LSU vs. TAMU calls (1 Viewer)

I'm trying to figure out why tOSU is even being considered with their loss to unranked Purdue. I know it was a while back, but this was not a good Purdue team and the loss wasn't close. Purdue lost to Eastern Michigan. OU and tOSU both have one loss with OU's being to a ranked team. OU and then UGA should get in before tOSU. A 3-loss Texas should get in before tOSU whose only claim is a convincing win over a overranked Michigan team that gave up in the 3rd quarter and imploded.

Somebody's gonna get that spot. If OU wins they are gonna get in over OSU because of that loss to Purdue, but what if OU loses?? You have a cluster for that last spot and, my opinion, they are going to disregard the Purdue loss and give the 4th spot to the only 1 loss conference champ, whether they deserve it or not.

The ironic thing is if OU loses to Texas and Ohio St loses to Northwestern, which to me are distinct possibilities, LSU would have had pretty much everything go their way to get into that 4th spot...even Washington St lost which basically eliminates the Pac 12....Everything will have gone right, except the Texas A&M game

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
Somebody's gonna get that spot. If OU wins they are gonna get in over OSU because of that loss to Purdue, but what if OU loses?? You have a cluster for that last spot and, my opinion, they are going to disregard the Purdue loss and give the 4th spot to the only 1 loss conference champ, whether they deserve it or not.

The ironic thing is if OU loses to Texas and Ohio St loses to Northwestern, which to me are distinct possibilities, LSU would have had pretty much everything go their way to get into that 4th spot...even Washington St lost which basically eliminates the Pac 12....Everything will have gone right, except the Texas A&M game

Oh, and assuming Bama beats Georgia...

Anyone calling LSU fans whinning, really need to watch a few of the plays over. but what irks me the most is the catch and fumble called incomplete. i can understand it called incomplete on the field. but to refuse to even review the play should say a lot. I would like to hear anyone's argument defending the non review.
Also the pass interference in OT. the replay sure seemed to show no interference, really any contact at all.
Has the SEC officially responded to any of the questionable calls?

If UCF gets in to the playoffs, then LSU should leave the SEC, schedule 1 power conference game per year, as long as it isn’t against one of the best teams, go undefeated every year, and then they would also get in to the playoffs. This would destroy all incentives to schedule tough teams. Just play weak teams to allow you to run up the score without taking a beating, and then go to the playoffs annually.

That's a very fair point, but then again, Notre Dame is ranked #3, and they have followed that road map for 50 years. Sports writers don't have a second thought ranking them in the top 10 every year no matter how mediocre they actually are, unless they prove to be so bad they actually lose some of those powder puff games they schedule for themselves. And, no, I don't UCF is a major force, but if Notre Dame belongs on the top 4, then so does the soft schedule of UCF. And, yes, I think they will be destroyed, but I also think being exposed like that needs to happen to, MLU put it, end all the silliness. Frankly, the rules of who is out in the final four are messed up entirely. Only teams who won a conference championship should even be considered. Anyone else who get in isn't legitimate to me, and that includes Alabama who won a NC a few years back when they shouldn't have been included. Someone doubtless will cry, "But they were the best team!" Well, nearly every year in the NCAA March Madness, one of, if not the best team, actually loses along the way in the tournament. It's part of it. "Any given Sunday" also should apply to the best teams in college football. A championship should be earned, not coerced through influencing sports writers into getting a team back into it when they had a bad game and blew it. That may be "harsh", but that's how life actually works. This "merit" crap that college football thrives on needs to be scrapped entirely, including the way the top 25 is done, especially in the early goings of it.

They should just go ahead and expand the playoffs to 8 or 16 teams and be done with it. Personally, I think 16 teams would be a lot of fun. Drop a season game or 2 and go with a 10 game season and have a 16 team playoffs. I mean, even if we went to 16, 10+4 is still only 14 games. About what they do already with a 12 game season, plus their conference title game and bowl game, it's not all that much different.

We could see some pretty intriguing matchups and I think it would give at large teams a legitimate shot at participating. There will always be borderline teams regardless of the number, but 16 would mitigate a lot of the questionable decision making going on with the top 4 spots, which is tough to get right.

Anyone calling LSU fans whinning, really need to watch a few of the plays over. but what irks me the most is the catch and fumble called incomplete. i can understand it called incomplete on the field. but to refuse to even review the play should say a lot. I would like to hear anyone's argument defending the non review.
Also the pass interference in OT. the replay sure seemed to show no interference, really any contact at all.
Has the SEC officially responded to any of the questionable calls?

It was reviewed...Orgeron said it...they told him not to waste his timeout. They looked at it in the booth and there wasn't enough to overturn

My complaint is that it should have been announced that the "previous play is under review" so people would know. Doing it the way they did it just causes questions

That's a very fair point, but then again, Notre Dame is ranked #3, and they have followed that road map for 50 years. Sports writers don't have a second thought ranking them in the top 10 every year no matter how mediocre they actually are, unless they prove to be so bad they actually lose some of those powder puff games they schedule for themselves. And, no, I don't UCF is a major force, but if Notre Dame belongs on the top 4, then so does the soft schedule of UCF. And, yes, I think they will be destroyed, but I also think being exposed like that needs to happen to, MLU put it, end all the silliness. Frankly, the rules of who is out in the final four are messed up entirely. Only teams who won a conference championship should even be considered. Anyone else who get in isn't legitimate to me, and that includes Alabama who won a NC a few years back when they shouldn't have been included. Someone doubtless will cry, "But they were the best team!" Well, nearly every year in the NCAA March Madness, one of, if not the best team, actually loses along the way in the tournament. It's part of it. "Any given Sunday" also should apply to the best teams in college football. A championship should be earned, not coerced through influencing sports writers into getting a team back into it when they had a bad game and blew it. That may be "harsh", but that's how life actually works. This "merit" crap that college football thrives on needs to be scrapped entirely, including the way the top 25 is done, especially in the early goings of it.
Notre Dame has been overrated in years past with powder puff schedules, but this year they've played a better schedule and I think their rating is justifiable. UCF is not justified, because they've had some close games against powder puff teams, so their undefeated record doesn't impress me. UCF beat Memphis by 1 point, and had relatively close games against a few other powder puffs. Last year UCF had a good team, but this year their ranking is inflated by their schedule. On the other hand Notre Dame has quality wins against Michigan, Northwestern and Syracuse. Also, you have to look at the quality of the opponents and how you fare against those opponents, not just wins and losses. If you don't do that, you destroy incentives to play against challenging teams. We need to reward Notre Dame for changing their ways, and require teams like UCF to schedule tougher opponents if they want respect. I think the merit system may sometimes result in some teams being evaluated wrong, but it is better than the alternative of not considering merit. Besides, computer algorithms are improving merit evaluations.

Notre Dame has been overrated in years past with powder puff schedules, but this year they've played a better schedule and I think their rating is justifiable. UCF is not justified, because they've had some close games against powder puff teams, so their undefeated record doesn't impress me. UCF beat Memphis by 1 point, and had relatively close games against a few other powder puffs. Last year UCF had a good team, but this year their ranking is inflated by their schedule. On the other hand Notre Dame has quality wins against Michigan, Northwestern and Syracuse. Also, you have to look at the quality of the opponents and how you fare against those opponents, not just wins and losses. If you don't do that, you destroy incentives to play against challenging teams. We need to reward Notre Dame for changing their ways, and require teams like UCF to schedule tougher opponents if they want respect. I think the merit system may sometimes result in some teams being evaluated wrong, but it is better than the alternative of not considering merit. Besides, computer algorithms are improving merit evaluations.

Still holding onto the idea that Notre Dame changed its ways? Did you see what Florida did to Michigan today? I'm just not buying ND's "tougher schedule" this year. They didn't play anybody who was of SEC quality or conference champion level. Clemson proved that once again Notre Dame had no business being included in the hunt for the NC (not that it really matters, since Vegas obviously has decided Bama is winning it this year). But they had as much business being included in the final four as UCF. Neither can compete with the teams that actually belong in those spots of contention.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom