LSU to use two qbs (2 Viewers)

Harris's attitude says Justin McMillan should be the #2 QB. He can pout all the way to an FCS school for all I care. He's more than had his chance.
Didja notice how well McMillan was handing off the ball last week? He's going to fit in just fine.

No such thing as two "starting" quarterbacks in the literal sense. Only one can "start" afterall. It matters because the starter is the guy that the follower either has to mop up after or benefit from and that dictates the style of play.

We have a situation where the coaches simply don't know which guy is ready for the biggest stage in college football. Harris, I'm certain, did very well in practice but we have all seen what happens on gameday. Etling, i heard, did well in practice but we have only seen a few quarters of game play and he is statistically not good at all but certainly came out the gate well.

So what would you do?

I would "start" the guy that finished the last game. Keep the continuity. If etling struggles, zing.... He gone.

I would put in the guy that plays the best in the game. That is not always the same as the guy that practices well. Jake delhomme was the opposite. He looked worse in practice than he did in the game. Coaches never felt comfortable putting him in because he didn't practice well. He was a "gamer". I think harris is the opoosite. Etling, I think, is more steady and predictable. His knock was that he drilled the ball when it called for a changeup. I did not see that at all last week. He appears to have corrected it.

So the coaches are scratching their heads but really, if you take the emotion out... It's simple. Play the guy that does best. Stop worrying about "feeling" and hurting guys confidence. If they aren't able to hack it at this level then they don't belong.

Didja notice how well McMillan was handing off the ball last week? He's going to fit in just fine.

I did like his stiff-arm/shove as he was going OOBs on the QB run. :9:

I think people are reading too much into these comments. I think Etling will start and if he plays well the job is his.

I agree with Bayouboy that Mile's comments are designed to keep Harris engaged. Harris showed some promise last year and Miles correctly stayed with him hoping they were growing pains in an attempt to develop Harris. Jennings was the only other option then.

Having invested that much time in Harris, LSU worked with him over the spring and started him at Wisconsin. Harris improved in practice, but you never know how that translates to games until the games.

Harris was awful against Wisconsin. The scheme and coaching might be part of that, but when you consistently airmail balls on screens and outs, its a qb issue.

Harris does have an NFL arm. Maybe he has the qb yips he can overcome, who knows? But when he showed the same yips last week Miles had to pull the plug.

We are just two games into the season and as much as fans want some clear pronouncement that one guy will be the guy, the coaches do not know that yet. They have not seen enough of Etling to run Harris off.

Miles does not want a qb controversy or a two qb system. He wants to win. I think Etling starts and so long as he plays well, stays in. The longer Etling plays well, the shorter his leash.

Etling was clearly better than Harris last week, but still was 5-12. Yes there were drops, but Harris has suffered through drops as well.

For my part, in the short time Etling has played he looked more in control and command. He can hit the screens and outs that Harris inexplicably cant. Etling is a way better athlete than Jarrett Lee and that will help him. LSU doesn't need an option qb, they do need someone who can move in the pocket and scramble for a key first down now and then.

Lets see how this next game plays out before concluding from a blurb that Miles wants to run two qbs all season. Its more likely this comment is meant to let Harris know he needs to continue to prepare and not get down on being demoted.

The kneejerk reaction by Harris with his tweet doesn't help his cause. It suggests that in addition to being inaccurate, he lacks maturity to be a leader.

What makes anyone here think a quarterback from Purdue can amount to anything? :mwink:

The only time a 2 QB system has worked has been on Steve Sarkisian coached teams, and it was only because he was so drunk he saw 2 QBs on the field.

So, when Miles came out and said that Etling would be starting today, y'all think he's still committed to this two QB nonsense? Or did he come to his senses and decide to go with Etling and just stick with him the way he did Harris against Wisconsin?

I think people are reading too much into these comments. I think Etling will start and if he plays well the job is his.

I agree with Bayouboy that Mile's comments are designed to keep Harris engaged. Harris showed some promise last year and Miles correctly stayed with him hoping they were growing pains in an attempt to develop Harris. Jennings was the only other option then.

Having invested that much time in Harris, LSU worked with him over the spring and started him at Wisconsin. Harris improved in practice, but you never know how that translates to games until the games.

Harris was awful against Wisconsin. The scheme and coaching might be part of that, but when you consistently airmail balls on screens and outs, its a qb issue.

Harris does have an NFL arm. Maybe he has the qb yips he can overcome, who knows? But when he showed the same yips last week Miles had to pull the plug.

We are just two games into the season and as much as fans want some clear pronouncement that one guy will be the guy, the coaches do not know that yet. They have not seen enough of Etling to run Harris off.

Miles does not want a qb controversy or a two qb system. He wants to win. I think Etling starts and so long as he plays well, stays in. The longer Etling plays well, the shorter his leash.

Etling was clearly better than Harris last week, but still was 5-12. Yes there were drops, but Harris has suffered through drops as well.

For my part, in the short time Etling has played he looked more in control and command. He can hit the screens and outs that Harris inexplicably cant. Etling is a way better athlete than Jarrett Lee and that will help him. LSU doesn't need an option qb, they do need someone who can move in the pocket and scramble for a key first down now and then.

Lets see how this next game plays out before concluding from a blurb that Miles wants to run two qbs all season. Its more likely this comment is meant to let Harris know he needs to continue to prepare and not get down on being demoted.

The kneejerk reaction by Harris with his tweet doesn't help his cause. It suggests that in addition to being inaccurate, he lacks maturity to be a leader.
And I think that "protectionism" is what many have issue with.

I have grown weary. At some point, benching a young man may have an opposite effect than destroying his psyche. And if not, then he isn't the QB you thought he was and you move on.

But I truly think Miles has genuine affection for every one of his young men. And while that's commendable, it can also be a hindrance.

I'm glad miles made the switch. He had to. It was time and I'm sure like many, he had seen enough.

Etling allows Cam to open the playbook. His short and intermediate passes look good enough. His command and awareness looks good. Should be a good barometer Saturday.

Not ready to say Etling is the answer, but he cannot be any worse than what Harris brought in game one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

So, when Miles came out and said that Etling would be starting today, y'all think he's still committed to this two QB nonsense? Or did he come to his senses and decide to go with Etling and just stick with him the way he did Harris against Wisconsin?

I don't believe Miles ever meant he was going to use a two QB system. His statement was just diplomatic coach speak that Harris should keep his head up and keep trying to better himself in case he has to go back in again. Saying "we'll need both" is not saying he's going to alternate. And I think after Saturday's game, everyone should realize that now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom