LSU football legend Billy Cannon rushed to hospital after suffering possible stroke (1 Viewer)

Billy Cannon taken to hospital after suffering stroke | wwltv.com New Orleans

Best of luck Billy!

I did not know he was a dentist at Angola.

Yeah, a buddy of mine who graduated LSU Dental 2011 told me that every year either he comes down to the Dental School, or the Dental School comes to him in Angola, and they get a chance to talk business, and then Cannon tries to sell them on coming to work for the state and/or the prison system. Almost Amway like. My buddy laughed it off when Cannon said it wasn't so bad in Angola as a dentist, because..well he was in prison for check fraud.

Yeah, a buddy of mine who graduated LSU Dental 2011 told me that every year either he comes down to the Dental School, or the Dental School comes to him in Angola, and they get a chance to talk business, and then Cannon tries to sell them on coming to work for the state and/or the prison system. Almost Amway like. My buddy laughed it off when Cannon said it wasn't so bad in Angola as a dentist, because..well he was in prison for check fraud.

Can't see Angola as a place I would care to work in any capacity. Although I watched a few episodes about Angola on some channel and a lot of the COs are generational. Grew up on the grounds and went to work there when they were old enough so I can see the appeal for some. Just not my deal.

Can't see Angola as a place I would care to work in any capacity. Although I watched a few episodes about Angola on some channel and a lot of the COs are generational. Grew up on the grounds and went to work there when they were old enough so I can see the appeal for some. Just not my deal.

Folks work in prisons for differnet reasons. For some it is just a matter of finding work. Prisons often locate in rural areas and become big employers in the area for those who need work.

Others work at prisons more as part of a ministry and a desire to add humanity to a very difficult situation.

Prisoners come in all shapes and sizes. You have some that can be rehabilitated and are genuinely remorseful for their crimes. Whether they can be rehabbed back into society depends a lot on those at the prisons who can make a difference in their lives.

My sense with Cannon has always been that dentistry at Angola for him was part of a ministry to make prison a more humane experience. I think we are very fortunate that some people are drawn to service type work that no one else wants to do.

My aunt was a daughter of charity. I learned during her eulogy that she had a very important job as a patient advocate at a big hospital in Chicago. Evidently she at some point went to her superior and said that the real need in Chicago was medical help for the elderly in the projects and that she wanted to do that. She would walk by herself to the projects every day for a number of years working her ministry and earned some "protected" status in that community where she was safe somehow.

That would not be my deal for sure. I do not have the patience or selflessness for that sort of work. I am grateful some do and that some do similar work in prisons. Prisons should not be country clubs for sure, but they need to be humane and I could not imagine life in a cell with a abcessed tooth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom