Major Announcement planned for NFL in L.A. (1 Viewer)

This isn't a major announcement for the NFL it's a major announcement for Los Angeles and they HOPE will draw the NFL back.

Reposted from Shibby because it didn't turn into a link for some reason before:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8042930/Roski-plans-'major-announcement'-about-NFL-in-L.A.

Even better, if you check out the timeline, it's an announcement of a proposed amendment to an existing project that won't even be voted on until september! Hah! Gotta love press conferences.

Stadium on Los Angeles Stadium

i think the Katrina good will is over as far as the NFL is concerned, but he Saints are safe because they have operated things better and built a good team, they have players that draw national spotlight, they are a good TV draw because they have a point producing offense (most of the itme), and we are both Loved and hated by the national fans, this helps i think lol.

IMO We also have better State Government now that is Saints friendly, the Hornets also help with their team success, and the success of the NBA All Star game, on the Mavs - Hornets game last night the announcer made the comment "CP is the most popular athlete in New Orleans right now" - how many people thought RB and the Saints when that was said.

we aint the aints anymore - we can no longer be dismissed, IMO all of this helps get a long term deal done because it leads to state wide legislative support for a new deal. that has always been an issue, complete state wide governmental support.

wasnt there a rumor last year that the colts were the most likely to relocate for some reason?

new stadium of which they are building now.

ive heard

Jacksonville
San Diego
New Orleans
Buffalo
Raiders
Colts
Vikes

all rumored to be a team of relocation over the last few yrs, we all know what the Saints went through and we are still holding strong fan base wise, Suite sells wise. The owner has a sweet deal and the amount of money the state is lacking is minimal when discussing the monetary numbers of State gov and NFL franchises - a new deal with half the subsides paid would still be a better deal for the Benson's compared to the risk of failing elsewhere.

Jacksonville cant sell out, Buffalo is going BI-City, Raiders probably own their own U-haul franchise they way the move around.

im more worried about the secondary than relocation.

new stadium of which they are building now.

ive heard

Jacksonville
San Diego
New Orleans
Buffalo
Raiders
Colts
Vikes

all rumored to be a team of relocation over the last few yrs, we all know what the Saints went through and we are still holding strong fan base wise, Suite sells wise. The owner has a sweet deal and the amount of money the state is lacking is minimal when discussing the monetary numbers of State gov and NFL franchises - a new deal with half the subsides paid would still be a better deal for the Benson's compared to the risk of failing elsewhere.

Jacksonville cant sell out, Buffalo is going BI-City, Raiders probably own their own U-haul franchise they way the move around.

im more worried about the secondary than relocation.

I just hope out of those teams that the raiders stay away.

Living in LA i think that a NFL team would be success full but i kinda wish we got a expansion team, a team that is our own. And hopefully they wont turn in to the Raiders part 2.

The fact that the new stadium would be alot easier to get to then the coliseum and also isn't in the crappiest part of L.A. would be really nice.

Watching the video clip from on the website is very sweet and goes to show you that money can buy/build anything! And we all know that Benson is about a $$$ so it wouldn't shock me to see him pull something in the near future to try and bind our hands with the fear of him relocating. Would we get a Cleveland deal to say keep our name, colors, etc.? Who knows! IMO the NFL is full! Relocating a team would be the smartest move but sad seeing a city lose it's team! Let's hope that if this deal does go through and a team other than the Saints moves to L.A., that Reggie and Drew give us a SB before their contracts are up and they might want to go home to Cali!

California Subsidy for NFL Stadium is Blocked (LA Times headline)

Headline in this morning's LA Times:

California Subsidy for NFL Stadium is Blocked

State lawmakers balk at a plan to use tax money to lure a team to a proposed site in the City of Industry.

April 17, 2008 SACRAMENTO -- Faced with angry opposition from Los Angeles Country supervisors, state lawmakers Wednesday sidelined an effort by the city of Industry to get millions of dollars in tax subsidies that could help lure a National Football league team back to the area. Backed by developer Ed Roski Jr., who wants to build a football stadium on 600 vacant acres he owns in Industry, the city had asked for power to divert $829 million in county property tax revenue from basic government services to subsidize unnamed development projects. But county officials, complaining that much of the money would come from their already tight budget, blitzed state lawmakers with letters and phone calls demanding that they vote against the proposal. Minutes before its first hearing, Senate Majority Leader Gloria Romero (D-Los Angeles), who had gutted an unrelated bill of its contents and replaced it with Industry's bid, pulled the proposal from consideration. Her Senate district includes Industry, home to 804 people.

That the bill is being supported at the same time the NFL stadium is being proposed is "coincidental in timing and unrelated in purpose," said John Semcken, a vice president of Roski's Majestic Realty.

More (and a map) at http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-indust17apr17,0,6872059.story

There is a massive budget deficit in California; the Governator cut taxes when he took office and now proposes to cut something like $4 BILLION from the K-12 public school budget (which supposedly means lay offs of up to a QUARTER of the teachers), among other cuts. Since the L.A. area has steadily resisted subsidies to the NFL in good times, right now would seem even more doubtful. But ya never know.

I think it's time for expansion again. The quality of talent in college (and therefore the NFL) had risen dramatically in the past decade and has finally caught up too, and is starting to exceed, available NFL roster space. Good players who I believe can play in the NFL are having trouble securing roster spots now.

It's time to add some more teams.

Watching the video clip from on the website is very sweet and goes to show you that money can buy/build anything! And we all know that Benson is about a $$$ so it wouldn't shock me to see him pull something in the near future to try and bind our hands with the fear of him relocating. Would we get a Cleveland deal to say keep our name, colors, etc.? Who knows! IMO the NFL is full! Relocating a team would be the smartest move but sad seeing a city lose it's team! Let's hope that if this deal does go through and a team other than the Saints moves to L.A., that Reggie and Drew give us a SB before their contracts are up and they might want to go home to Cali!

Sorry dude, but I don't think that's gonna happen. Meaning the Saints are not going to LA. NFL owners are only interested in making money not building new stadiums, period.

I guess having a sellout in the pass two years and having a waiting list for 30,000 season tickets is not enough to keep the Saints here. Oh yeah plus a renovated SuperDome that can be furnished to accomodate all the modern facilities that the New stadiums have but with less cost.

NFL owners want more money in their pockets and not brand new stadiums.

Sign --- why do I even bother...

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by bigdub81
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Sorry dude, but I don't think that's gonna happen. Meaning the Saints are not going to LA. NFL owners are only interested in making money not building new stadiums, period.

I guess having a sellout in the pass two years and having a waiting list for 30,000 season tickets is not enough to keep the Saints here. Oh yeah plus a renovated SuperDome that can be furnished to accomodate all the modern facilities that the New stadiums have but with less cost.

NFL owners want more money in their pockets and not brand new stadiums.

Sign --- why do I even bother...

Chill tarusman28, it was a joke! I'm a rabid Saints fan and really wouldn't care who moved to LA outside of the Saints! And yes I am a part of that sellout crowd and will continue to be. Since going to the sportsman expo in the dome a few weeks ago, I can't wait to plant my cheeks in them cumfy looking new charcoal colored seats we got with the golden tip steps leading to them. The majority of the 200 level was completed but I hope that the 100 & 300 sections are done in time for the season?

The Rams sold out games for 40 years, including the 100,000 seat Coliseum.

The Rams played in a horrific baseball only stadium that had an ugly slab of concrete erected to enclose the stadium. It was an awful venue to watch a football game. Despite that, the Rams sold out Anaheim for 15 years before Georgia the ***** ran the franchise into the ground in order to move it back to her hometown (St. Louis) as the City of St. Louis dumped tens of millions of public dollars into her purse as a "bribe".

It's a myth that LA doesn't and won't support the NFL. The Rams led the NFL in attendance for decades.

I think it will be the Jags moving here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom