LSU Coaching Search Thread (2 Viewers)

My hope would be that LSU could land either Fisher or Herman. Those are the only two that I feel would be a real coup for the Tigers. There are others that are good but all come with pretty major question marks.

There are a couple of important questions yet to play out...

The most important one is, which other programs may open up by the end of this year?

A quick look at some 'best coaching job' lists has LSU in the top ten of every one. Unfortunately, there are two programs that are always considered better than LSU (as a coaching job/landing spot) and both of them may be open after this season: USC and Texas. If both of those are open, LSU will be hard pressed to get the top coaching talent.

The second is: What will Fisher and Herman want to do? Honestly I'd be very surprised if Fisher left Fla St (he's in a great situation and makes lots of money). So Herman seems to be the only possibility. And I do believe that Herman will leave Houston at the end of this season. He won't stay there forever and he may never have a better chance to land a truly prestigious job. But, if USC or Texas are in play, I really doubt LSU has much chance of getting him. LSU might beat out USC because Herman might want to stay in the area. But if Texas is in play, I see little chance of getting him.

That kind of leaves Orgeron as a pretty viable option IF he has the same results as interim coach of the Tigers as he did at USC. He is a great recruiter and may be able to demonstrate this year that he has learned to overcome the errors he made that led to such a dismal situation when he was head coach at Ole Miss. Still, that Ole Miss tenure was a HUGE black eye in my book.

. LSU might beat out USC because Herman might want to stay in the area. But if Texas is in play, I see little chance of getting him.

Tom Herman grew up in Southern California as a USC Trojan fan, and he played college football at another school in S. Calif... USC will have a huge edge in getting Herman if their HC job comes open.

^^^ That is seriously funny. Best thing I've read in weeks.

LBHDiCF.jpg

Hopefully Stanford getting destroyed on National TV shuts the door on the Shaw talk. I didn't want him before and now I REALLY don't want that dude at LSU. That offense was a snoozefest, it would essentially be Les 2.0 but with better clock management. We need an innovative OC at the very least. Wish we could get Applewhite at OC with whoever ends up at HC.

We tend to overcorrect it seems. Saban was a dick, so "No" to Petrino and "Yes" to Les. Les is an antiquated offensive mind, so this will be the motivating factor for Alleva.

I still have zero confidence that Alleva will pull this off...

Wow.

The confidence in Alleva is very low. I've talked to a few folks who pay way more attention to this stuff than I do and they have the same opinion... Low.
Cutcliff, who he hired at Duke, doesn't even like him.

I like the comment about Emmert in "Setting the market". That's the type of mentality I hope Alleva has. LSU should not move backwards to the flock but needs to exert itself as a destination for the best.

This is such a unique situation with a local boy, with a deep visceral cajun accent, taking over after Miles as the "Interim" head coach. Alleva can blow it in so many ways or he can knock it out of the park.
Pay attention to how the media plays into all of this. Local radio folks seem to really like yaw yaw.

If Orgeron can keep the team playing like they did tonight, then the job is his. I think he can afford to lose to Alabama and possibly even Ole Miss, as long as we play them close, but no other losses. If we manage to win either of those, then I think he locks the job down, especially if our offense keeps playing well.

I liked what I saw of our passing game today, and the announcers didn't say anything about how that probably helped open up our running game. I think that our lack of a passing game has been our problem all along, because we have insanely good RBs that should be able to do this routinely, but there has to be a passing threat to respect.

My ranking of potential coaches who's names I've heard bandied about, in order:

1) Tom Herman

2) Ed Orgeron (unless Coach O wins every remaining game on the schedule, that would move him to #1)

3). Jimbo Fisher

4). Pretty much everyone else

DO NOT WANT:

Briles
Petrino
Shaw
Kiffin (UNLESS Coach O becomes permanent HC, in which case he most likely will bring in Kiffin as OC, I'd be fine with that but will not accept Kiffin as HC)

My ranking of potential coaches who's names I've heard bandied about, in order:

1) Tom Herman

2) Ed Orgeron (unless Coach O wins every remaining game on the schedule, that would move him to #1)

3). Jimbo Fisher

4). Pretty much everyone else

DO NOT WANT:

Briles
Petrino
Shaw
Kiffin (UNLESS Coach O becomes permanent HC, in which case he most likely will bring in Kiffin as OC, I'd be fine with that but will not accept Kiffin as HC)

Would you approve of Coach O as HC with Steve Sarkasian as the OC? They worked together at USC, and Sark is back in CFB with Bama.

DO NOT WANT:

Briles
I never miss watching the tigers play on saturdays, but if we were to bring in Briles I would not watch until he was gone. I feel that strongly about his prior conduct. He would probably win a whole bunch of games, but I just couldn't support a program with him at the helm.

Would you approve of Coach O as HC with Steve Sarkasian as the OC? They worked together at USC, and Sark is back in CFB with Bama.

Possibly.. While I despise Kiffin overall, I know that he has a great offensive mind.. I don't know as much about Sarkisian's ability, although I'm familiar with his well-documented off-field issues.

I never miss watching the tigers play on saturdays, but if we were to bring in Briles I would not watch until he was gone. I feel that strongly about his prior conduct. He would probably win a whole bunch of games, but I just couldn't support a program with him at the helm.

I feel as strongly about Kiffin as you do about Briles.. If Kiffin were HC, I don't think I could enjoy LSU football, or support it at all.. It's a little different if he were OC, to me that's kind of just a cog in the wheel, as opposed to a figurehead and brand that a HC is.

As for Briles, I haven't read up as much on his situation as others have, so I only have a rudimentary understanding of what went on... Kind of off the subject, but a discussion I was having at a bar tonight while watching the LSU game; I posed this question to a couple friends of mine: "Who is/was a worse human being-- Art Briles or Joe Paterno?"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom