Mahomes and KC's offense without Hunt (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Saw this gem on another forum tonight and had to share it here -

PPG with Hunt (11 games) - 36.7, PPG without Hunt (including playoffs) 32 PPG

Mahomes with Hunt - 264/391 67.5% 3628 yards 9.3YPA 37 TDs 10 Ints 117.9 Passer Rating

Mahomes without Hunt - 146/230 63.5% 1747 yards 7.6YPA 13 TDs 2 Ints 102 Passer Rating

Kansas City's offense has come back down to earth a bit since Hunt was cut. In reference; for the first 11 games, they faced defenses that gave up 16.9 PPG overall. In the past 6 games, it's dropped to 15.8th overall. So they've faced better defenses, but not by a wide margin.

Before Hunt was cut, they were held to 31 or less points 4 out of 11 games. Since then, they have been held at or under for 4 of the last 6 games. 3 out of 4 of them were at Arrowhead with 4 of their last 6 overall being at home.

With Hunt they were 9-2. Without him, they are 4-2.

I hope this is a recipe for New England beating them come Sunday.

Mahomes with Hunt - 264/391 67.5% 3628 yards 9.3YPA 37 TDs 10 Ints 117.9 Passer Rating

Mahomes without Hunt - 146/230 63.5% 1747 yards 7.6YPA 13 TDs 2 Ints 102 Passer Rating

Kansas City's offense has come back down to earth a bit since Hunt was cut. In reference; for the first 11 games, they faced defenses that gave up 16.9 PPG overall. In the past 6 games, it's dropped to 15.8th overall. So they've faced better defenses, but not by a wide margin.

Before Hunt was cut, they were held to 31 or less points 4 out of 11 games. Since then, they have been held at or under for 4 of the last 6 games. 3 out of 4 of them were at Arrowhead with 4 of their last 6 overall being at home.

Thanks for the research. Karim Hunt is a big loss. He was their Kamara.

To be fair, all the high-flying offenses have also tapered off the last six games or so. The Saints, Rams, Falcons, etc.

Last edited:

The ppg for the defenses they faced is obviously wrong.

The NFL average this season was 23.3

Damien Williams has played well since stepping into that lead RB role. I could see him as a top 10 RB next season easily.

Well NFL teams as a whole scored 2ppg less in weeks 12 through 17 than they did in weeks 1 through 11 with the noticeable change coming between week 12 where the average score was 29.4 to 18 and week 13 where the average score was 26 to 16.7

Damian Williams seems to be putting up very similar numbers under tougher conditions. He's not as explosive as Hunt but he's a tougher runner that will score more on the ground and he's also a better pass catcher who is more reliable on third down so I wouldn't read too much into the loss of Hunt.

Feels like this is more searching for a reason not to expect to face KC in a Super Bowl, than a cast iron statistical argument.

I guess someone had to come up with a replacement for all the 'one and done' talk about them.

Maybe we just for once respect that the other teams in the race are actually pretty good..?

Haha you don't think any offense would have a "small" reduction in production when they lose a top 10 (maybe even 5, depending on what you look for in a RB) in the league???

Im sure the saints would take a good hit without kamara. Even so, its impressive what the chiefs offense has been able to sustain without hunt.

The chiefs will be just fine without hunt. Damien williams is an adequate replacement. If they lose, it wont be because they didnt have hunt, it will be because the patriots were the better team that day.

The typical late November/December weather turn also plays a big role in why offenses have calmed down as of late, especially for teams that play virtually all of their games outdoors.

Also, defensed now have a bunch of games to look at to be able to see tendencies.

Feels like this is more searching for a reason not to expect to face KC in a Super Bowl, than a cast iron statistical argument.

I guess someone had to come up with a replacement for all the 'one and done' talk about them.

Maybe we just for once respect that the other teams in the race are actually pretty good..?

If it was the Patriots, we'd hear endlessly about how the AFC East is the only reason they're good... They just scrubbed the floor with a Chargers team that everyone was picking to beat them cause "they're not that good this year, the AFC East is so bad."

If Adam V makes his kicks last week, it's a 24-17 ball game going into the 4th quarter. The Chiefs did not look all that impressive against a Colts team that didn't show up at all on offense. K.C. let them linger in that game nearly all day and didn't close the door on them. Yeah they won, but they should've won by a lot more against the #6 seed in the AFC.

Losing Hunt has hurt them. He was a key player in their first match against the Pats, he's gone now.

If it was the Patriots, we'd hear endlessly about how the AFC East is the only reason they're good... They just scrubbed the floor with a Chargers team that everyone was picking to beat them cause "they're not that good this year, the AFC East is so bad."

If Adam V makes his kicks last week, it's a 24-17 ball game going into the 4th quarter. The Chiefs did not look all that impressive against a Colts team that didn't show up at all on offense. K.C. let them linger in that game nearly all day and didn't close the door on them. Yeah they won, but they should've won by a lot more against the #6 seed in the AFC.

Losing Hunt has hurt them. He was a key player in their first match against the Pats, he's gone now.
Feels like more rationalising for your preferred end result, TBH

It wasn’t close. If we’re going to talk about “luck”, Colts got lucky on the blocked punt. This game should’ve been 31-6. And the margin of victory in the divisional is meaningless. Survive and advance, this is big boy football, no excuses

Damien Williams has played well since stepping into that lead RB role. I could see him as a top 10 RB next season easily.

Damien Williams has done a good job for them and is getting more comfortable in their offense.

His last 3 games, 50 carries, 256 yards rushing and 4 TD's, 5.1 YPC.

Much more than either than either of our RB's. (just for reference, I love our backs)

It's still hard to fathom Mahomes' stats this year, freaking insane! 23 years old, second season in the league, first season starting, hell he only started one game last year. I see why CSP loved the kid so much. But I'm really looking forward to seeing how he plays next year. I mean was it just one amazing year, or will this continue?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom