Major fire at Notre Dame Cathedral (Paris) (3 Viewers)

I simply value the history, the architecture and culture of a building like that. I mean it is simply an irreplaceable part of western culture. The artifacts that are in it, the part of the cross, the crown of thorns and such, while I’m not Catholic, I realize the massive importance for those who are and am tremendously happy that they were saved

I’m hoping as the stone cools and retains its strength over the course of the next few days. If that happens, then there shouldn’t be any great problems with rebuilding the roof and spire. Of course the structure materials will have to change as there isn’t anywhere on earth with 400 year old oak trees in that number to rebuild with authenticity. However, if done right it can return to greatness rather quickly I assume. Besides the wood (depending on how authenticc they want to be) I’m assuming large lead panels will be pretty difficult to source these days.

Tough to see all of the damage, but it looks like there's enough left to rebuild around. I'm surprised the windows survived it. I would have thought the heat from the fire would be too much and shatter them. The stained glass oval looks amazing.

Believe it or not that will probably be the most difficult part of the restoration. I know a guy who does stained glass work (certainly nothing on this scale) but the pieces of glass are held together with lead. I’m sure that even though the windows are still there, that the detail work to repair and solidify any lead joints will take craftsmen years and years to redo.

Was also just reading in the New York Post that there are 3 holes in the stone roof. Where the base of the spire was, then two more towards the front towers. While they will need immediate stabilization to make sure there is no further damage, the rest of the building is structurally sound.

Last edited:
is this going to be another steve bartman episode? or will they not release the person/people name who caused the fire?

is this going to be another steve bartman episode? or will they not release the person/people name who caused the fire?

I doubt in this situation the names will be released. From what I have been reading (bored in hotel waiting for wife to get done) it doesn’t seem like there was any active work at the time going on. It seems at this point that something was smoldering, it set off an alarm, the area was checked out and nothing was found, then 23 min later a second alarm sounded and that’s when the fire was apparent. So it’s not even seeming that it was anything with an immediate mistake sort of thing.

Assassin's Creed to the potential rescue?

https://www.gamebyte.com/assassins-...eYlVbQbHlAJiXKFhmAXNyx_SNWDEosKcTRitClEiHKQlk

Unity artist Caroline Miousse, spoke to The Verge a few years ago about the creation of the cathedral in the game.

The Verge wrote: “In the case of the Notre Dame, easily the biggest structure in the game, it meant recreating a version of the cathedral that didn’t actually exist at the time.

“Level artist Miousse spent literally years fussing over the details of the building. She pored over photos to get the architecture just right, and worked with texture artists to make sure that each brick was as it should be.”

I'll bet never in the history of the planet has the phrase 'sacre bleu' been uttered more times.

If the works of art, etc weren't on display--for free, I might add--in these churches, they'd be locked away in some rich guy's home. Having these priceless works of religious art allows them to be shared with all who walk through the door. This way, even the poorest can share in the beauty of these works.

Great point. Thank you!

Yes, I learned about all of above just a few weeks ago as we were visiting Paris, my BIL has learned alot about the city, the sites and the history and facts all around them.

Like I said before not a fan of the Catholic Church or organized religion in general as I think on a macro scale they do more harm than good....but I'm a huge fan of history and art and it is good news that Salma Hayek's husband and family are making this generous donation......

I read about this last night. Salma Hayek, gorgeous & a great actress, has a stellar husband & FIL. They stepped up to plate in no time flat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom