LSU vs Aggies (1 Viewer)

Sad to see this crap season is being extended by another game, a pointless bowl that shouldn't exist.
I disagree. A bowl game is an opportunity for the team to improve--more practice time, which is especially beneficial for the young guys. I remember Saban saying his first year at LSU that one of the keys to building a winning college football program is getting to a bowl game in order to use the extra preparation to improve players' performance.

I thought he played a nice game, but, he still holds the ball a bit too long, which puts a lot of pressure on the OL. He’s got the talent, but he’s not consistent from game to game, and his pocket awareness leaves a lot to be desired sometimes.
Since this is an obvious flaw in his game, I would think a good coaching staff could teach him to make quicker decisions and reduce the amount of sack losses from holding the football too long. Hopefully we'll see that kind of coaching in the near future.

I'd like to share a little perspective when it comes to Max.

He's 170+ yards shy of 3,000 yards after missing a game with 27TDs and 6Ints as a true Sophomore. Most of this was after losing the best receiver in the conference, throwing to mostly freshman receivers still learning how the position is played at a high level. The play-calling did not set him up for success, repeatedly seeing things like a left-handed QB roll to the right, calling slow-developing plays, running four verts with no short options when the defense is showing blitz, etc.

He was sacked 33 times and played behind the 5th worst OL in terms of QB pressure. His last play of the season was a perfect dime while he was getting drilled during a game that saw him hit nearly every play and sacked like 8 times.

I agree he holds on to the ball too long. That's one reason he takes so many hits. It's also a reason why he has so few turnovers. He also seems slow to make decisions, but that's really hard hill for me to die on after seeing from the fan's perspective the disarray of the offense.

What has impressed me is that he leads and despite being beaten up every game, he still seems to start each game with a blank slate. He doesn't seem to have let the constant pressure permanently scar him, which is often what happens when young QBs play too soon. I don't think we have another Joe Burrow, but I also don't think we have another Jarrett Lee or Jordan Jefferson.

I think that once he finds himself behind a steady OL with WRs that catch more balls than they drop and an OC that actually has an offensive philosophy, he's going to shine.

He's 170+ yards shy of 3,000 yards after missing a game with 27TDs and 6Ints as a true Sophomore. Most of this was after losing the best receiver in the conference, throwing to mostly freshman receivers still learning how the position is played at a high level. The play-calling did not set him up for success, repeatedly seeing things like a left-handed QB roll to the right, calling slow-developing plays, running four verts with no short options when the defense is showing blitz, etc.

He was sacked 33 times and played behind the 5th worst OL in terms of QB pressure. His last play of the season was a perfect dime while he was getting drilled during a game that saw him hit nearly every play and sacked like 8 times.

I agree he holds on to the ball too long. That's one reason he takes so many hits. It's also a reason why he has so few turnovers. He also seems slow to make decisions, but that's really hard hill for me to die on after seeing from the fan's perspective the disarray of the offense.

What has impressed me is that he leads and despite being beaten up every game, he still seems to start each game with a blank slate. He doesn't seem to have let the constant pressure permanently scar him, which is often what happens when young QBs play too soon. I don't think we have another Joe Burrow, but I also don't think we have another Jarrett Lee or Jordan Jefferson.

I think that once he finds himself behind a steady OL with WRs that catch more balls than they drop and an OC that actually has an offensive philosophy, he's going to shine.
Yeah, I haven't given up on Max. I'd like to see what Kelly and his staff can do with him. Hopefully coaching can fix some of his issues, and out him in better position to make plays. We'll see. I'm curious to see who they recruit at qb.

Max sounds a bit like Trevor Semein.

Max sounds a bit like Trevor Semein.
Well, as a sophomore behind one of the worst OL out of 120+ teams Trevor Siemens isn't a bad goal. Unlike Trevor, Max has room to improve. Trevor is what he is at this point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom