Major fire at Notre Dame Cathedral (Paris) (1 Viewer)

Hard to believe they saved anything looking at that latest picture. It’s surely all gone?

Tragic.

I wasn’t going to visit when I went to Paris but we had walked across the entire city to get to the Louvre only to find out it was the only day of the week it’s closed. So we went to Notre Dame instead as it was close by.

People will say rebuild it, but you can’t rebuild history. To put it into perspective, building work started 300 years before Columbus discovered your country. You can’t replicate that.

This too shall pass. What can be salvaged will be. 1000 years from now, people will marvel at the old things added after the great fire of 2019 and the even older things salvaged. The integration of new and old will be admired and it will be a symbol of mankind's struggle to combat the inevitable entropy of the universe.

Mourn if you want. Just know that time will roll on, progress will happen, and something possibly better will be resurrected from the ashes.

#perspective

Perhaps Catholics will see this as a sign that it is past time that we come together in the faith.

This is such terrible news.

I reluctantly took an art history class in my undergrad, and we spent a good amount of time on architecture, and specifically Notre Dame. It was fascinating to look at the detail that went into the architecture, and it was my favorite part of the entire course.

Even if it can be rebuilt, it'll never have the same character. So sad.

Even if it can be rebuilt, it'll never have the same character. So sad.
We live in a time that an empty room or a blank canvas can be considered art.

And modern architecture is more about who can build the tallest glass fronted building.

Sadly any attempts to recreate the spire will be terrible in comparison.

Man, I was just there a few weeks ago, it is unbelievable to think it is pretty much gone. I'm no fan of the Catholic church or organized religion period but that was a truly incredible historic place, I was so lucky to be able to see it when I did....

FWIW, my twitter feed is suggesting that the most priceless relics and art works seem to have been saved.

According to my BIL and sister (who live an hour or so from Paris) alot of the art work had already been removed before the renovations started, so that is indeed, good news.

Glad to hear the structure and north tower was saved, hope to hear more positive news in the coming hours....

With such extensive damage, will they even be able to tell whether this was accidental or intentional?

With such extensive damage, will they even be able to tell whether this was accidental or intentional?

NBC is reporting that they have already determined that it was not arson or terrorist related. So perhaps they already know that there was an accident with the reconstruction.

400 firefighters worked on the fire & they are saying that the priceless stained glass windows were saved.

NBC is reporting that they have already determined that it was not arson or terrorist related. So perhaps they already know that there was an accident with the reconstruction.

400 firefighters worked on the fire & they are saying that the priceless stained glass windows were saved.

I've been worried about the rose window in particular. I read that only one of the main panels was destroyed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom