M. Jones-Drew called himself the second-highest paid "decoy" in the league, behind New Orleans running back Reggie Bush. (1 Viewer)

Yes they do. If you post a slightly negative, yet truthful comment about any Saints player people will give you negative rep all day. :jpshakehead:

Anybody that's watched MJD and Reggie since they've come into the league knows MJD is a much better player physically and mentally (by mentally, I mean he's tougher and has more heart). Some people need to take off the Black and Gold shades.

I agree with most everything you said, except what is bolded. I just don't see how anyone can say that about Reggie, and I wish people would explain themselves more when they make statements based on opinion rather than fact.

Also, I don't think its all Saints players. I think people are just tired of people ragging on Reggie, with statements like "cut him", "trade him for Dorsey", "trade him for a 2nd or 3rd". Its just getting old and I think people are tired of seeing the negativity.

I must be the only person that didnt see it as a shot against Reggie? more as a shot at how he and Reggie are being used or appear to be used in there respective offenses.

Well, when we're talking about the subject of "heart" it's always a measure of opinion. I mean, you can't "factually" say someone has more heart than someone else. You have to base it on what you see. And to me, I just don't see the Lion in Reggie. He'll stick his nose in there and break some tackles but having heart is more than that.

I've seen on too many occasions since his time here where he looks timid out there after a mistake. He loses self confidence in himself quickly. I've watched way too much football to learn that mental toughness and a short memory is more important than physical attributes. I guess that's one of the main reasons why Drew Brees is so highly regarded to Saints fans (and he should be). The guy is 6foot nothing, doesn't have a strong arm, and has had to listen to ppl tell him he won't be a successful starting QB in this league b/c of it. You can just look at the way Drew carries himself on the field that he's a warrior. I just don't see it in Reggie.

I understand where you're coming from though. :9:

Side note: I'm friends with an NFL player and he's told me on two seperate occasions that Reggie is viewed by many ppl in the league as a soft yet talented decoy. I'm just giving you a different perspective on what his colleagues think of him. If his fellow NFL players, guys who are out there in the trenches and see Reggie first-hand, says the guy has intestinal problems.....then it makes you wonder.

I understand "heart" is always an opinion, I just didnt see anything to back it up originally. But you stated your case. I think the timidness and lossing confidence you speak of has to do with his mental toughness, which I agree he may need more of.

When I think of someone without heart, I think of someone who gives up easily and is lazy and doesnt care. Things I have never noticed in Reggie. If anything he tries too hard.

Given the brutal short carreers of runningbacks, being the highest paid decoy would probably be my job of choosing as a RB in the NFL.

Absolutely!

MJD would make a great 3rd down back.

Players like Tony Galbareth and Kevin Faulk seem to play forever. I'm hoping Pierre Thomas becomes that kind of player, and stays a Saint for 10 more years.

Well, when we're talking about the subject of "heart" it's always a measure of opinion. I mean, you can't "factually" say someone has more heart than someone else. You have to base it on what you see. And to me, I just don't see the Lion in Reggie. He'll stick his nose in there and break some tackles but having heart is more than that.

I've seen on too many occasions since his time here where he looks timid out there after a mistake. He loses self confidence in himself quickly. I've watched way too much football to learn that mental toughness and a short memory is more important than physical attributes. I guess that's one of the main reasons why Drew Brees is so highly regarded to Saints fans (and he should be). The guy is 6foot nothing, doesn't have a strong arm, and has had to listen to ppl tell him he won't be a successful starting QB in this league b/c of it. You can just look at the way Drew carries himself on the field that he's a warrior. I just don't see it in Reggie.

I understand where you're coming from though. :9:

Side note: I'm friends with an NFL player and he's told me on two seperate occasions that Reggie is viewed by many ppl in the league as a soft yet talented decoy. I'm just giving you a different perspective on what his colleagues think of him. If his fellow NFL players, guys who are out there in the trenches and see Reggie first-hand, says the guy has intestinal problems.....then it makes you wonder.

Can't roll with you on this one. Reggie's done plenty of runs into the "Lion's Den" as well as 1v1 shots with LBs. Reggie's ends up trash talking about every 3rd play and yelling in some guy's face. What lack of passion are you referring to?
Mind you, he did this more in previous years, but I"m sure SP has told him to tone it down, it only get's you killed to trash talk the opponents, more action less talk. In the end, the guy is far from soft. Trying to run around defender's when you are that much faster than them is not soft. I think the many, many times he's taken it to the LBs should be more than enough for him to get his toughness badge.

I understand "heart" is always an opinion, I just didnt see anything to back it up originally. But you stated your case. I think the timidness and lossing confidence you speak of has to do with his mental toughness, which I agree he may need more of.

When I think of someone without heart, I think of someone who gives up easily and is lazy and doesnt care. Things I have never noticed in Reggie. If anything he tries too hard.

Well you do have a point and maybe that is what I was trying to say. Some people take mental toughness and heart hand-in-hand

Can't roll with you on this one. Reggie's done plenty of runs into the "Lion's Den" as well as 1v1 shots with LBs. Reggie's ends up trash talking about every 3rd play and yelling in some guy's face. What lack of passion are you referring to?
Mind you, he did this more in previous years, but I"m sure SP has told him to tone it down, it only get's you killed to trash talk the opponents, more action less talk. In the end, the guy is far from soft. Trying to run around defender's when you are that much faster than them is not soft. I think the many, many times he's taken it to the LBs should be more than enough for him to get his toughness badge.

Well your point is well taken and I'll leave it at that. God knows we have way too many threads where Reggie's play is scrutinized down to a T and I don't want this thread to turn into that. Cause afterall, I really do like Reggie on this team.

Put some logic into this.
NFL players obviously know more about what is going on in the game than we do. What he said probably reflects the thinking in the film room as DCs and coaches around the league try to figure out our offensive schemes. In essence, he more or less told us what other teams think is going on with our offense as far as Reggie is concerned, WHICH is likely, what IS going on with our offense. I believe it.
That is why I personally think Reggie is a gem as a young man first, as a player second. The guy has talent falling out of his pockets and has to deal with putting his dream aside to help us win. More often than not, he IS being a decoy. Look at every play he is out on the field and not involved. He moves, 2-3 guys on the defense move with him in rhythm, guaranteed. He does it, and doesn't complain. You ALL have to agree, he has been amazing with handling the BS we fans have given him. With other guys becoming stars as a result, Reggie will hopefully get a chance to play the game little more like “normal” players with one exception... He will NEVER, EVER, be completely wide open or left alone like “normal” players. He’s 2 dimensional so containment is impossible without assigning a DB on him, similar to Westbrook. And like Westbrook, the guy will get less attention over time and many teams will be burned as a result.
The guy is a champ in my book.

Bro, on the money...

People might have differing opinions about his play But There can be no denying he is a gem of a person. Great guy...

Guys, I think many are missing the point the Jags got beat 41-0 this is reason for his comments nothing else. I went to the game here in Houston and this guy had a 60 yard run from scrimmage. This is not about Reggie this is about a team that lost big and the best player was not given the ball

Just curious.
They got beat 41-0.... at what point of that game do you stop running the ball? Anybody that watches enough football knows that when you're down 20-0, or more, the running game is pretty much out of the window. So, he's complaining because he wasn't given the ball more? He got 12 carries - what did he do with them (34 yards, averaged 2.8 ypc) Did he score? No. So, how was getting more carries going to help his team? The defense is bad in Jacksonville, their QB is bad, and those two things negate a running game.
Any coach whose defense is not playing well, is down by a bunch, is going to throw, throw, throw. Maybe I'm missing something. :shrug:

Last edited:
Reggie. team player
MJD. Me player

I'll take Reggie anyday over MJD.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom