LSU Pro Day 3-31-2021 (1 Viewer)

Im a big time LSU fan until last year there hadnt been many LSU football players who lived up to thier billing. In the last 10 years of the draft Burrow, Jefferson, CEH,Odell and Landry are the only players i can think of that lived up to thier potential.

But even then those players except Landry in 14 were gone before the Saints picked. In that draft the Saints picked Cook. Then last year in the case of CEH, Saints already had Kamara and Murray
Kwon Alexander, Devin White, Kevin Minter, CEH, Fournette, Duke Riley - just a few more starters LSU has put out in addition to the others mentioned before... c'mon man

Of all of the “needs” the Saints are listed as having, WR is the one that I could see them not really addressing at all this offseason.

Michael Thomas
Trequan Smith
Marquez Callaway
Deonte Harris
Lil’Jordan Humphrey
Ty Montgomery
Juwan Johnson
Jake Lampman

...are all currently on the roster, and Bennie Fowler could easily be brought back (for peanuts). ...and there’s still Austin Carr too 😑

*Taysom Hill can also be “in the mix” if he’s not the winner of the QB job.
I agree with this. It would not shock me to find out the front office doesn't consider it a position of need. If they draft WR, it think it will be because it was a player they didn't feel like they could pass up.

Of all of the “needs” the Saints are listed as having, WR is the one that I could see them not really addressing at all this offseason.

Michael Thomas
Trequan Smith
Marquez Callaway
Deonte Harris
Lil’Jordan Humphrey
Ty Montgomery
Juwan Johnson
Jake Lampman

...are all currently on the roster, and Bennie Fowler could easily be brought back (for peanuts). ...and there’s still Austin Carr too 😑

I get your point... And every year since we lost our Lance Moore/Brandon Cooks/Willie Sneed type #2 WR.... We post this list and make the case that we don't need a Stud #2 WR this year... And we have been sorry for not having one at the end of every year since - when the playoffs get here and a team decides to take away MT13.

I loved the pickup of Sanders last year, and thought... "finally"! Then MT13 got hurt, Sander didn't catch on fast because of Covid, and now he's gone...

Why?

What do the Saints gain by adding value to a draft prospect just because they played at LSU?

History has shown that a lot of LSU players translate well in the league. Not only are most good players, some have become elite.

Hey, I'm a fan of drafting talent regardless of school (Duckwater Tech included) but LSU continue to produce studs in the National Football league on both sides of the ball. I can see why many scratch their head when it comes to the Saints not drafting guys from LSU ... kids literally in their backyard that have legit talent.

Maybe this year will be different.

So, I'm not getting into the Saints don't draft LSU players shirtless slap boxing match. I mean, yes LSU had talent, but lots of schools do and I'm sure it's just that the board hasn't fallen right on draft day for the Saints to draft more LSU players.

Anyway, I think Racey McMath is an interesting prospect. He's a talented guy that was playing behind 3 great WRs and didn't really get a chance to play much until this year when LSU had spoty QB and O-Line play. I would think he would either be available in the later rounds or as an UDFA, but some of you draft guys would know better.

Anyway, dude is 6' 2", 215 Lbs. and ran like a 4.34. That's exactly the type of big deep speed that we need for Winston to throw to. And, maybe more importantly, dude is great on special teams so he can be a special teams ace (which we need with the loss of a few guys) while he learns the WR position. Seems like a good guy to take a later round flyer on given that he never really got to show his talents in college, but you know that at worst he is a good special teams player.

Plus, I really like his name for an NFL WR.

I get your point... And every year since we lost our Lance Moore/Brandon Cooks/Willie Sneed type #2 WR.... We post this list and make the case that we don't need a Stud #2 WR this year... And we have been sorry for not having one at the end of every year since - when the playoffs get here and a team decides to take away MT13.

I loved the pickup of Sanders last year, and thought... "finally"! Then MT13 got hurt, Sander didn't catch on fast because of Covid, and now he's gone...
Last year was like a greek tragedy. We finally got a no2 reciever and the gods inflicted MT with an injury.

Michael Thomas
Trequan Smith
Marquez Callaway
Deonte Harris
Lil’Jordan Humphrey
Ty Montgomery
Juwan Johnson
Jake Lampman

This draft is INSANELY rich with WR/TE. If we do not select at least one, then we are not doing ourselves any favors.

This draft is INSANELY rich with WR/TE. If we do not select at least one, then we are not doing ourselves any favors.
There's always great options as UDFAs. I'm not overly concerned about us adding talent at our skill positions. I want us to covet guys with rare talent and awareness of how to play the game at other spots like DL or linebacker.

There's always great options as UDFAs. I'm not overly concerned about us adding talent at our skill positions. I want us to covet guys with rare talent and awareness of how to play the game at other spots like DL or linebacker.
I wouldn’t say great options for UDFAs, decent ones, but not great. I’m with you regarding drafting LB, but I’ve almost lost all hope that our team would draft one that’s worth anything. Still a little hope left, but almost all out.

I wouldn’t say great options for UDFAs, decent ones, but not great. I’m with you regarding drafting LB, but I’ve almost lost all hope that our team would draft one that’s worth anything. Still a little hope left, but almost all out.
We'll end up seeing in the end. Someone always slides out of the draft who was mocked in like the 4th or 5th round. And I'll trust our staff intensely when it comes to those skill positions.

For some reason the Saints love guys from Ohio State and SMU. Not so much LSU and Alabama.

Currently not one player from either school. We have players from Villanova, Tennessee, Florida State, small schools, Canada but not LSU or Alabama.

I bet it’s the systems those schools run. They don’t seem to fit into the Saints scheme. They run defensive schemes that run either a 3-4 (Alabama) or small 4-3 with aspects of the 3-4 (LSU). On offense, neither is a great pro-system minus the one year with OC Brady. Alabama does often have superior offensive players but not a great system.

WR seems to be the position we like from LSU. RB is the position we like from Alabama.

Last edited:
For some reason the Saints love guys from Ohio State and SMU. Not so much LSU and Alabama.

Currently not one player from either school. We have players from Villanova, Tennessee, Florida State, small schools, Canada but not LSU or Alabama.

I bet it’s the systems those schools run. They don’t seem to fit into the Saints scheme. They run defensive schemes that run either a 3-4 (Alabama) or small 4-3 with aspects of the 3-4 (LSU). On offense, neither is a great pro-system minus the one year with OC Brady. Alabama does often have superior offensive players but not a great system.

WR seems to be the position we like from LSU. RB is the position we like from Alabama.

I think the scheme issue was certainly part of it on offense up until two years ago. Prior to that, LSU ran a stone age offense. Now LSU basically runs Payton's offensive system as adjusted by Brady and now Jake Peetz. So, that could change things a lot very soon.

On defense Aranda ran a very exotic scheme that was mostly a 3-4 which made it hard to project the DL and LBs to the Saints 4-3 scheme. Now Daronte Jones will likely run a defense very familiar to Payton since Jones studied under Mike Zimmer and Payton is friends with Zimmer. So, that could change how difficult it is to project LSU players.

But, beyond that, as hard as it is for me to say it as an LSU fan, I think some of the issues with LSU players may have been character which is clearly very important to Payton and Loomis. There were clearly some very bad things going on with the program off the field under Les Miles and I think the Saints being so close probably had some idea that these guys should have gotten in a lot more trouble than they did and were aware of some attitude issues. Hopefully that has changed, but it takes awhile to change the culture around a program.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom