Lutz (1 Viewer)

Not to mention Lutz nailed 4 35 yard extra points right down the middle. I get nervous with Forbath in that range. People saying there's no excuse for missing a 50 yarder, do you even realize how crazy that sounds?? That is by no means an easy field goal, dome or not. "No business missing that fifty yarder":spit:

It's one of the craziest things in sports. Kicking gets very little respect. It seems easy, it seems whimpy. But it's...well, it's not easy.

Frankly, I can see 100% why Payton signed him after one workout. Payton also said Delvin Breaux had one of the best workouts he'd ever seen out of a cornerback.

He doesn't say these things lightly. He's also praised Michael Thomas quite highly.

Our team is slowly, but surely amassing some serious talent.

I am in no way saying Lutz will be Morten, but I would like to see him play a few more games before I am calling for another kicker. Lutz has a fine leg, and as the previous poster mentioned, he was wide on that 50+ yard kick, but man, he had some leg on it for another 10 yards.

It's one of the craziest things in sports. Kicking gets very little respect. It seems easy, it seems whimpy. But it's...well, it's not easy.

Frankly, I can see 100% why Payton signed him after one workout. Payton also said Delvin Breaux had one of the best workouts he'd ever seen out of a cornerback.

He doesn't say these things lightly. He's also praised Michael Thomas quite highly.

Our team is slowly, but surely amassing some serious talent.

People don't realize how many small things have to go perfectly in a split second for any field goal to be good, let alone a 50 yarder

Gostkowski, arguably the best kicker in football, has a career long of 57 yards. We expect a rookie to kick a game winning 61 yarder in his 1st game? Let the kid stay around a while.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Looks like he followed up the greatest kicker workout in history with the greatest 2 for 4 game in history.

I would still just go for it every time (especially now that Oakland pantsed us on a 2 pt conversion at home.)

He is still too raw. Should of stayed on a practice squad. No business missing a 50 yard FG in a dome or kicking low on a chipshot.

Replay had the wing defender coming to block the punt unchallenged. We thought it was due to a low chip kick but it wasn't. We need to do better on special teams. Can't let the wing defender get a clear path to the block a kick like that. I think he did well. 40 yards and under he needs to be 90%. 60 yards plus 30%. 50 yards 60%. We didn't lose because of him today.

"That ball had a couple more yards on it, so I feel like that's about my range, and if I'm asked to kick it again, I'll put it right through the pipes," Lutz said.

He also talked about the confidence CSP has given him. He's already talking about his next opportunity, and CSP said Lutz will be kicking for the Saints long after he is done coaching here (which slightly worries me how little he thinks that may be) but that is some legendary stuff. I love that and am really excited for Lutz. We finally got kicker right

"Payton needs to just stick to one kicker!"
*misses a kick*
"Payton needs to dump this bum!"

I wasnt expecting a rookie kicker to make a 61yrd FG to win a game. SP should have gotten the ball closer. No way he makes that during a game.

If the D would of taken care of business in the 4th we wouldn't be having this debate

I am very excited about Lutz. He is definitely raw and needs a lot of work on form and consistency. Oh then again, is McMahon his coach? He has what looks like an old habit. When he goes for power, he dipped his right shoulder and right side. This creates hook/left spin just like golfers. That is a minor fix in form. And after a few games, he will know to kick short FGs with high launch angle.

We need a larger sample size than Coach Payton is usually willing to give. The worst one to me was when he cut Mehlheff after missing one kick on a sloppy field in England. Lutz has obviously proven his power. Now we need to just let it go for this season and reevaluate at the end. It sounds like Coach Payton is not in a hurry to make a move this time. I'm grateful for that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom