LSU vs UCF (Fiesta Bowl) (1 Viewer)

SVP is actually crowing that Burrow was "leaking" after the UFC player targeted him after the throw.

(Talking about the hit that cut him on the neck and caused him to spit blood. Not the Pick Six play.)

In watching the other bowl games, it becomes awkwardly obvious how relatively lax our coaching is.

I saw less targeting, no ejections, fewer dumbarse mistakes.

Starting to see Orgeron’s fingerprints on this program. Maybe too early to tell but it looks kinda like the old Miami Canes teams; a group with some heart but no brain. Those were some fierce teams with great players so maybe it’ll work but I think the rules have changed too much to allow success.

Some of y'all sound like we just lost. 10 win season. Top-10 finish. Very good recruiting class coming in. New Year's Day bowl victory. I agree that sometimes the Tigers have trouble executing basic plays on offense, which is frustrating, but I see the glass as more than half full. If you watched the Sugar Bowl, you would have seen targeting/discipline incidents similar to what we saw from the Tigers. By the way, I think the targeting call on Delpit was (again) wrong.

SVP is actually crowing that Burrow was "leaking" after the UFC player targeted him after the throw.

(Talking about the hit that cut him on the neck and caused him to spit blood. Not the Pick Six play.)

In watching the other bowl games, it becomes awkwardly obvious how relatively lax our coaching is.

Starting to see Orgeron’s fingerprints on this program. Maybe too early to tell but it looks kinda like the old Miami Canes teams; a group with some heart but no brain. Those were some fierce teams with great players so maybe it’ll work but I think the rules have changed too much to allow success.

I agree. There were a lot of stupid decisions made that resulted in personal fouls.

By the way, I think the targeting call on Delpit was (again) wrong.
Somewhere along the way this targeting rule lost it's 'intent' factor. Now it seems to be based mainly on how hard two helmets hit together or how much 'damage' was done, rather than if a player was deliberately using his helmet as a weapon.

When Delpit lowered himself to make that tackle, the leaping receiver's helmet was at least 2 ft higher than his own! There is absolutely no way Delpit could have calculated where the 'descending' player's helmet would be as made contact.

If the officials are going to call non-deliberate helmet hits, then it's going be impossible to know who is going to be able to play an entire game for your team no matter how you train your players. In the name of safety they are starting to 'reach', and it may begin to make a lot of fans question the integrity of the game. :hm:

Somewhere along the way this targeting rule lost it's 'intent' factor. Now it seems to be based mainly on how hard two helmets hit together or how much 'damage' was done, rather than if a player was deliberately using his helmet as a weapon.

When Delpit lowered himself to make that tackle, the leaping receiver's helmet was at least 2 ft higher than his own! There is absolutely no way Delpit could have calculated where the 'descending' player's helmet would be as made contact.

If the officials are going to call non-deliberate helmet hits, then it's going be impossible to know who is going to be able to play an entire game for your team no matter how you train your players. In the name of safety they are starting to 'reach', and it may begin to make a lot of fans question the integrity of the game. :hm:

I don't like the ejection part of the rule, but you can't fine college players, so how do you make it punitive so it doesn't continue to happen?? There is no way to judge intent so you can't do that....

part of that the refs are responsible for. Very early on in this game they allowed UCF DBs to mug our WRs with no fouls. They allowed hits by UCF players that were clearly late/illegal to go unflagged.

At some point, as an 18 or 19 year old, instinct is to strike back. Alexander did it and subsequently ejected. The Delpit hit was unavoidable and garbage.

By the time the refs tried to get a handle on it, the damage was done. They set the tone early and let it get away from them.

You didnt see the same obvious missed calls in any of the other bowl games because i didnt either.

Thats part of the issue. You speak of the Canes....look no further than across the field and the DC for UCF. Randy Shannon. Now you understand the mindset those kids were COACHED to play with and you see the result.

That hit on Burrow was flagrant and unecessary. The reason still eludes me how 91 stayed in the game. Followed by the hit out of bounds on Burrow by the DB in the very next series. IT was clear they were ready to hit regardless of penalties.

I don't like the ejection part of the rule, but you can't fine college players, so how do you make it punitive so it doesn't continue to happen?? There is no way to judge intent so you can't do that....
The NCAA should adopt a system like the NBA's Flagrant 1 and Flagrant 2 fouls. A Flagrant 1 is contact that is violent and unnecessary, but not deemed "excessive," and it does not get the player ejected from the game. A Flagrant 2 is contact that is violent, unnecessary, and excessive and leads to automatic ejection. At most, Delpit's hit was a "Flagrant 1" and should not have led to his ejection.

Well then... how do they define 'targeting'?
Unintended helmet hits happen all the time. It sounds like this infraction will forever be based solely on 'judgement' which will be greatly influenced by the severity more than what appears to have been the player's intent.

I don't understand how this way of ruling will 'train' kids to avoid targeting. :shrug:

Sloppy game, but they earned a win. I agree with Brown....this is looking like an old Canes team. Talented, but undiciplined. Oregeron MUST regain complete control over this team. You simply cannot take the next step to greatness with an undiciplined team and double digit penalties. It simply will cost you games against better competition.

Another negative that needs to be addressed is red zone offense. It was a problem all year and continued to hurt the team in the bowl game. The upgrade in talent at RB will help, but some of it is scheme and play-calling. LSU has to take more "shots" to their taller receivers. Get Burrow to throw it to a spot and trust your big guy will come down with it. The staff seems too concervative in the red zone and they do not like those jump ball opportunities. IMO, red zone offense may be the most important aspect of the off-season. It's gotta improve.

The other area that needs to improve is punt returns. The Tigers STUNK all year. Like STUNK. Put Delpit or Stingley back there. It's a huge concern.

On the positive side, Joe Burrow. While he lacks consistency, the dude is a warrior and heady player. He improved all season long. Burrow will be much better next year. Tigers have a chance to be special in 2019.

A lot of good, core players returning. The receiving corps will be outstanding. Chase is a superstar in the making. Hope they can get some healthy bodies at TE. RB will be vastly improved. Depending on some circumstances, offensive line can be really solid.....they were a disappointment this year. You lose White and Greedy, but the defense could be better than this year. More depth and the return of Chassion. If LSU gets a few Amite kids, the cupboard will start to fill up again.

I'm excited about next year. They have work to do, but everything is fixable. Take Bama out of the FBS and we could win it all!!!

The targeting call on Delpit was legit. He led with the crown of his helmet and made 'force-able' contact with the receiver's head and neck area. Whether the receiver balled up or not is mute. Tell that to the judge when you throw a punch at someone and miss and hit the old lady next to him. "I didn't mean to punch the old lady your honor," won't work in court and doesn't work here either. Was Delpit 'aiming' for the receiver's head at the time? Probably not but the point is he lead with the crown of his helmet. What concerns me more about these helmet to helmet rules is the Burrow hit on the interception and the White hit in the MSU game. 91 for UCF should have been thrown out the game, his hit was an attempt to hurt Burrow. White's hit in the MSU game was incidental which happens practically every play in football. The hit by White must have been redefined later in the season as I saw numerous hits of the same caliber not get called. The refs lost control of this game early on. Both teams should have been warned and flagged early which would have settled things out. LSU played a lot of players on defense so the mental mistakes are understandable.

Last edited:
LSU was #77 out of 130 teams in penalties assessed per game. I'm not really sure where you people are getting that this is a huge deal for this team. At times they are sloppy, but so is every college team from time to time. They're statistically middle of the road under 7 penalties per game. Under Orgeron, they have been better than average is not turning the ball over. Bowl games are anomalies and not a good indicator of where your team is in terms of quality.

Sloppy game, but they earned a win. I agree with Brown....this is looking like an old Canes team. Talented, but undiciplined. Oregeron MUST regain complete control over this team. You simply cannot take the next step to greatness with an undiciplined team and double digit penalties. It simply will cost you games against better competition.

Another negative that needs to be addressed is red zone offense. It was a problem all year and continued to hurt the team in the bowl game. The upgrade in talent at RB will help, but some of it is scheme and play-calling. LSU has to take more "shots" to their taller receivers. Get Burrow to throw it to a spot and trust your big guy will come down with it. The staff seems too concervative in the red zone and they do not like those jump ball opportunities. IMO, red zone offense may be the most important aspect of the off-season. It's gotta improve.

The other area that needs to improve is punt returns. The Tigers STUNK all year. Like STUNK. Put Delpit or Stingley back there. It's a huge concern.

On the positive side, Joe Burrow. While he lacks consistency, the dude is a warrior and heady player. He improved all season long. Burrow will be much better next year. Tigers have a chance to be special in 2019.

A lot of good, core players returning. The receiving corps will be outstanding. Chase is a superstar in the making. Hope they can get some healthy bodies at TE. RB will be vastly improved. Depending on some circumstances, offensive line can be really solid.....they were a disappointment this year. You lose White and Greedy, but the defense could be better than this year. More depth and the return of Chassion. If LSU gets a few Amite kids, the cupboard will start to fill up again.

I'm excited about next year. They have work to do, but everything is fixable. Take Bama out of the FBS and we could win it all!!!
I know that we can replace Greedy, because I think we have other 1st round talent CBs. Stingley may step right in without missing a beat on missing Greedy. On the other hand, I am worried about replacing White. I don't think we have anyone that can replace him. We're going to have to improve in other areas, and I think that can happen. IF White were to return, and with improvements in other areas, next year's defense would be the best we've ever had. I also think the offense will improve due to more experience and growth of all returning players, plus the addition of a couple of stud RBs and an improved oline. With just some modest luck, I think we'll be in the CFP next year.

LSU was #77 out of 130 teams in penalties assessed per game. I'm not really sure where you people are getting that this is a huge deal for this team. At times they are sloppy, but so is every college team from time to time. They're statistically middle of the road under 7 penalties per game. Under Orgeron, they have been better than average is not turning the ball over. Bowl games are anomalies and not a good indicator of where your team is in terms of quality.
I agree. I have mostly ignored the "I'm off the Coach O bandwagon, this team is an undisciplined Miami clone, the coaching staff is lax" blah blah blah blah. They are what they are, a 10-3 team that had a chance to win 2 of the 3 games they lost and vice versa. They are still a step or two behind Bama just like the rest of college football besides Clemson. When the preseason polls come out they will be around or in the top 5. The UT game on September 7th has the possibility of being an early top 5 match up. Top priority is finding the best starting 5 on that offensive line and pass rush, pass rush, pass rush! Ole Miss will still be down, and I think MSU will have a down year. The toughest home game will be UF with A&M a close second. If Aranda can find a pass rush those two games will be wins because the secondary will be loaded even without Greedy. The schedule sets up real nice for LSU. Of course Bama is Bama and you'll have to wait and see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom