Major fire at Notre Dame Cathedral (Paris) (2 Viewers)

DoubleSaint

-Marshon23-
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Even if it can be rebuilt, it'll never have the same character. So sad.
We live in a time that an empty room or a blank canvas can be considered art.

And modern architecture is more about who can build the tallest glass fronted building.

Sadly any attempts to recreate the spire will be terrible in comparison.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Man, I was just there a few weeks ago, it is unbelievable to think it is pretty much gone. I'm no fan of the Catholic church or organized religion period but that was a truly incredible historic place, I was so lucky to be able to see it when I did....

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
FWIW, my twitter feed is suggesting that the most priceless relics and art works seem to have been saved.
According to my BIL and sister (who live an hour or so from Paris) alot of the art work had already been removed before the renovations started, so that is indeed, good news.

Glad to hear the structure and north tower was saved, hope to hear more positive news in the coming hours....

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
With such extensive damage, will they even be able to tell whether this was accidental or intentional?

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
With such extensive damage, will they even be able to tell whether this was accidental or intentional?
NBC is reporting that they have already determined that it was not arson or terrorist related. So perhaps they already know that there was an accident with the reconstruction.

400 firefighters worked on the fire & they are saying that the priceless stained glass windows were saved.

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
NBC is reporting that they have already determined that it was not arson or terrorist related. So perhaps they already know that there was an accident with the reconstruction.

400 firefighters worked on the fire & they are saying that the priceless stained glass windows were saved.
I've been worried about the rose window in particular. I read that only one of the main panels was destroyed.

T.P.

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've been worried about the rose window in particular. I read that only one of the main panels was destroyed.

The rubble that you see at the base of the alter..People are speculating that is part of the steeple that fell in the church..People that have been there could this be true?

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
We live in a time that an empty room or a blank canvas can be considered art.

And modern architecture is more about who can build the tallest glass fronted building.

Sadly any attempts to recreate the spire will be terrible in comparison.
It depends on who is doing the designing and what their purpose in life and art are. If they are serving God and participating in art for the sake of communicating beauty that transcends human scope, a taste of heaven, then there is no limit to what is possible. If it's an artist who seeks to communicate deconstruction, sarcasm, and ego, well...

Reaction score
It depends on who is doing the designing and what their purpose in life and art are. If they are serving God and participating in art for the sake of communicating beauty that transcends human scope, a taste of heaven, then there is no limit to what is possible. If it's an artist who seeks to communicate deconstruction, sarcasm, and ego, well...
I love how people can intuit the outcome of something when it hasn't even happened yet.

I wonder how much beauty they never see because it's been prejudged and never has a chance.

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
Very well said and this doesn't just speak for Christians it even religion. When someone creates something for the good of mankind serving a higher purpose than his or her own gain then truly wonderful and remarkable things can be done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom