saints and the Tigers.. in the past, i’v tried attending both an LSU night game and a Saints noon game the next day; i wont say it’s impossible, but if you do a Saints or LSU game right, they both take a lot out of you, energy-wise.. attending two games in one weekend becomes more like a chore than fun.. and THAT’s when they’re only playing an hour apart, in NOLA and Baton Rouge, i cant even imagine how much of a hassle it would be to do it when they’re playing in Tuscalooser.. just watch the LSU game in the Quarter, there will literally be hundreds of tv’s tuned to it, then attend the Saints on Sunday.

take the train. Straight shot out of New Orleans to downtown Tuscaloosa and it's a blast

Thanks for all the feedback guys. If it's a 7pm start on Saturday night in Alabama, and a six-hour train journey back to NOLA (or 4-5 hour drive, complicated by the fact that I am accustomed to driving on the left side of the road), maybe we are better to stay and watch it at a bar in New Orleans. It seems like we actually - literally - might not have the time to do both even if we wanted to.

There is an LSU-Arkansas game a few weeks later on 23 November at Tiger Stadium (followed by the Saints hosting the Panthers the following day at midday), so maybe we are better to do those two games. I assume it's not too difficult to get back to NOLA from Baton Rouge after a game on Saturday night.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. If it's a 7pm start on Saturday night in Alabama, and a six-hour train journey back to NOLA (or 4-5 hour drive, complicated by the fact that I am accustomed to driving on the left side of the road), maybe we are better to stay and watch it at a bar in New Orleans. It seems like we actually - literally - might not have the time to do both even if we wanted to.

There is an LSU-Arkansas game a few weeks later on 23 November at Tiger Stadium (followed by the Saints hosting the Panthers the following day at midday), so maybe we are better to do those two games. I assume it's not too difficult to get back to NOLA from Baton Rouge after a game on Saturday night.

Yeah that’d be better.. honestly, even though i’m not fan of squeezing two games into a weekend, it’s definitely doable, especially if you’re on vacation.. only thing to keep in mind is if the Tiger game is at night, dont plan on getting back to NOLA til 2 or 3 in the morning on Sunday, as traffic in Baton Rouge after LSU games is really bad.. Would be much better if the LSU game winds up being an afternoon game, though that probably wont be announced til like mid-November.

Thanks Mr Blue Sky. I figured we might struggle to get back to NOLA in a timely fashion on the Saturday night and noted your comments above about the difficulties with doing two games in a single weekend, but it's a long way from Australia and you never know when we'll be back again (well, likely for the Super Bowl if we make it, or two years after that, but who knows!?)

Am I to assume there is no train or bus that runs from Baton Rouge to NOLA late on a Saturday night? I can see a MegaBus timetable which seems to suggest we could get a bus at 4.50am. I think I'd rather cop a $130 Uber.

Thanks Mr Blue Sky. I figured we might struggle to get back to NOLA in a timely fashion on the Saturday night and noted your comments above about the difficulties with doing two games in a single weekend, but it's a long way from Australia and you never know when we'll be back again (well, likely for the Super Bowl if we make it, or two years after that, but who knows!?)

Am I to assume there is no train or bus that runs from Baton Rouge to NOLA late on a Saturday night? I can see a MegaBus timetable which seems to suggest we could get a bus at 4.50am. I think I'd rather cop a $130 Uber.

I got lucky last year; out of 8 Saints home games, there were only 2 that occurred the same weekend as an LSU home game- so i didnt have to worry about conflicts very often.. as you said though, if you’re coming all this way, then it’s definitely worth trying to do both.

There are embarrassingly few public transportation options to get from Baton Rouge to New Orleans, or vice versa.. that said, for LSU home games, i have heard that there are buses that go between the two cities for fans who want to drink and not drive; i’m not familiar with the Megabus you mentioned, but I’m guessing there are others.. however, those may be for members of certain clubs and not open to general public- so yes, i would just bite the bullet and plan on getting an expensive Uber.. i would say, based on past experience, there’s probably a reasonably good chance that the LSU/Arky game will be a 2:30 pm start time, which would make everything a lot easier for you, though again, we wont know that for months.

Either way, you are in for quite a treat.. while i love the Saints, there is absolutely nothing I’ve ever experienced like an LSU home SEC game.. the tailgating prior to the game is truly a spectacle, bring your appetite and simply start conversations with as many random people as you can- i promise you that as soon as they hear your accent, they will invite you in , feed you, and show you our way of life.. and of course, being in the Dome for a Saints game while Drew is still playing QB is something you’ll absolutely love.. the energy is incredible, and while there isn’t a pregame tailgating scene that is on par with LSU, *after* the Saints game you can head to the Quarter for the best postgame scene in the NFL, win or lose!

Vs Arkansas, wont be too bad leaving Baton Rouge ( vs say Florida or Bama game ) . We always just stop off at Chimes to allow peak traffic to subside and still get home around 12/1am for those 7pm night games. 6pm lil better- 11-1130 ( to the Northshore which is about 10 miles shorter trip than to NO )

Not much more to add on top of what Blue Sky said other than a group of guys that used to sit in front of my seats did that a few years back....LSU in Tuscaloosa then Saints home Noon game. They were still drunk. No sleep. But also mid 20s.

I wouldnt DARE attempt that feat at 48 for fear that my liver would just say " i quit".

I've never checked in to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a charter bus service that goes from NOLA to/from LSU games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom