LSU secondary in trouble... (1 Viewer)

someone

Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Craig Steltz, Chevis Jackson, and Jonathan Zenon are all seniors. Curtis Taylor is a junior and will likely stay...Chad Jones can replace Steltz and will be better than Laron Landry soon. However at CB, we're in trouble. Jai Eugene is the next guy on the depth chart and he's gotten attacked and beat badly when he's seen action this past year. Danny McCray is a saftey/corner and got a lot of action this year as a nickel back but he was beat a lot as well. I hope we have some young guys I don't know about that can come in help us repeat next year.
Anyone know of guys on our squad that can play? Cause I'm thinking about walking on if we Jai Eugene is our starting CB...

Harry Coleman Stepped up but I'm afraid Curtis Taylor being there still we'll be "loyal" to him and not play Chad Jones.

I'd expect a Harry Coleman-SS Curtis Taylor-FS unless we move Taylor to SS to make room for Chad to play FS.

CB will be strained.. Jai has show he hasn't improved his awareness and ball skills..

I can't wait to see Phelon Jones, Patrick Johnson, Chris Hawkins. Danny McCray better get moved to LB because he's our weak link in the secondary.

Yeah I'm expecting Taylor and Jones will play the saftey positions. If you remember, Steltz and Taylor switched off play by play between SS and FS. It was based on where the tight end lined up I believe. Therefore Taylor can play SS if he has to but I can't imagine them keeping Chad Jones off the field.

Craig Steltz, Chevis Jackson, and Jonathan Zenon are all seniors. Curtis Taylor is a junior and will likely stay...Chad Jones can replace Steltz and will be better than Laron Landry soon. However at CB, we're in trouble. Jai Eugene is the next guy on the depth chart and he's gotten attacked and beat badly when he's seen action this past year. Danny McCray is a saftey/corner and got a lot of action this year as a nickel back but he was beat a lot as well. I hope we have some young guys I don't know about that can come in help us repeat next year.
Anyone know of guys on our squad that can play? Cause I'm thinking about walking on if we Jai Eugene is our starting CB...

Well your corners are only as good as your pass rush and I think that will be the strength of the defense next year. I think the D-line has potential to be better next year. There is a chance that Jackson and Pittman will be back to go along with all the d-tackles and the return of Charles Alexander(great run stuffer). We have plenty of talented guys at corner, but I think with Patrick Johnson going through spring practice i think he will be one of the guys on opening night in September. He will be a superstar from day one. Another name to not forget about is Ron Brooks.

I forgot about Patrick Johnson... USA Today National Defensive Player of the Year in 2007. Definitely excited about him.

Well your corners are only as good as your pass rush and I think that will be the strength of the defense next year. I think the D-line has potential to be better next year. There is a chance that Jackson and Pittman will be back to go along with all the d-tackles and the return of Charles Alexander(great run stuffer). We have plenty of talented guys at corner, but I think with Patrick Johnson going through spring practice i think he will be one of the guys on opening night in September. He will be a superstar from day one. Another name to not forget about is Ron Brooks.

Exactly, I seem to remember in the beginning years of Saban not having great DB's(solid) but we had some monster D-Linemen up front that could get that pressure on the QB. That will most certainly be the key next year since we will be fairly young in the secondary..

I forgot about Patrick Johnson... USA Today National Defensive Player of the Year in 2007. Definitely excited about him.

They say Johnson is good enough to step in a play as a freshman. They also have Chris Hawkins and Phelon Jones. I think Eugene could end up being okay. He's got the talent, he just has to learn not to interfere when the ball is in the air. He always has good coverage, he just blows it in the end. Hopefully he can be taught.

I also think that whether or not Chad Jones gets the FS job, he will play nickleback in the nickle and dime. I think he has enough talent and speed to play CB especially against another team's third receiver.

But, I do think the CB position will be a weakness next year unless Eugene or Patrick Johson can step up big time.

I've been hearing Ron will be on offense. I hope it's not true but it's what i'm hearing.

I want to say LSU has two redshirt freshman who were highly touted recruits in 07, but redshirted b/c of Jackson and Zenon.

i played against a guy named john williams and this guy played everything for BB Qb Wr Cb S Rb all the skill position's he was a 4 star recruit last year had super quick feet......i think he might see some time at cb next year

Eugene is fine. He's needs reps, that's all. LSU was fine starting Corey Webster and Travis Daniels as freshmen and they were fine starting Chevis Jackson as a freshman and Jonathan Zenon coming off the bench in the nickle as a freshman. Just because the secondary will be the weak link doesn't mean that they are a weak link.

i played against a guy named john williams and this guy played everything for BB Qb Wr Cb S Rb all the skill position's he was a 4 star recruit last year had super quick feet......i think he might see some time at cb next year

John Williams, I almost forgot about him, yes he could be a sleeper, I watched him a couple times at Breaux Bridge...

i think we will be ok in the secondary once we get these guys some reps. chad jones by far is the player im really looking forward to seeing more of next season. pretty good coverage and a hard hitter.

The D-Line and Safety play will be good enough to carry the defense until the corners come around--The Offense will be excellent though and LSU's Damn Strong Football Team will be just fine next season

LSU is in trouble no matter what..they got Georgia, Florida and Auburn to face along with regular SEC play. Either way LSU shouldn't get too comfortable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom