LSU vs. Bama (1 Viewer)

Cody Worshom always recaps the post-game press conferences if anyone is interested...

So Orgeron thinks an inside kick had a higher probability than picking up a 4th down conversion? Really?

We have NFL and College teams going to computer analytics to make decisions meanwhile Orgeron thinks an onside kick has a higher probability of success than picking up a 4th and 10.

Look, I've been in his camp. I like the guy. We had little shot of ever winning this game but that decision was putrid. It was a sorry arse attempt not to get shut out when the team still had a statistical chance to win the game.

If he feels like a play that has about a 10% chance of success, which even if it works, the LSU offense has to gain an additional 30 yards to get back to the same spot and do so while each second that ticks off the clock reduces the odds of winning then LSU has coaching problems.

The 3 points did not help us. The only thing missing the FG hurt is we didnt get to attempt an onside kick.

MLU, I have a serious question since you know a lot about recruiting I wanted to get your opinion. Every time LSU gets beat by Alabama, we hear the "what's with all these Louisiana kids who leave?" IMO, this is a just an excuse. LSU gets most of the best players that come out of the state and can't take everybody. Recruiting does not really explain 8 straight losses...LSU should be able to win every 3 or 4 years or so. Recruiting is plenty good enough....

So are the Louisiana kids making that much of a difference on Bama's team or is Bama going into everybody's state and getting their fair share of players? In other words, Saban's just better than anyone at one of the marquee programs in college football over the last 60+ years and it's hard for anybody to compete when a guy like Saban is at that particular university....
I'm on a phone, so this will be a shorter response than it deserves...

A lot of kids that Bama signs from Louisiana don't even have offers from LSU (Cam Sims, Hootie, etc) Some kids leave and are replaced by kids just as good from out of state, so it's a wash (Landon Collins, Eddie Lacy, etc). Occasionally, they lose a kid that would have been a differnce-maker like Cam Robinson, Devonta Lee, etc. In the end, all you can do is sell your program and allow the child to make a choice. Of all those kids, I'd have to say that Cam Robinson hurt the worst. You can't make it for them and you really can't even convince them. They're going to make the decision on what is important to them. As long as LSU is getting the majority of the best kids in Louisiana that's all you can reasonably hope for from recruiting.

You don't give up, you stay with them until the ink is dry and you keep scouting for the next class.

Of the Louisiana kids on the Bama roster right now, who would start for LSU? Dylan Moses? Nope. Devonta Lee? Probably, but how much would he produce? Shyheim Carter? Nope. Chris Allen? Nope. Slade Bolden, Phidarian Mathis? Nope, nope. Isaiah Buggs would start. Irv Smith would if we could ever use a TE as a receiver and not need them to block. It's a convenient excuse, IMO. You dont want to see them go, but when they do LSU typically finds another kid just as good from Texas, Mississippi or somewhere else in Louisiana. I think people make it more of a problems than it really is for the team.

The 3 points did not help us. The only thing missing the FG hurt is we didnt get to attempt an onside kick.
Going for it on 4ty and 8 didn't help either. Going for a FG at least prevents the shutout so you send out the kicker who is automatic. Only this time he misses. Complaining about this one call is like pointing out that your spouse is a terrible housekeeper because they forgot to empty the dishwasher while your house sits in 8 feet of water.

We really need to keep all of that Louisiana talent. I mean we couldn't get Irv Smith Jr, from New Orleans and his dad was a SAINT? Really?
Oh, no. LSU could have kept him in state, IIRC. He wanted to go to LSU. Miles didn't give him an offer.

BTW, good news everyone. I just checked the LSU website and it appears that the team does NOT have to face Bama again this season. Arkansas, Rice and TAMU plus a bowl game are all that's left. Go to bed, get hydrated and get ready for Arkansas who last I checked doesnt possess 1/5th of the talent on defense that Bama's defense has and pretty sure that Tua isn't allowed to play for them this year.

So, why is the O line so bad? I know they've had injuries, but even if they were all healthy, it's not a strong group like in years past. Are we just not recruiting O line anymore?
We had this terrible habit of recruiting OG and putting them at OT under Miles the last few years. Everyone that started tonight is best suited for OG. I think that explains a lot as to why Bama kept the guys at the edge on their heels. They're not athletic enough to handle it. La'el Collins is probably the last legit OT LSU has signed. Orgeron has made it a priority to recruit long, athletic OTs as HC. It's just going to take a couple years to get them in place.

I got overly upset after that beat down last night. I expected it and still let myself get angry. That's just silly. I need to channel that better going forward.....especially when playing Alabama.

I slept the beer off and the sun will rise shortly. LSU is 7-2 with a lot to still play for. Alabama is simply not beatable with Tua at QB. He's that exceptional QB talant Saban has been missing from his already dominant teams. It helps, too, that Tua is surrounded by 5 star talent everywhere he looks. Embarrassment of riches.

I think LSU will continue to streak of losing to Bama as long as Saban is coach. Saban puts extra emphasis on this game and his team always has more talent. This would be much easier to digest if he weren't in the SEC West.

I'm not an LSU fan but is this supposed to be fun to watch? The same team dominating every year because of systemic advantages that no team can compete with?

This is why I prefer the NFL.

I got overly upset after that beat down last night. I expected it and still let myself get angry. That's just silly. I need to channel that better going forward.....especially when playing Alabama.

I slept the beer off and the sun will rise shortly. LSU is 7-2 with a lot to still play for. Alabama is simply not beatable with Tua at QB. He's that exceptional QB talant Saban has been missing from his already dominant teams. It helps, too, that Tua is surrounded by 5 star talent everywhere he looks. Embarrassment of riches.

I think LSU will continue to streak of losing to Bama as long as Saban is coach. Saban puts extra emphasis on this game and his team always has more talent. This would be much easier to digest if he weren't in the SEC West.
Tua is a big factor but the bigger reason there was no chance to win was the physical dominance of the Alabama defense that completely shut down the LSU offense.

That’s the recurring theme and the biggest hurdle.

Oh, no. LSU could have kept him in state, IIRC. He wanted to go to LSU. Miles didn't give him an offer.
Here's my advice to the recruiting staff at LSU. If Saban is recruiting a Louisiana kid and offering him a scholarship you better too. It is that simple. Only 1 offensive lineman was available for the media after the game, center. The rest were hoarse from the 'LOOKOUT' blocks. Coach O did try to improve the O-line in the off season but suspensions, injuries, and poor talent evaluation (recruiting) hurt. The JC transfer tackle is a bust. Last year's class was short on O-lineman. I haven't paid attention to this years's class but he better get at least 6 because that entire line less center needs to be rebuilt. It's not good when you have to convert a freshman defensive tackle to a guard. I think Hines has played well considering but he should have gotten a RS.

First off, last night was ugly. Now that that's out the way....

Show of hands....who here imagined us at 7-2 before the season started? We've got a chance for a 10 win season. Who thought that was even possible? I know I didn't. I was expecting a 7 win season, at best.

Bama is just too dang loaded at every position. We couldn't pass block or run block to save our life in that game. The best way to fix that is recruit and recruit hard.

We'll be okay for the remainder of the season, as long as we play hard. Let's shoot for a top bowl game and get a win there, too. If we can do that, it'll turn out to be a pretty good season.

Here's my advice to the recruiting staff at LSU. If Saban is recruiting a Louisiana kid and offering him a scholarship you better too. It is that simple. Only 1 offensive lineman was available for the media after the game, center. The rest were hoarse from the 'LOOKOUT' blocks. Coach O did try to improve the O-line in the off season but suspensions, injuries, and poor talent evaluation (recruiting) hurt. The JC transfer tackle is a bust. Last year's class was short on O-lineman. I haven't paid attention to this years's class but he better get at least 6 because that entire line less center needs to be rebuilt. It's not good when you have to convert a freshman defensive tackle to a guard. I think Hines has played well considering but he should have gotten a RS.
So far they have 5 OL in this class and I think they're looking at possibly one more. Chasen Hines was one of the top OG in the country last season. He played both OG and DT in HS. Midway through his recruiting he told the staff he wanted to play DT. They need depth at both positions, so why not? It sounds bad, but he really was a better OG than DT from my understanding.

I disagree about offering a scholarship to a kid just because Sabana does. You're burning time and effort on a kid that may not amount to much. A lot of the kids that Saban gets from Louisiana don't amount to much. Orgeron knows talent. I trust his evaluations. No one is going to be 100% and Orgeron is going to be closer than most.

Really, when it all boils down, we got dominated at the LOS (line of scrimmage) and isn't that always the case when we lose?

I mean, it's college and bigger, stronger guys beat up on smaller, weaker ones. We need more bigger, stronger & more athletic guys on the LOS and we're just not there yet. Orgeron said it himself last night and I think it sums it up correctly.

Really, when it all boils down, we got dominated at the LOS (line of scrimmage) and isn't that always the case when we lose?

I mean, it's college and bigger, stronger guys beat up on smaller, weaker ones. We need more bigger, stronger & more athletic guys on the LOS and we're just not there yet. Orgeron said it himself last night and I think it sums it up correctly.
That's football at any level.

When physical skills are close that's when coaching, chemistry, motivation and other intangibles come into play.

When the physical gap is as large as it is between LSU and Alabama (and really the rest of the SEC), there is only so much the coaches can do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom