Madden 10 Saints help (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm new to online madden. I play on the PS3 and made it to level 6 using steelers. now i'm using the saints and cant get enough d to stop the opposing player. i've made some subs (vilma to LOLB Cassilas at MLB changing up the secondary to get more speed etc.) but people are laying 20-30 points on me still. I run the NYJ playbook and get some solid plays from the 1-5-5 and quarters. I don't nano because most ppl just dump it off and burn me when I do. So how do you get a competitive D with them? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Only thing I could say is use the MLB and stay behind if they try to run or use a HB screen,then crisscross through blockers and junk, and make the tackle. For passing I would say just let them do whatever and score and I get my points back on offense. Usually they dump it off to tight ends and runningbacks with the OLB on them and I usually get tough picks on them, and when they use long throws on the WR I take control of the CB covering them and either swat the ball away or intercept it. They usually get a good catch about 3 or 5 times a game. That's all I could give.

what i like to do is run the pitsburgh playbook.

go to dime, and play like a cover 3.
i then press the receivers, and audible into 2 man under, will smith then comes off the line and i put him into flat zone coverage, and pinch the line.

then i man either the NT or MLB, and the pass coverage is almost amazing.

Why Casillas? There is more to Madden than speed, especially this year. I hate playing people who create these fake teams. There is nothing wrong with Shanle, Vilma, Fujita. If you can't win with the real team, these crazy substitutions will not help you, I think they will hurt more. Like last year, whenever I would play Oakland, people would use their fast CBs as WRs. Ok, so they would burn Jason David...but they couldn't catch very well and would fumble when hit sticked. Crazy subs are a double edged sword, and I hope Casillas dies by it.

Why Casillas? There is more to Madden than speed, especially this year. I hate playing people who create these fake teams. There is nothing wrong with Shanle, Vilma, Fujita. If you can't win with the real team, these crazy substitutions will not help you, I think they will hurt more. Like last year, whenever I would play Oakland, people would use their fast CBs as WRs. Ok, so they would burn Jason David...but they couldn't catch very well and would fumble when hit sticked. Crazy subs are a double edged sword, and I hope Casillas dies by it.

I can win without changing the D, I was just experimenting with different personnel. And moving Vilma to LOLB is something a lot of Saints players do online. And changing out your LB's isn't the same as using Cb's as Wr's and vice versa. My problem is that I have to rely on the O more than I'd like to win games.

Using the Pitt playbook now, that seems to be working better. Thanks for the tip. Still I just played some cheeser who ran the same running play out of NE's playbook the entire game picking up 6+ yards a clip. I haven't used NE in a while but it was a 0 WR 3 HB 2 TE set handoff. Nothing I tried could stop it short.

Billy Miller is out of the game now :(

Well I understand that you are experimenting. Here is one out of position change that I do make, only to get Shockey involved in a set he normally isn't in. The Shotgun 2HB 3WR set is pretty awesome. You can sub in Shockey at FB and throw to him all day in the flats, in an unbumpable route (because he is coming out of the backfield like a flex or H back).
separator.gif

Billy Miller is out of the game now :(

Well I understand that you are experimenting. Here is one out of position change that I do make, only to get Shockey involved in a set he normally isn't in. The Shotgun 2HB 3WR set is pretty awesome. You can sub in Shockey at FB and throw to him all day in the flats, in an unbumpable route (because he is coming out of the backfield like a flex or H back).
separator.gif

Hey thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that. Y'all probably already know this but you can take the Gun Slants In (might be called Slants Middle in the No playbook) and motion the slot receiver (Devery by default) to the other side- generally picks up at least 10 yds vs zone 8/10 times.

The biggest improvement I've made so far on D, is just changing the player I control. I now use Ellis and just try to put pressure up the middle. It's lead to a lot of sacks, forced throws, INT's. And if Grant and Smith are in contain, you just have to flush the qb towards one of them and they'll jump in for the sack.

Yeah, I like controlling the NT to shut down the run game. Its also good to have a lot of zone blitzes set in your audibles (because once you call these zone blitz audibles, you can formation audible to cover 2, 3, man, blitz). I try to have my audibles set to zone blitz from different 4-3s, nick regular, nick strong, nick 335, and dollar.

Ok, so I'm new to online madden. I play on the PS3 and made it to level 6 using steelers. now i'm using the saints and cant get enough d to stop the opposing player. i've made some subs (vilma to LOLB Cassilas at MLB changing up the secondary to get more speed etc.) but people are laying 20-30 points on me still. I run the NYJ playbook and get some solid plays from the 1-5-5 and quarters. I don't nano because most ppl just dump it off and burn me when I do. So how do you get a competitive D with them? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I seriously think moving Vilma to the outside is a mistake. I get plenty of picks with Vilma because his awareness is really high. He basically controls the middle of the field. The only players I move on defense are Grant to DT and then I start McCray DE.

I for some reason, always have my slot receiver leading the team in receptions. My first season Meachum had around 60-70 receptions, where as Moore only had around 20, and colston around 50. I have a ton of passes to TEs and RBs though, Heath Evans is a beast in the flats too.

This season I'm subbing Colston as slot in all my formations, so I'll see how that works out. Also, I had to let Mike Bell go, cap reasons. I signed Dwyer from GA Tech in about the 6th round. He's a 70 rookie at RB, so should be fun to see how he works along with PT and Reggie.

I suggest Multiple D and mix up your looks. dont be affraid to experiment with different substitution packages. My fav. GW impersonation involves the 46 and moving Sharper to SS and Jenkins to SS. I also love the "Speed" package in the 46. Plenty plenty was to cook up some D in that playbook. Practice mode is your friend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom