Mahomes Is Proof You Don't Have to Have a Joe Burrow-Esque Prospect (1 Viewer)

Dont know if they spend a 1 on a qb this draft. Think they roll with Drew at least 1 more year. I hope Sean pays attention to 9ers running the ball instead of passing almost exclusively. Murray needs a lot more carries for us to have success. Would not mind if they trade back and look for qb next draft.

Tua. In fact, I do not think they have any intentions of moving up to #1. It is early and any internal discussions have not resulted in them contacting other teams about moving up or down. It just hasn’t happened and won’t happen until closer to the combine. Right now the team is busy looking at its own roster, continuing to evaluate prospects for the draft, compiling reports, and making decisions on its goals for the offseason. That said, I think Tua, even early, is someone who offers intrigue to them.

Tua reminds me of Mahommes.

And @BoNcHiE I was one wanting Mahommes. lol... now I'm just like millions of fans around the country wanting Burrow.
It's actually kinda weird being in the consensus for a change. I don't know if I agree with everybody, or if everybody agrees with me.

I thought your general premise is that you don't have to break the bank to find a QB you like. Finding a franchise qb is not easy but I would prefer we go the GB KC, Ravens route. KC and Baltimore didn't break he bank to grab their qb. Tua and Burrow are break the bank propositions.
Burrow? yes. Moving up from #24 to #1 is a break the bank and other things move. Potential franchise wrecker if the guy doesn't absolutely kill for years.

Tua? maybe. There's the medical issues which makes it a risk, and definitely will make teams balk if they need him to start year 1 week 1. We don't and won't need that.

Of course, we'd still have to trade up to get him, but I think it would be more like the trade for Davenport.

Kinda surprised you're not that familiar with Mahomes' college football career.

9,700 yards and 77 passing TDs over his last 2 seasons.

10,500 total yards and 99 total TDs over that span.

Dude was electric and then some. Andy Reid couldn't believe he fell into his lap.

He didn't fall into his lap. He drafted up before us to take him.

Burrow? yes. Moving up from #24 to #1 is a break the bank and other things move. Potential franchise wrecker if the guy doesn't absolutely kill for years.

Tua? maybe. There's the medical issues which makes it a risk, and definitely will make teams balk if they need him to start year 1 week 1. We don't and won't need that.

Of course, we'd still have to trade up to get him, but I think it would be more like the trade for Davenport.
I'm thinking Tua is top 5(Miami), that's a lot to move from the mid 20s. I could see a Davenport trade, however.

I thought your general premise is that you don't have to break the bank to find a QB you like. Finding a franchise qb is not easy but I would prefer we go the GB KC, Ravens route. KC and Baltimore didn't break he bank to grab their qb. Tua and Burrow are break the bank propositions.

The premise is really just that it doesn't have to be an Andrew Luck/Joe Burrow type prospect. Maybe it's a guy we move up and get at 8. Maybe it's someone we take at 24. There's multiple ways for it to work out well.

Except Mahomes was a god in his later college years.

Mahomes was a good QB in college, but he played in the Big 12, leaving a lot of people wondering if he was like every other Big 12 QB who put up ballooned numbers in that conference. Most people thought that year was garbage for QBs. He was nowhere near lauded like a Joe Burrow.

He didn’t “fall into his lap” per say. Andy did move in front of us to draft him :cry:.

I'm thinking Tua is top 5(Miami), that's a lot to move from the mid 20s. I could see a Davenport trade, however.

I guess Miami could get cold feet thinking they'd have another year of Fitzmagic one week, Fittzlepat the next, for another whole season. Giants sort of owe us. We did take their two "problem" childs off their hands. Maybe they'll make us a sweet deal.

And Miami's medical staff could always make the wrong call on Tua's shoulder... uh, I mean hip injury.

I guess Miami could get cold feet thinking they'd have another year of Fitzmagic one week, Fittzlepat the next, for another whole season. Giants sort of owe us. We did take their two "problem" childs off their hands. Maybe they'll make us a sweet deal.

And Miami's medical staff could always make the wrong call on Tua's shoulder... uh, I mean hip injury.

Only question is if Miami takes Herbert instead.

But they have to take a QB. That new staff must show progress in year 2 and sticking with a 37 year old Fitzpatrick would doom them with fans.

With basically every other QB in the coming draft being dismissed because they can't measure up to Joe Burrow, Mahomes is a good reminder that guys can have less than historic college careers and still become excellent NFL QBs. There's a lot of gap between the college game and being developed by the right coaches in the NFL.

When it was first reported that we tried to take Mahomes, most people scoffed. He was from the Big 12, didn't protect the ball that well, and looked nothing like an NFL QB in how he played the game. Yet, he's now the odds on favorite to be the best QB in the league for the next decade at least.

Keep an open mind as the draft nears. The picture perfect prospect is not always the guy who is the best NFL QB.
First He was the 2nd QB taken cause Chicago was stupid enough to take Trubisky. He didn't fall into their lap they gave up 2 1's and a 3 to pick him . and he was VERY good in collage. 76 TD passes in 2 yrs is VERY good in any league . Burrow is just way much more pro ready than any QB coming out . The biggest ? about any QB coming out is how well they process the field and how fast they read D's . not so much arm strength , most are plenty athletic enough. Burrow will be ready to play season 1 . Only ? is that he's really only done it at that level 1-2 yrs and last yr not so much

First He was the 2nd QB taken cause Chicago was stupid enough to take Trubisky. He didn't fall into their lap they gave up 2 1's and a 3 to pick him . and he was VERY good in collage. 76 TD passes in 2 yrs is VERY good in any league . Burrow is just way much more pro ready than any QB coming out . The biggest ? about any QB coming out is how well they process the field and how fast they read D's . not so much arm strength , most are plenty athletic enough. Burrow will be ready to play season 1 . Only ? is that he's really only done it at that level 1-2 yrs and last yr not so much

I feel like people are just being obtuse.

Mahomes was the 2nd QB taken in a draft that was the worst draft for QBs in about 10-15 years. A lot of people had no QBs at all going top 15. And nowhere do I say Mahomes fell into anyone's lap. That was another poster.

76 TDs over two seasons sounds really impressive, until you realize about a half dozen other QBs have done that over the last few years in the Big 12. I'm less into the draft now, but I was fully into it back in 2017 and Mahomes was never described as a can't miss prospect.

But to try to be as clear as possible, I'm not saying that Mahomes wasn't a 1st round prospect (he was) or that we may take a sub-par prospect this year (I'm not saying that). I'm just saying it doesn't have to be a Joe Burrow type, concensus #1 prospect. We could take Justin Herbert or Jacob Eason and they could possibly become great NFL QBs. You just don't know by looking at college performance (i.e. how "pro-ready" they are).

If you look at various threads in the last few weeks, any mention of Herbert, Fromm, Tua, Eason, etc. usually draws snears. In short, don't dismiss all these other prospects just because they aren't Joe Burrow or Andrew Luck coming out of college.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom