Major League Beasball 2K8 Vid.....Full 9 innings (1 Viewer)

<embed id="mymovie" width="432" height="355" flashvars="paramsURI=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egamespot%2Ecom%2Fpages%2Fvideo%5Fplayer%2Fproteus%5Fxml%2Ephp%3Fadseg%3D776606%26adgrp%3D11543%26sid%3D6187003%26pid%3D944239%26mb%3D%26onid%3D%26nc%3D1204405949109%26embedded%3D1%26showWatermark%3D0%26autoPlay%3D0" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" name="mymovie" src="http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/media_player/proteus/gs/proteus_embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

I read the game has minor leagues can you play with the teams such as the Zephyrs?

I'm curious about that too. I'm going to get a baseball game, but I would love to have one with a full minor league system that you can play like the now dead MVP Baseball. So, if either 2K8 or MLB The Show has it and the other doesn't, it makes my decision easy. Does anyone know? I've looked at the websites for the games and the reviews and there is no info on this question.

I'm curious about that too. I'm going to get a baseball game, but I would love to have one with a full minor league system that you can play like the now dead MVP Baseball. So, if either 2K8 or MLB The Show has it and the other doesn't, it makes my decision easy. Does anyone know? I've looked at the websites for the games and the reviews and there is no info on this question.

do a search for it on Gamefaqs.com

I read the game has minor leagues can you play with the teams such as the Zephyrs?

I did some research and in 2K8 you can play as the minor league teams. There are 90 minor league teams, 15 real minor league ballparks and 4 generic ballparks. Apparently in franchise mode you can play as your MLB team and your 3 minor league affiliates.

This will probably make me get 2K8 instead of MLB The Show. Apparently The Show does not have the minor league system. I think The Show probably looks better, but I find that a MLB game without the minor league system is just hollow.

I did some research and in 2K8 you can play as the minor league teams. There are 90 minor league teams, 15 real minor league ballparks and 4 generic ballparks. Apparently in franchise mode you can play as your MLB team and your 3 minor league affiliates.

This will probably make me get 2K8 instead of MLB The Show. Apparently The Show does not have the minor league system. I think The Show probably looks better, but I find that a MLB game without the minor league system is just hollow.

Are you talking about The Show for PS2 or PS3? Because I've read that it does have the minors on the PS3.

Are you talking about The Show for PS2 or PS3? Because I've read that it does have the minors on the PS3.

I was talking about the PS3 version, but I'm not sure that I am right. I found a post on a board at gamefaqs.com that said that The Show does not have the minors, at least it does not have a minor league system that you can play other than in the Road to The Show. But, thinking about it, I'm not sure that they specified that it was the PS3 version.

I do know that 2K8 has it since there is an article on ign confirming it. I guess I'll have to do some more research.

I'm a Mets fan so I usually play with them. I have a friend that became a "life long" Red Sox fan after they won the World Series a few years ago. We all remember him pulling for the Yankee's when they played the Diamondbacks in the WS and no "life long" Red Sox fan would ever cheer the Yankee's in anything. So we all chip in and buy him a hat of whatever team won the last World Series for his birthday in March. That way he can become a "life long" fan of the defending champs every year. We should look into getting a Saints Report MLB 2K8 online league going.

Have any of you ever thrown a "No hitter"?

The closest I've ever got to one was several years ago on Triple Play Baseball.
I got to the 8th and gave up a HR.

i came close in 2k6 with schilling, i think....i gave up a hit with one out in the ninth....seriously, i was so mad, i didn't play the game again for a week.......:mad:

MVP 05. Pedro Martinez over the Yankees. What a glorious day that was. That was the first time I ever felt like I achieved a real accomplishment in a video game. :hihi:

There was another time I got into about the 8th inning with a no-no with Schilling. The player bunted for a hit. Cheapest way to kill a no hitter I have ever seen. I promptly picked him off and almost shattered my controller.:hihi:

I have thrown quite a few no hitters never on the hardest lvl tho. I think its fairly easy in the past games, I usually play on All Star one below the hardest level. A lot of people I know never throw balls, they like every pitch to be a strike and really never aim outside the zone. If you are similar to that and don't try to pitch around guys and just throw fire all game in the strike zone than I agree its very hard getting a no hitter throwing only strikes. But the way I pitch, I throw balls outta the zone all the time, if I go in a full count and throw say 7 pitches, only 2 will be hitable in the strike zone. Everything else is a ball that hopefully they swing at an miss or foul it off at best.. either way its a strike.

I think the batters on all star are to easy, and I do great pitching on Legend (tho have never thrown a no hitter) don't play enough on that level because I can't hit at all and always lose. There isn't a happy medium, dominate thier batters, and hit well. Or pitch well and get dominated by thier pitchers. I'd rather win so I chose the first one.

Anyways, came back in here to say I got 2K8 for the 360 this afternoon and i am loving the game. But it will take some getting used to because the gameplay is alot different on total control. I may actually have to shut some of it off and go classic and try and learn one thing at a time because its almost to much different to learn all at once. I am getting killed by the Braves right now lol. The game looks great and its gonna be so much fun when I get this all down. Fielding is updated, no more just pressing "Y" and the ball going to 2nd. You Press Up on the right analog stick for 2nd, and a powermeter will show up and you throw that way (get it in green, better throw) Sounds weird but the way they do it its seemless in the game play, its like getting a ball and throwing it.... this has cost me a few runs so far today, but I like it. The pitching is kinda tough IMO, You have to do differnt stuff, like half circles etc. for a curveball and how smooth you do this is key, but you also have the meter similar to last years going so you have to time the movement with the meter and can't be to fast so its not just getting the motion right its a little more to it with the timing, very tricky but looks like it will be alotta fun when I get the hang of it a little better. I also haven't been the same pitcher twice yet and all thier timings are different so that could be hampering me some. Bu I like it much better than aim the ball with left stick, press and hold X and watch what happens. Much more to it, makes it a little more fun. Swing stick was tweaked a little but nothing major on that. Contact swing is the same, Power swing, pull back and push up instead of just releasing it etc. Pretty much the same just little tweaks with that.

Good thing is, you can turn off all the new features, the new fielding etc and go back to the old if its something you not into, can have pitching same as 06 with the pin point, or same as 07 with the break point, or you can do the new style of total control. I like that they let you toggle them yourself tho, so if your not digging the new style, you can go back to the style that you enjoy, or mix match them with the new pitching, but old fielding, with last year swing stick and vice versa.

I actually think I am gonna shut the fielding off (well back to last years) and get this pitching down, I am getting killed right now with them both on. Ground balls I do get I press "B" to throw to first and its "right" on the right analog. To many things going threw my head just throwing the ball right now to remember that.

All in all I like it, if you liked 2k7, 2k8 is that but better, and seeing how you can switch the fielding/batting/pitching to anyway former version for whatever platform the new controls aren't something that should make you shy away from this game.

Oh and the soundtrack stinks!! And I also like with 2k games the live update bar on the screen, I haven't played a 2K game in awhile made me forget about the live real life updates that tick on the screen, but like a normal game would do. Mainly because I got to see flash by while getting killed in the game.

"NBA: Celtics sign veteran point guard Sam Cassell" Who happens to be my favorite player, going to my favorite team. (in that sport that is) Good Stuff!!

Also, my Brother who lives in the apt. below me just got The Show for his PS3 so once I pull myself away from this game, I will go play him in a game or 2 and chime in on that one. (unless someone else has it and post about it and I feel the same as them)

Last edited:
Quincy, I don't know if you've played Franchise mode yet, but how indepth is the minor league system? Do you actually develop players down there or is it basically another roster to stock with fringe MLB players with a few prospects here and there?

Oh and they're supposed to have 18 minor league stadiums and a few more generic ones. Any chance Zephyr field made the cut?

Last edited:
I am in a franchise right now with the pirates (thus the Braves beating me up, that was first series) I am a Sox fan but not really much to build there. I like putting the teams together so I am on the Pirates and i;m already cracking in to the Minors. I am not sure what you consider in depth or what your looking for specifically, but it appears it is about as in depth as you want it to be, or nothing at all if you don;t wanna deal with that. At the main screen in franchise mode you press the left or right trigger and you will control either the MLB, aaa, aa, a team and you can control any of them, play with any of them, play every game for them. You are responsible for filling all the rosters, you are responsible for all the rotations, the linups, calling guys up sending them down all that stuff. Or you can just put on auto manage minors and just play you MLB. You can not know you even have a minors, or you can play game say 54 for your AA team if you felt like it. The rookie classes (well only one year in) seemed a little weak, it had one guy as an 85 than littered with a few mid 70s and not much after the first round for 70 rated players so you will have to build these guys up it seems (kinda like real life) SO you can get in depth with the minors, from playing any and all the games, to making sure that first round pick is on the right track by checking his stats and his progress. You can set the rosters for the minors yourself, so if you draft a guy and want him as a closer and they put him at Setup or you have a young bat and you want him batting 3rd in you AA lineup you can go in and adjust the line up or rotation. All the team names appear to be correct (tho I have to admit I wouldn't know the Rockies AAA team if it hit me in the face so they could be lying about that) But the Sox are all in order correct names, correct fields etc., I think its has what you would be looking for in a minors. I gotta be honest I haven't gotten to in depth with it myself, but I did call up a few.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom