LSU defense next year... (1 Viewer)

jimmac

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
It looks like LSU will be getting back Tyson Jackson and Kirston Pittman on the defensive line and Darry Beckwith at linebacker. This is huge considering the defense will be breaking in some newcomers at corner, a strong pass rush should help those guys. LSU plays 10 different guys across their defensive front, and they will return 9 of them only losing Dorsey.

Up the middle they should be very good with the front four, Beckwith in the middle and Taylor and either Chad Jones, Harry Coleman(who had a huge game coming in for Steltz the other night), and Danny McCray. I look for Patrick Johnson to make some noise in the spring at corner and the other one could go to Eugene, Chris Hawkins and Phelon Jones. Defense should be much better than people think next year.

Yeah, I think the D is gonna be better than a lot of people were predicting right after we won the ship. And the offense should be lights out, as long as Perriloux behaves himself. I can't wait for the Georgia game next year.

I am waiting to see who the DC is, but the talent dropoff will be practically nil with Ricky Jean-Francois filling in for Dorsey...

My guess is it will be Mallory either as DC or co-DC. Alot of talk about Mallory and Peveto sharing duties. Not sure what I think about that though.

As for the D, it could actually be better than this years.
If C.Alexander comes back healthy, you'll have CA, Ricky Jean, Favorite, Woods, and Nevis. That's a darn good rotation. T. Jackson, T.Johnson, Alem, and Pittman at DE. Another really solid rotation, not to mention some RS Freshman that could make an impact.
Linebacker will be a transition. But, both Sheppard and Riley played a good bit this year and looked good when they did. Beckwith being back will be huge. If he can stay healthy, he has All-American ability.
The big question is the secondary. But, there is a ton of talent waiting for their turn.

The biggest question may just be whether anything changes as far as philosophy.

On Offense, again there is a ton of talent. Next year's team should be as good as this years team.

I have heard the same as Rouster, but that was quite a few days ago. Why has it not been publicized yet? Everyday that passes makes this disaster of a decision less and less likely, IMO...

Drake Nevis is going to be fun to watch as he gets older. I think he is my new favorite on D. Charles Alexander should he remain healthy is going to be $ in the bank.

I have heard the same as Rouster, but that was quite a few days ago. Why has it not been publicized yet? Everyday that passes makes this disaster of a decision less and less likely, IMO...

Honest question, who do you think LSU should choose for their defensive coordinator out of all the realistic possibilities?

Honest question, who do you think LSU should choose for their defensive coordinator out of all the realistic possibilities?
Jon Tenuta. GaTech had a bad game in Boise, but look at surrounding circumstances: Interim Head Coach, new Head Coach looming over them during practices, the bowl game, etc. I don't think that any team that lost their head coach won their bowl game this season. Obviously it has some effect.

Tenuta's body of work at GaTech over the last few years speaks for itself. He's fielded some pretty good defenses with the talent that UGA, Clemson and UF don't sign...

After that, I don't know. Miles missed out on getting Reggie Herring (Arkansas to TxA&M). There really doesn't appear to be much out there unless Miles reaches into the pros now that the NFL season is pretty much over.

What ever happened with Tenuta? A lot of Auburn fans were hoping Tuberville would hire him, but felt LSU had already gotten to him.

Supposedly he's not one that's know to play well with others in coaching circles. I never felt that would be much of an issue at LSU since Miles pretty much ignores that side of the field and gives the DC a wide berth and free reign. Maybe there's more to it, though.

MLU, I'm with you. Tenuta would have been my first preference. Not sure after that.

As for the Co-DC thing, I don't care for it. The only thing I can figure is that Pevato is supposed to be a somewhat "up and comer". Mallory has been with Les a while. So I really think Mallory will be the DC and Pevato will assist, but get the label to keep him around for a little longer. But, that's simply a guess.

If they can take Pelini's scheme and tweak it, then this D can be really good. Pelini is good at times, when he decides to attack. But, he also had a problem of wanting to be to soft at times. He likes his D to create turnovers, but often times that was while sitting back and waiting for other teams to make mistakes. It cost us against Ky and Ark. While I think Pelini was a solid DC, I just don't think he was a great one.

Jon Tenuta. GaTech had a bad game in Boise, but look at surrounding circumstances: Interim Head Coach, new Head Coach looming over them during practices, the bowl game, etc. I don't think that any team that lost their head coach won their bowl game this season. Obviously it has some effect.

Tenuta's body of work at GaTech over the last few years speaks for itself. He's fielded some pretty good defenses with the talent that UGA, Clemson and UF don't sign...

Tenuta would be a great hire for LSU, so I hope they go in another direction. Tech's D has kept them in games against UGA the past few years, even with Reggie Ball doing more bad than good for Jackets in most of those games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom