LSU's DBs - Saints? (1 Viewer)

hilby

Very Banned
Reaction score
I haven't followed many of the top DBs coming out of college this year, but in watching the game last night, it appeared the best DBs were playing for LSU. Do they have any of the top draft eligible DBs this year?

I haven't followed many of the top DBs coming out of college this year, but in watching the game last night, it appeared the best DBs were playing for LSU. Do they have any of the top draft eligible DBs this year?

The best DB last night played for tOSU. The difference in Jenkins and Jackson is pretty substantial, though Jackson has the ability to be a good NFL player.

And to answer your original question, Chevis Jackson is draft eligible and is projected anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th right now...though it is mighty early to tell just where he will go.

Last edited:
The only LSU DB I'd take is Jackson in the 3rd round. Zenon as a project late in the draft maybe.

I'm not sold on Jenkins. I know he is rated high and is a great athlete, but I question his ability to play man coverage since he plays zone at slowhio st.

I'm not sold on Jenkins. I know he is rated high and is a great athlete, but I question his ability to play man coverage since he plays zone at slowhio st.

Ohio State plays a large portion of their games with him in man coverage, and Jenkins has always been excellent at it. It's considered one of his strong suits, along with his ability to find the ball. :shrug:

Jenkins excels in man to man coverage
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1216

Ohio State plays a large portion of their games with him in man coverage, and Jenkins has always been excellent at it. It's considered one of his strong suits, along with his ability to find the ball. :shrug:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1216

So OSU plays Jenkins in man, but everyone else in zone? I havent seen many of their games so I dont know, but from what I understand they primarily play zone. Also I have never heard of FFtoolbox so I dont really trust their evaluation so much. I do think that Jenkins is talented enough to play man in the NFL. I am just a little concerned because of the Jason David experiment going so terribly wrong.

So OSU plays Jenkins in man, but everyone else in zone? I havent seen many of their games so I dont know, but from what I understand they primarily play zone. Also I have never heard of FFtoolbox so I dont really trust their evaluation so much. I do think that Jenkins is talented enough to play man in the NFL. I am just a little concerned because of the Jason David experiment going so terribly wrong.

Fine, here's tOSU's very own athletics page. They play plenty of man utilizing his skills. I'm not asking you to trust their evaluation, I really don't care...but you stated that he played in a zone system, and that's just not true.
excels at man-to-man coverage

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/Vi...&DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=1059260&Q_SEASON=2007

No, the others don't just play zone. They play man as well, but many times Ohio State rolled their safety coverage to help other sides of the ball and locked Jenkins up 1 on 1 as opposed to having help over the top or a LB underneath.

The best DB last night played for tOSU. The difference in Jenkins and Jackson is pretty substantial, though Jackson has the ability to be a good NFL player.

And to answer your original question, Chevis Jackson is draft eligible and is projected anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th right now...though it is mighty early to tell just where he will go.

What separates the two Waymer? I think Jackson had a better game last night, he showed great technique and good ball awareness skills too.

I was impressed with Chevis Jackson last night. Seemed he was step for step with the receiver every time I saw him. That interception was purely good coverage. If we can get him in the 2nd or 3rd (or 4th) I'd be happy with him.

As objective as an LSU diehard can be, Chevis outplayed Jenkins. I think he may have boosted his stock last night.

What separates the two Waymer? I think Jackson had a better game last night, he showed great technique and good ball awareness skills too.

Honestly, I don't know enough to answer that 100%, but I'll give it a go. I simply haven't watched enough of LSU to know (and TV doesn't provide a good view of the secondary to truly evaluate on person). I'm merely going by what I've read from "experts" and the few things I've seen.

Just my guess based on what I've seen is that it is Jenkins' physical abilities that will be the difference in terms of where they get drafted. Speed, explosiveness, and size (in particular their perceived bulk and strength) seemingly are the determining factor in giving Jenkins the nod. Both CBs have the type of height and weight you are looking for in a CB, and I agree that both play the ball well. I've been impressed from what I've seen of Jackson and think he can be a good player. CB is one of the spots in the NFL where good technique can overcome some things, and Jackson seems to have that and certainly has big game experience which is a plus.

I wouldn't judge solely from last night of course, because there is more than one game in a season, and we really only saw a few plays from each. Jenkins did give up a score, but even Champ Bailey got beat "often" this season. Ultimately I think Jackson needs some really good workout #s so he can improve his position and eliminate doubters.

I can tell you about Jackson,

I have watched every LSU game this season save one. Last night is the game that he has brought week in and week out. His reads are phenomenal, he gets quick jumps on the routes, and when he gets to the ball he doesn't drop it too often. He is definitely a technician, and I think that will translate to the pro game. More teams picked on Zenon than Chevis this year, so his lack of stats are due to teams not throwing to him.

The only question about Chevis is his speed? I am going to be curious to see what he runs in the 40 at the combine. If he is around 4.5 that should be good enough for first round. If he is still around when the saints pick in the second they should jump at him.
I really think he might be good enough to take in the first though.

The only question about Chevis is his speed? I am going to be curious to see what he runs in the 40 at the combine. If he is around 4.5 that should be good enough for first round. If he is still around when the saints pick in the second they should jump at him.
I really think he might be good enough to take in the first though.

Yeah, I think ultimately speed might be his biggest concern. I think he needs to get into the 4.4s, even if it is 4.9. For the most part there seems to be a stigma attached to anyone running a 4.5, 4.6, etc...especially at DB, WR, and RB since those are the positions that will possibly have to run 40 yards on a given play. There are exceptions, but players who run poorly at those positions tend to slide in the draft. I wouldn't mind a bit if Jackson became a Saint.

The interesting thing about this draft is that it is a pretty deep draft at CB in the first few rounds. You've get Malcolm Jenkins, Mike Jenkins, Talib, Cason, Smith from Oklahoma, Lowery from SJSU, McKelvin from Troy, Tribble from BC, Justin King from Penn St if he declares, Jackson, etc, etc. There's probably 10-12 guys that could easily make a case for being a 2nd rounder or better. Someone's going to slide and these guys are going to be put on the microscope to see what they lack.

I know Jackson ran stride-for-stride with the OSU receivers last night, but who are the OSU receivers? The only one I had ever heard of is Robiskie. Is it really saying much that he covered them well last night? I'm actually asking because I have no clue.

I know Jackson ran stride-for-stride with the OSU receivers last night, but who are the OSU receivers? The only one I had ever heard of is Robiskie. Is it really saying much that he covered them well last night? I'm actually asking because I have no clue.

Most people say Robiskie is a 4.5 guy. I'm not sure what Brian Hartline's speed is, but it seems to be lacking in terms of being elite.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom