LSU Coordinator search (1 Viewer)

With Brady possibly becoming Atlanta's new HC do we loose LSU's OC and Passing GC?

With Brady possibly becoming Atlanta's new HC do we loose LSU's OC and Passing GC?

No I don't believe so. Being an OC at a major D1 program will get their name out there faster than being an assistant to an NFL coach. Plus Brady is the one who recommended them for the job so I doubt he will then turn around and convince them to leave. They can make a name for themselves at LSU and then parlay into an OC gig in the NFL like Brady or some other higher position. That's just mho though.

The real question is who are we getting for D coordinator?? It seems like it might be an NFL coach still in the playoffs but that is just speculation on my part.

No I don't believe so. Being an OC at a major D1 program will get their name out there faster than being an assistant to an NFL coach. Plus Brady is the one who recommended them for the job so I doubt he will then turn around and convince them to leave. They can make a name for themselves at LSU and then parlay into an OC gig in the NFL like Brady or some other higher position. That's just mho though.

The real question is who are we getting for D coordinator?? It seems like it might be an NFL coach still in the playoffs but that is just speculation on my part.
A lot of people think it's Ryan Nielsen. I'm not too keen on that idea. LSU already has an OC that;s never called a game before. I would not want to start 2021 after this past season with a DC that's never called a game either. I was really surprised that Arnett wasn't offered, but I certainly understand the $2M buyout with Miss State is a significant obstacle.

Sark is supposedly after Pete Golden, so that would open up a spot for maybe Muschamp to land in Tuscaloosa. Barry Odom seems to be entrenched at Arkansas. I would make a serious run at him if I were O. Kevin Steele is headed to Tennessee (thank goodness). Jim Leonhard is NOT leaving Wisconsin for LSU. There doesn't seem to be much interest in David Reeves from UAB.

Bryan Brown at Louisville could be an interesting choice. He's did very well at Appalachian State and made big improvements in one year at Louisville. He's a former Ole Miss CB for 2 years under Orgeron. Glenn Schumann is a hot name starting to circulate, too. He was the first person that Kirby hired at UGA and is their current co-DC. Both of these guys fit the young, energetic mold that people want to fill these spots. Brown also coaches DBs. Schumann also coaches LBers.

A lot of people think it's Ryan Nielsen. I'm not too keen on that idea. LSU already has an OC that;s never called a game before. I would not want to start 2021 after this past season with a DC that's never called a game either. I was really surprised that Arnett wasn't offered, but I certainly understand the $2M buyout with Miss State is a significant obstacle.

Sark is supposedly after Pete Golden, so that would open up a spot for maybe Muschamp to land in Tuscaloosa. Barry Odom seems to be entrenched at Arkansas. I would make a serious run at him if I were O. Kevin Steele is headed to Tennessee (thank goodness). Jim Leonhard is NOT leaving Wisconsin for LSU. There doesn't seem to be much interest in David Reeves from UAB.

Bryan Brown at Louisville could be an interesting choice. He's did very well at Appalachian State and made big improvements in one year at Louisville. He's a former Ole Miss CB for 2 years under Orgeron. Glenn Schumann is a hot name starting to circulate, too. He was the first person that Kirby hired at UGA and is their current co-DC. Both of these guys fit the young, energetic mold that people want to fill these spots. Brown also coaches DBs. Schumann also coaches LBers.

Yeah I am hearing/seeing a lot of talk about Ryan Nielsen, see here https://deathvalleyvoice.com/2021/01/11/lsu-football-defensive-coordinator-option-nfl-tigers/

The more I read the more I like, TBH. He coached with O when he first started out and has been to several schools, achieving success at most as a D-line coach.
He has been a Co-Defensive coordinator for two years at Northern Illinois so he does have some experience.
This is from his Saints bio at https://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/coaches-roster/ryan-nielsen

Nielsen coached at Northern Illinois from 2011-12, including a 2012 season where he was the co-defensive coordinator/defensive line/recruiting coordinator and helped the Huskies to the 2012 GoDaddy.com Bowl. Two defensive lineman were first-team All-MAC selections in 2012, ...

So I know we probably wanted someone with a little more 'skins on the wall' so to speak but sometimes you gotta give someone a shot. Joe Brady had never called plays before but that worked out. Not saying he will be the next Joe Brady but I like the idea of giving a younger coach who has something to prove and wants to make a name for himself. I don't want another re-tread hire like Pelini or Muschamp or whoever. Let's see what he's got!

I understand about Nielsen but ya gotta start somewhere. I think he would be a great hire as you hear nothing but greats things from Saints coaches & players. Of course that goes without saying. Coach O is a defensive guy who could help out in that aspect. Also recruits like the NFL experience generally. I hate to see the Saints lose him but I don't mind people going after better opportunities.

I understand about Nielsen but ya gotta start somewhere. I think he would be a great hire as you hear nothing but greats things from Saints coaches & players. Of course that goes without saying. Coach O is a defensive guy who could help out in that aspect. Also recruits like the NFL experience generally. I hate to see the Saints lose him but I don't mind people going after better opportunities.
Nelson was a ridiculous recruited at Ole Miss and NC State. Between him and O, the DL recruiting would be wild.

Looks like it's Nielsen.

NFL Network’s Jane Slater reports that New Orleans Saints defensive line coach Ryan Nielsen is finalizing a deal with the LSU Tigers to become their next defensive coordinator, with Nielsen meeting with Saints head coach Sean Payton on Monday to break the news. ESPN’s Mike Triplett confirmed the report.

Just need the Saints lawyers to sign off on whatever is holding sheet up...

Why would an NFL coach’s contract have language forbidding him from going to the college ranks?

Why would an NFL coach’s contract have language forbidding him from going to the college ranks?

And why would Loomus(sic) hold this up? If it was Ohio St instead of LSU, Mickey would be helping Nielsen pack up boxes, and hauling them out to his truck to be moved. #saintshatelsusarcasm

Yeah, Triplett is reporting he got a promotion to stay with the Saints: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-lsu-tigers-defensive-coordinator-sources-say.

Dude, this is crazy! I can not remember this every really happening. Like I thought the deal was done and the Saints were just trying to squeeze some more dollars out of LSU, but they just didn't want to let him go apparently. Really strange, I mean at some point the guy is going to get another offer, how much they gonna offer then to keep him?? Sounds like they threw a bunch of money at Nielson to keep him from leaving. So the question is did they not want Nielson to leave at all or did they just not want him to go to LSU??

It would seem to be the former. Why would the Saints hold some kind of grudge against LSU?? I don't buy it. I think they just don't want to let too many of their assistants go, as Dan Cambell is gone, and I have heard maybe Aaron Glenn as well. Dennis Allen might get some looks as well, so the Saints could possibly be looking at replacing the entire defensive staff, so I could see why they want to retain him.

where does LSU go from here?? We can't find a date to the prom??? We keep getting played like a fiddle

It makes me wonder if CSP envisions him as the DC at some point. He obviously thinks quite highly of him.

There's no grudge against LSU, although Larry Holder thinks that LSU didn't ask the Saints for permission to talk with Nielsen and that may have irked Payton or Loomis. I don't know how much of that I believe since LSU has already gone through this process w/ Brady. It could be that with the loss of Aaron Glenn, loss of Mike Nolan last year and possible loss of Dennis Allen, they want to try and hang on to Nielsen for the purposes of continuity? That's a significant brain drain at once.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom