Mahomes Is Proof You Don't Have to Have a Joe Burrow-Esque Prospect (1 Viewer)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixir
Reaction score
With basically every other QB in the coming draft being dismissed because they can't measure up to Joe Burrow, Mahomes is a good reminder that guys can have less than historic college careers and still become excellent NFL QBs. There's a lot of gap between the college game and being developed by the right coaches in the NFL.

When it was first reported that we tried to take Mahomes, most people scoffed. He was from the Big 12, didn't protect the ball that well, and looked nothing like an NFL QB in how he played the game. Yet, he's now the odds on favorite to be the best QB in the league for the next decade at least.

Keep an open mind as the draft nears. The picture perfect prospect is not always the guy who is the best NFL QB.

Kinda surprised you're not that familiar with Mahomes' college football career.

9,700 yards and 77 passing TDs over his last 2 seasons.

10,500 total yards and 99 total TDs over that span.

Dude was electric and then some. Andy Reid couldn't believe he fell into his lap.

Kinda surprised you're not that familiar with Mahomes' college football career.

9,700 yards and 77 passing TDs over his last 2 seasons.

10,500 total yards and 99 total TDs over that span.

Dude was electric and then some. Andy Reid couldn't believe he fell into his lap.

Oh come on.

Dozens of QBs in the Big 12 have thrown for 30ish TDs and 10-15 INTs a year. Go look at the mock drafts on this board before Mahomes went at 10 and show me where anyone had him projected as a top 15 pick. A lot of people dismissed him as a guy with a huge arm but not an NFL game.

Could you be less condescending in your posts? And I wasn't saying Mahomes wasn't a good prospect. But he wasn't a hands down, best QB in his class prospect when he was drafted. That's undeniable.

so who do you think they are looking at besides Burrow
Tua. In fact, I do not think they have any intentions of moving up to #1. It is early and any internal discussions have not resulted in them contacting other teams about moving up or down. It just hasn’t happened and won’t happen until closer to the combine. Right now the team is busy looking at its own roster, continuing to evaluate prospects for the draft, compiling reports, and making decisions on its goals for the offseason. That said, I think Tua, even early, is someone who offers intrigue to them.

I think the biggest connection should be the fact that SP thought highly of Mahomes and would of drafted him if we had not of been jumped. So again he finds another prospect that he feels highly about and maybe, just maybe, he’s a good judge of QB’s.

so who do you think they are looking at besides Burrow

I agree with 60minutes that Tua is who we'd want if we can find a way to get him (Burrow isn't a possibility obviously).

If Tua goes to Miami, I could see us targeting Justin Herbert. Some people don't like him, but I think Payton could work wonders with a guy that has those tools. If we stand pat, the options are probably Jake Fromm or Jacob Eason at our current draft spot. Eason is more of a raw prospect but has an NFL arm and ability to make all the throws.

Wildcard could be someone like Jordan Love later in the draft, who had a down year last season.

The emphasis on offense and protecting the QBs/WRs and making it almost impossible to defend guys has turned the NFL into basically a lottery of who can get lucky with a QB in the draft. Pretty dumb, but that's where we are.

I just can’t see giving up a lot of draft capital on Tua. He won’t be able to participate in the combine or any pro days and probably still won’t be close to ready by training camps. One of Tua’s best traits was his maneuverability and quickness in the pocket to buy time and no one will have a clue if he still has it. Also, with a severe injury like that a Player can become gun shy in the pocket to avoid another hit and injury. 2nd round yeah, but 1st round or trading up for Tua? NO! Not when you have other QB’s available. I’d prefer Herbert.

I just can’t see giving up a lot of draft capital on Tua. He won’t be able to participate in the combine or any pro days and probably still won’t be close to ready by training camps. One of Tua’s best traits was his maneuverability and quickness in the pocket to buy time and no one will have a clue if he still has it. Also, with a severe injury like that a Player can become gun shy in the pocket to avoid another hit and injury. 2nd round yeah, but 1st round or trading up for Tua? NO! Not when you have other QB’s available. I’d prefer Herbert.

Those are the only reasons we might even have a shot at him. If Brees is gonna play another year anyway, we can afford to wait.

Tua is still one of the best QB prospects of the last five years to come out. Doctors will look him over with a fine tooth comb and if he's graded to make a 100% recovery, teams won't hold the injury too much against him. There's still plenty of chatter that Miami takes him at 4.

Those are the only reasons we might even have a shot at him. If Brees is gonna play another year anyway, we can afford to wait.

Tua is still one of the best QB prospects of the last five years to come out. Doctors will look him over with a fine tooth comb and if he's graded to make a 100% recovery, teams won't hold the injury too much against him. There's still plenty of chatter that Miami takes him at 4.

The Saints are not going to be able to draft high enough for Tua or Burrow. They will take an interior lineman with the #1 pick.

I could see Payton falling in love (no pun intended) with Jordan Love. Athletic, arguably the best arm talent in the draft.

If his sophomore and junior years at been flipped, he'd be a top-5 pick. But his head coach and top pass-catchers left, so he had a down year.

The Saints are not going to be able to draft high enough for Tua or Burrow. They will take an interior lineman with the #1 pick.

The problem is there is only 1 guard generally thought of as a sure fire 1st round pick. Of course the combine and workouts could change that.

I thought your general premise is that you don't have to break the bank to find a QB you like. Finding a franchise qb is not easy but I would prefer we go the GB KC, Ravens route. KC and Baltimore didn't break he bank to grab their qb. Tua and Burrow are break the bank propositions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom