LSU Men's bball coaching search (1 Viewer)

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just in case this Tweet isn't accurate, here's a thread for the new coaching search; though it may be over. Any thoughts on this guy? I have to do some digging as I've never heard of him. Going small school is telling me the program will need rebuilding following this NCAA situation and the likely portal defections and recruit decommits.

Hopefully his teams won't choke as hard in big moments like Will Wade's team from this year.

Paywalled since its from The Athletic, but a snippet from Brody Miller:
Why did LSU hire McMahon?
Brody Miller, LSU beat writer: McMahon fits exactly what LSU needs in these trying times. He's a program builder who has proven at Murray State he knows how to identify and develop talent, most famously with No. 2 overall NBA draft pick Ja Morant, who was an unranked prospect.

But more importantly, he has continued that development winning 20 or more games in two of the three seasons without Morant and four of the last five seasons overall. That shows he's not just a flash in the pan. LSU doesn't need a quick fix. It needs somebody who thinks long-term like McMahon.

Expectations for him in Baton Rouge
Miller: This hire is likely more about where McMahon can have LSU in 2025 than it is about what he can do right away. LSU is facing potentially harsh NCAA penalties soon, with many expecting a two- or three-year postseason ban and severe scholarship reductions.

Murray State is definitely a different culture than LSU. They recruit little known kids for the most part. There are no clubs in the town, so it's basically all basketball, all the time. Outside of an unranked Ja Morant, his teams have won on a "team" approach rather than relying on the uber-talented kids to make plays. This will be quite the transition for a guy who was the Big Man in a town of 19k citizens most passionate about MBB to BR.

I'd be happy with any coach who can find some kids who make an occasional shot from the perimeter...... or from the free throw line for that matter.
McMahon is worth a shot. Hopefully it won't take too many years for the men's program to look legitimate in our conference. But that would be hard to imagine.

1st question of his LSU interview: What is your experience with teams actively under investigation during your tenure?

2nd question: Hypothetically, what is your coaching strategy for a team crippled by sanctions?

1st question of his LSU interview: What is your experience with teams actively under investigation during your tenure?

2nd question: Hypothetically, what is your coaching strategy for a team crippled by sanctions?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom