LSU Biggest Star? (1 Viewer)

Treybad

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Just curious if Burrow is now the biggest star amongst alumnis now :) I mean Shaq is tough to top :)

For accomplishments at LSU, Burrow far out performed Shaq. For post LSU performance, we'll have to wait to see how Burrow does in the NFL.

Burrow is currently not in Shaq's stratosphere.....even if he becomes a great NFL QB, NBA superstars are world wide celebrities in a. way that NFL players are not....especially one the level of Shaq

Yea will be tough to top Shaq, he is just a big kid at heart on and off the court.... which really makes him so likable... Guess Burrow would have to top Brady and Brees accomplishments to get on the same level as Shaq

The Burreaux legacy is still being written.
But he will have a very tough time being the best LSU sports alum ever.

Of course it wouldn't hurt if he won a couple of SuperBowls for the Saints. :grin:

Pete Maravich...LSU named an "assembly center" after him and all.

That's two different things though. LSU could deify someone as a god if they wanted to but that doesn't have any bearing over how big of a star that person is nationally or globally. Outside of NBA fans over the age of 50 and NBA fans that are just well-versed regardless of their age, barely anyone else knows who Pete is. I'm not happy about that and I think his legacy gets unfairly lost to time just cuz he didn't win any titles and also cuz white guys generally don't get taken seriously in the NBA unless they're Larry Bird or Dirk Nowitzki. Hell, John Stockton retired 17 years ago as the all-time assists and steals leader and still has more than 20% more assists than even the second place person on the career total list and more than 30% more steals than the second place person yet a lot of people hesitate to include him in the all-time greats. Also, Pete's worst season's scoring average in college is still 2.1 ppg better than any other NCAA Division I player's best season.

Last edited:
Also, Pete's worst season's scoring average in college is still 2.1 ppg better than any other NCAA Divsion I player's best season.
And just imagine what Maravich's average would have been if he had a three point line to shoot from in his day!

Shaq is worldwide. Burrow is barely Nationwide.

True dat. Shaq was a big star when he left LSU, but his star got bigger and brighter during and after his NBA Hall of Fame career. And Shaq is a great ambassador for LSU. He still visits campus and is involved.

That's two different things though. LSU could deify someone as a god if they wanted to but that doesn't have any bearing over how big of a star that person is nationally or globally. Outside of NBA fans over the age of 50 and NBA fans that are just well-versed regardless of their age, barely anyone else knows who Pete is. I'm not happy about that and I think his legacy gets unfairly lost to time just cuz he didn't win any titles and also cuz white guys generally don't get taken seriously in the NBA unless they're Larry Bird or Dirk Nowitzki. Hell, John Stockton retired 17 years ago as the all-time assists and steals leader and still has more than 20% more assists than even the second place person on the career total list and more than 30% more steals than the second place person yet a lot of people hesitate to include him in the all-time greats. Also, Pete's worst season's scoring average in college is still 2.1 ppg better than any other NCAA Divsion I player's best season.

And this (as well as other reasons) is why I brought him into the discussion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom