LSU Coaching Search Thread (1 Viewer)

It's perfectly fine to want Herman over Fisher. I get that.

I don't get your comment about Fisher being on the same level as Orgeron. There are no facts to back up an opinion that off-base.

Sorry, that's my fault for not being more clear... What I meant was, in this case, at this time, for *this* job-- my preference for Orgeron would be similar to my preference for Fisher... Obviously Fisher has a much better resume-- but didn't he just get thumped, giving up 63 pts to Louisville?? And as much as he has ties to La., there is NO ONE more Louisiana than Coach O... And Coach O has few peers with regards to recruiting... If we were talking about filling the job at, say Kansas St or something, then it's Fisher hands down... But for the LSU job, I think we'd be in equally capable hands with either.

I really don't want a read option guy. Bama dominates running a pro style offense. Ours justs needs to be opened up and get more creative. That's my only problem with Herman and his lack of a track record. I still remember Curly Hallman hire from a small school.

First I'd like to thank MLU for putting this thread together and officially getting this discussion underway.

This subject will no doubt be very entertaining with each passing week as speculations will abound all while Coach Orgeron will be trying to make his case by proving it on the field. If there is a true secret front runner with the LSU board (besides Coach O), then it will be very interesting to see what kind of interim record it would take to move Ed to the top of the list (or if it is even possible for him to do this).

Either way, knowing that the college football media will be all over this story like flies on a rib roast for the rest of this season and beyond will make for some interesting opinions and wishes among the forum faithful, especially for those who live, breathe, and bleed purple & gold.

For Coach Orgeron, it all starts for real as he marches his team down the hill on Saturday afternoon. It'll be interesting what kind of reception he gets from the eager hopefuls along the route.

Sorry, that's my fault for not being more clear... What I meant was, in this case, at this time, for *this* job-- my preference for Orgeron would be similar to my preference for Fisher... Obviously Fisher has a much better resume-- but didn't he just get thumped, giving up 63 pts to Louisville?? And as much as he has ties to La., there is NO ONE more Louisiana than Coach O... And Coach O has few peers with regards to recruiting... If we were talking about filling the job at, say Kansas St or something, then it's Fisher hands down... But for the LSU job, I think we'd be in equally capable hands with either.
How many NCs does Orgeron have? You want to compare Orgeron's W/L record to Jimbo's and then maybe get back to me?

I like Herman. I like that his tOSU offense ran right through Bama's defense for a NC. I like that he beat OU a few weeks ago. I don't like that he's only been a HC in the AAC for 2 years now. That's not even a Power 5 school. Another thing is his age. He's still a pretty young guy. LSU is not the place for a young guy who can't stand his ground. The "Powers That Be" have a very loud voice and that's something Herman has never had to deal with before. Also, does he have NFL aspirations? Are we going to be searching for a HC again in 3 years? Can he stand up to that? I don't have any such concerns about Jimbo.

I'm not concerned about Jimbo getting 63 points dropped on him. That happens when you turn the ball over against a ruthless HC like Petrino. UL had a great game from Jackson and special teams.

I really don't want a read option guy. Bama dominates running a pro style offense. Ours justds to be open up and get more creative. That's my only problem with Herman and his lack of a track record. I still remember Curly Hallman hire from a small school.

I wouldn't exactly call UH a small school. And I don't mind a read option if you hqve the parts to pull it off. And a strong defense, when we know LSU is more than capable of. The question is do we have a qb who can be coached up and run it well?

The only thing I might be concerned with is whether Herman has the patience to deal with the inevitable politics coaches in the sec have to face. There's no doubt UH has that issue also, so I don't necessarily think the transition is as great as you're saying.

That said, I'm not even sure he's wanting to go to LSU. Would love to have him, but a lot has to happen to get there.

Any coach who can adapt the LSU offense inherited from Les into a juggernaut of awesomeness. I believe that Herman is the guy who can turn LSU's vanilla offense into something that keeps opposing defenses guessing. Unfortunately the last couple of years have been to predictable leaving the defense in tough situations. If Saban was able to understand that change is inevitable I cannot for the life of me understand how Les couldn't.

Any coach who can adapt the LSU offense inherited from Les into a juggernaut of awesomeness. I believe that Herman is the guy who can turn LSU's vanilla offense into something that keeps opposing defenses guessing. Unfortunately the last couple of years have been to predictable leaving the defense in tough situations. If Saban was able to understand that change is inevitable I cannot for the life of me understand how Les couldn't.
Saban didn't switch from a pro style offense to a spread. He simply brought in a new coordinator that opened up the pro style offense and got more creative, which is what Miles should have done. Most good defensive players do not want to play at school that runs a spread because they are on the field too much. That's why LSU and Alabama get the cream of the crop when it comes to defensive players.

I think LSU wants Fisher or Herman and very much hope they do not have to go to plan B. Privately me bet is they don't want a USC situation where Orgeron did so well as an interim coach that he was in the mix. LSU really doesn't want a controversy.

I think this year recruiting might take a hit with so many recruiters on this staff that would not be retained.

Fisher is the safer bet. The book on Herman has few chapters. That being said, Herman would be my home run hire.

If not Fisher or Herman, my next choice would be Patterson if he could be pried out of TCU. His teams have beaten the crap out of some big schools, and he has done it year in and year out. Herman and Patterson have proved they can do a lot worth a little. At LSU they would get a chance to do a lot with a lot.

Saban didn't switch from a pro style offense to a spread. He simply brought in a new coordinator that opened up the pro style offense and got more creative, which is what Miles should have done. Most good defensive players do not want to play at school that runs a spread because they are on the field too much. That's why LSU and Alabama get the cream of the crop when it comes to defensive players.

I agree it doesn't have to be a total shift in scheme but open it up a bit and allow your superstar players to maximize their potential.

Skip bertman did a good interview where he used the term "fan fatigue" to describe what happened here and I think it was spot on. Georgia is another example with mark richt.

It just might be the nature of the beast now.
The internet speeds up the shelf life of a coach so results need to be met quickly or bye bye. The collective desires of a fanbase become evident real quickly these days.

Bertman went on to discuss his fear for the next guy in meeting the fans desires. We don't want a situation like tennessee where they went through coach after coach.

So lets make a collective agreement to be patient with the next guy.

Sheaaaa right

Privately me bet is they don't want a USC situation where Orgeron did so well as an interim coach that he was in the mix. LSU really doesn't want a controversy.

I would be willing to bet good money that a controversy is EXACTLY what they are going to have at the end of this season.. And unlike the last few years, where I think a lot of us fans, even though we are nobodies in the grand scheme, I think a hell of a lot of us knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that Les had to go-- I don't think any of us know exactly what the right move would be if Orgeron wins out and someone like Herman also wants the job... You would have a situation where the team were 10-2, made it to a pretty good bowl game and obviously would have made a dramatic turnaround... How do you tell the guy responsible for that to take a hike?? I just don't know what we'd do, but I'm pretty sure that LSU would find a way to mess it up.... Sorry for the cynicism, but I'm not sure what else to think about an institution that kept a guy like Les Miles around for 3 or 4 years after it was obvious he didn't have what it took anymore.

Skip bertman did a good interview where he used the term "fan fatigue" to describe what happened here and I think it was spot on. Georgia is another example with mark richt.

It just might be the nature of the beast now.
The internet speeds up the shelf life of a coach so results need to be met quickly or bye bye. The collective desires of a fanbase become evident real quickly these days.

Bertman went on to discuss his fear for the next guy in meeting the fans desires. We don't want a situation like tennessee where they went through coach after coach.

So lets make a collective agreement to be patient with the next guy.

Sheaaaa right

Parts of that interview can be found here

Les Miles turned down Michigan Wolverines job in 2011, says former LSU Tigers AD Skip Bertman

I will say two things about this article:
1)Hoke was our Miles. We couldn't get rid of him soon enough. Fans wanted him gone, but Harbaugh wasn't ready to come home, and we wanted to give the Michigan man another year.

2) Les, thanks for turning down Ann Arbor. I am sure you would still be coaching Michigan had you made the move, but we wouldn't have Harbaugh.

Parts of that interview can be found here

Les Miles turned down Michigan Wolverines job in 2011, says former LSU Tigers AD Skip Bertman

I will say two things about this article:
1)Hoke was our Miles. We couldn't get rid of him soon enough. Fans wanted him gone, but Harbaugh wasn't ready to come home, and we wanted to give the Michigan man another year.

2) Les, thanks for turning down Ann Arbor. I am sure you would still be coaching Michigan had you made the move, but we wouldn't have Harbaugh.

And while we're extrapolatin, if saban hadn't left for miami, the saints wouldn't have won the superbowl...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom