LSU Baseball 2008 (1 Viewer)

bop

Very Banned
Reaction score
LSU opened the season tonight with a 7-1 win over the Indiana Hoosiers. Not exactly a baseball power, but 1-0 beats 0-1. So, any thoughts on how LSU will do this season?

I really think they are about two years away from national title contention (should the core of players stay in college). Anything they do before then is lagniappe.

Indiana scores 4 in the 8th but LSU holds on to win 5-4 and start the season 2-0.

Well, LSU lost 7-6 tonight. I was really hoping for the series sweep. These are the kinds of teams we need to sweep before the competition picks up. Oh well, 2-1 isnt too bad and could certainly be worse.

Looks like we still need to find the pitching...

Probably take some time to develop some of the newbies I'm guessing.

I would say both Tulane and possibly UNO will end up having a better year than LSU this season.

barely get out of the regional... get swept in the super.

WOW. That's some seriously potent Kool-Aid.
LSU will probably be a 3 seed (possibly a 2) and not make it out of a Regional.
ULL will probably be a 2 seed and have very good chance to make the Super Regional.
Tulane will probably be a 2 seed and if things come together then they will host but be an underdog to win the SR.
UNO looks like a 3 seed but will be a very dangerous team.
Southern should also make the tourney making LA. very well represented once again.

Agreed this is too early but it's out there for viewing.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/2008/preview/2008preseasonbracket.html

Last edited:
1. I only predicted a couple more wins than you did, so I don't see where this seriously potent Kool-Aid is coming from.
2. The super regional largely depends on how kind the bracket gods are to LSU baseball, and perhaps we can get super lucky and convince them to award us a regional due to it being the last year in the legendary Alex box.
3. I am predicting major improvements throughout the season from the team you see today. We had the #1 recruiting class in the country, so I'm anticipating the newbies will really start to click and have a stronger finish that will propel us to a super.
4. Thanks for the bracket viewing, but you might as well throw darts at a board to pick the preseason rankings.
5. LSU will not have ULL, Tulane, UNO and Southern in their regional. LSU will most likely be anywhere from a three seed to a one seed. The 4 seed will most likely be an easy out, so that just leaves two other teams that can fight back. So a key win here and there in the regional, and suddenly you're in the super.

However as I have said before, if none of our pitchers distance themselves and become a go-to guy, then we are going to be in for a long season. However, we've got a billion pitchers on staff. Mainieri almost said we might have too much pitching on our staff. Just by sheer volume, I'm anticipating at least one of those guys will step-up by the end of the year and lead this team to a super. And if they don't? I'm going to start really worrying about Manieri as our coach. We live or die this year by the ability to find and develop pitchers in my opinion.

LSU is missing a bullpen 3 games into the season. They may have a closer but that is it.

Ryan Byrd is marginal at best for a Starter.

Pitching will be similar to last year unless major changes happen which is bad. Only Bradford will be consistent. 3rd or 4th in the west and a 3 seed in the Lafayette Regional.

I hope we can hit.

ULL, UNO and Tulane may all be better than LSU this year.

Looks like we all underestimated LSU this year. This team could easily end up in Omaha contending for a national title.

Team record (and thats saying something considering LSU baseball history) 20 game win streak. Undefeated sweep of the SEC Tournament. Top ten ranking that should go up. 11th ranked in RPI that should go up. Easily hosting a regional as a 1 seed and, if we advance, <i>very</i> likely to host a super regional as one of the top 8 national seeds. All done by a team with a lot of young players that will only get better. LSU baseball is back baby!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom