Major fire at Notre Dame Cathedral (Paris) (1 Viewer)

I heard a French reporter on the radio saying that it’s a national tragedy and everyone is just either in tears or just sitting there in total shock at the destruction.

I think something like this is more damaging to a collective consciousness even than loss of life (at least up to a point - unless it's someeone you directly know)). Life is transient anyway, but things like this are supposed to be "permanent". If you listed the most culturally significant manmade structures on earth, I doubt you'd get far before hitting ND. How awful. What a massive loss.

In general, this is a horrific event. Having been in Paris for 2 and a half weeks last fall and spending a great deal of time in and around the Cathedral, it is hitting me very hard. Can only imagine what the community in Paris must be feeling.

I know - it’s a strange feeling to be so inexplicably emotional. I think that it’s just such a iconic piece of Western civilization, it’s sort of just part of us all in some subtle way.

Beauty is part of reality. And we tend to recognize it when we see it. It's a devastating loss to see such a blessing be damaged in this way. I'm nearly speechless yet somehow not surprised. Regardless of what is determined to be the cause of the fire, it is not without analogy to the state of the Church and culture in general. I'm terribly sad but grateful for it having been there in the first place. It's crazy that it's survived historic threat but succumbs to this.

Here's a crumby picture I took in 2006.

If it was some kind of contractor negligence, I can’t imagine what that person or those people must feel like right now. I think I read that there were no significant injuries so that’s good.

If it was some kind of contractor negligence, I can’t imagine what that person or those people must feel like right now. I think I read that there were no significant injuries so that’s good.

What sorta weird is that I also visited St Sulpice on another trip to paris a handful of years later. Someone set a fire in it earlier this year. Luckily the damage was not extensive.

What sorta weird is that I also visited St Sulpice on another trip to paris a handful of years later. Someone set a fire in it earlier this year. Luckily the damage was not extensive.
"Somebody"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom