Major League Beasball 2K8 Vid.....Full 9 innings (1 Viewer)

No Problem Rob.

Few other things I have picked up... i'm like 7 games in now so i'm a pro.

The pitching isn;t as hard as I thought, It just took a game or 5 to get it down. i think I made it out to be a little tougher than it actually is.

The thing I like is no 2 pitches are the same, the slightest bit of movement or difference in the pitch, there will be that slight difference in the in game pitch which I like because its more life like. Also, if your playing another person they can't read the pitch as easy, you can aim the same spot throw it there but there will be a little difference in the pitch depending on the way you execute the quarter circle for your curveball.

If you get it dead on everytime and mimic the exact same patern. I suppose you can get it perfect and to the same spot, but they actually show you the pattern your last pitch was and you will see if you play no movement you do is ever the same. I really like it, give it a game or so before ya switch.

I also realised, I wasn't as bad at pitching as I thought and was better than I thought at the game. Turns out, the Pirates are really awful! Don't start a franchise with them unlees your a fan of them, or are in for the LOOOONNNNNNGGGG haul. I like the old school uni's (yeah the ugly killer b ones) So thats why I pick them sometimes. Josh Beckett is much much much better than Ian Snell. (no offense Pirates fans, or Ian Snell)

Fielding got easier as well, just remember hold L Trigger to hit the cut off man. Slipped my mind a few times, that one button stuff dosen't work anymore. Hold LT and throw it to the base ya want (well anywhere really) and the cutoff man will cut off the throw, better the throw to the base the runner is going, closer the cutoff man is to the base and better chance of getting them out. Again I like that, Just takes a little getting used to.

One big negative, and it seems to be all baseball games every year. The game comes out so early that it means the finished product was probably packaged a month ago. The rosters aren't up to date. Johan is still on the Twins!!! That was my biggest complaint, I will see how up to date The Show is later but I bet its the same. They have most of the guys correct, just the most recent stuff, I know Sean casey is a FA and is a Redsox and Bartolo Colon is a Redsox both are FA's in the game. But those were more recent (well the Colon one) Stuff that happened awhile ago Glavine back to the braves, Dontrell and Cabrera on the tigers is all correct. But come on Johan to the Twins... WTH?? That should have been tweaked IMO that's a big one to not squeak in. But I figure it won't be long for an online update on the roster tho, so I still say this game is a BUY!!

I also liked just the natural progression you see in the games graphics year after year with these next gen consoles, the game isn't a whole lot different than past games. But the way the jersey's move in the wind, and the crowds in the stands, and the flawless stadiums (other than the Giant 2K logos they flash on them) and the backround stuff like that is all much improved from previous years.

EDIT::: There is already a roster update to anyone with live, Gold or silver dosen't matter. Its the current roster as of 02/29/08 so Johan and the Others I mentioned as well as everyone else is where they need to be, as long as you have live hooked up (paid version or not dosen't matter) Still bites for the ones without live tho that have to do it buy themselves. Not sure about PS3 users, but I am pretty sure its the same its a 2K company update so it should be.

Last edited:
Oh and they're supposed to have 18 minor league stadiums and a few more generic ones. Any chance Zephyr field made the cut?

Unfortunatly that stadium did not make it in the game. You can be the Zephyr's but thier field in not avaible to play in. You play in a generic. But if the team is in the game (which they are) BTY I had no clue the Mets farm team was in New Orleans, but you learn something new everyday. But I have seen stadium upgrades and downlaods in the past so maybe they will have an update for ya in the future. But on the bright side, you can demote Jose Reyes to the Zephyr's, don't think he will be happy... but you will be.

Have any of you ever thrown a "No hitter"?

The closest I've ever got to one was several years ago on Triple Play Baseball.
I got to the 8th and gave up a HR.

I threw one last year in MLB 2K7 with Tom Glavine. I kept getting 8 no-hit innings and then I finally did it. My new goal is to get over 20 strike outs in one game with 1 pitcher.

SQ's The show review.

I will start off by letting ya'll know I was a big fan of 2K before I played this so I was looking for some new features during the game play. 2k was completely revamped with options to back track if you didn;t like the new direction of the gameplay.

The show 08, is the show 07 with a new cover as far as game play goes IMO. Its still the same pitching, you pickj a pitch with "x" aim with left analog and pitch. Nothing new same as all the years past, pretty much the same thing. Fielding again same thing, "O" was first, "X" was home etc. same as all the other before it. Baserunning was hard an unresponsive at times. I would lace double into the gap and would press L1 like crazy and the players would just hold up at first. I looked in the book and it was R1 to advance the runners (seemed weird that usually to go back, but I did it anyways) And R1 was to go back, so I have no clue how to advace bases in the game, but I had a few doubles turned singles because the baserunning was bad in that game. Again, not saying that this was bad (well the base running was IMO) But its nothing new, you better off playing your Show 07 and waiting a few for this price to drop. Its not like a new game or anything as far as gameplay goes, its a new cover with updated rosters.

Also the rosters had the same problem as 2k8, all the recent moves were not in the game (Johan is still a twin) But I expected that as I typed in the 2k review. Seems all baseball games are like this every year. My bro didn't have his comp hooked up so I couldn't check for the home updates, but I am sure they will have one for 2/29/08 much like live has up for 2k8 for that date.

I also did not like the guess pitch feature they did add to the game play. It was just bad, you can guess the pitchers pitch and if you guess it right, it a meatball right over the middle, you can't control location or anything, you just toss it to them to get it crushed. I hated that, playing 2 player it was not fun, especially when you get into the bullpen and guys have 2 and 3 pitches. A guy with 3 pitches, you can guess it fairly easily 33 percent chance of getting a meatball thrown to ya, and even if you guess wrong you can eliminate that pitch as an option and you can guess between the remaning 2 (50 percent chance of that) Needless to say, it made hitting way way to easy in an already easy hitting game. the hitting is the typical "x for normal swing" "[ ]" for power swing. Nothing ground breaking. It was just the same old press one button system.

The graphics were better than last year, but let me just say neither looks as good in the screens as it does in the game. I don't see to much difference in my brother game, and mine. Also he has a high def t.v. My t.v. is 10 years old with no high def and the games looked relativly the same. during game play. The Show had better looking graphics with the cut videos tho, like guys walking to the plate etc, but i'd go as far as to say it was worse than 2k8 during game play. I mean watcing David Ortiz walk up to the plate looks great, watching him bat and the fielding etc. Nothing special.

They do have minor league systems in the Show, a select few Minors stadiums, most play in generics but thats understandable, hopefully they come out with updates with stadium downloads in the future for more teams.

Things I like and though were fun, if you guys remember the superstar mode in madden, they have one now in this game. It looked fun, I didn;t get to far into it, but I made a guy you get drafted by a team, and immidatly go to thier double AA team. I was a pitcher so it would simulate the batters for me all you had to do it pitch, its a good feature (the best thing the added IMO) I liked how you can interact with the coaching staff if you think you should be brought up, I like how they will tell you no if your not ready. This was a fun little aspect, altho you don't really have any control over you team you just control your one player so if you traded/demoted etc you don;t have much say, if they wanna pull you in the 6th you don't have much say. If you get shelled they will take you out in the 2nd. I liked this feature and I can see it giving some of us a few hours of solid playing in this mode alone.

All in all, I though it was a very good game, not great or groundbreaking. its not gonna adavance the baseball gen of games, or even push the envelope. Its pretty much the same as past games. I would have really liked to see a game play system, or at least some aspects updated, especially since I was playing 2k8 all afternoon and they really expanded every aspect of the game play, but to keep it safe allowed you to go back to any past version as well.

If your a fan of this series, loved the past game play and just wanted an updated version of The Show 07, than its a buy for you because that exactly what it is. If you were tired of the same old baseball engine and really hoped they would go all out on one of these next gen consoles and put out a new product, not just last year game in a different case 2K8 is by far and large the way to go.

Side note, after me an my brother played the Show for about 3 hours, we came back to my apt. and played a game of 2K8. He is selling his today to a friend that wants the show, and he is buying 2K8 tonight.

Last edited:
Side note, after me an my brother played the Show for about 3 hours, we came back to my apt. and played a game of 2K8. He is selling his today to a friend that wants the show, and he is buying 2K8 tonight.

Interesting, you and your brother are the first reviews I've seen that liked 2K8 over The Show. In fact, yours is the first review I have seen that said that the 08 version is not a big improvement over the 07 version. I know Ign basically blasted 2K8 and made The Show an Editor's Choice. I guess some people just like different things and pay attention to different things.

I played The Show demo last night. I played 6 innings and I really like The Show. I thought the controls were great. I've heard about the new 2K8 controls and they just seem way too complicated to be fun and I'm not sure how they are more realistic. It was much better than 2K6 which was the last console baseball game I played. Of course, I haven't played 2K8 so I can't really compare.

Interesting, you and your brother are the first reviews I've seen that liked 2K8 over The Show. In fact, yours is the first review I have seen that said that the 08 version is not a big improvement over the 07 version. I know Ign basically blasted 2K8 and made The Show an Editor's Choice. I guess some people just like different things and pay attention to different things.

I played The Show demo last night. I played 6 innings and I really like The Show. I thought the controls were great. I've heard about the new 2K8 controls and they just seem way too complicated to be fun and I'm not sure how they are more realistic. It was much better than 2K6 which was the last console baseball game I played. Of course, I haven't played 2K8 so I can't really compare.

I just think while both are great games, the selling point to me is the new engine in 2k8 and controls, it actually feels like a new game. Its clearly not 2k7 with a new cover. Which most sports title are now days baseball or not.

I think the controls were very confusing to me at first because I was so used to the older versions. But the way they do it, really seemless in the gameplay. No freeze or lag or slow down. It flows perfect with all the new controls. And the beauty is you can shut any of them off and go back to the 2k7 or the show style of one button play if you like. I personally think the stick was something new and good for baseball games. It was really something different and after playing the same game with minor improvements for the past 6 - 8 years it was a welcomed change IMO. The Show didn't do that IMO, it was same engine, same game play and basicly last years game with updates graphics. It looks to me like they put most of thier time into the graphics for guys like walking to the plate going to thier at bat, rather than fix anything in game. Its nice to look at the first game or 2, but if you like me after awhile its gets old and I just press A and skip it and get to my at bat, them walking to the plate is nice at first glance, but its like the guys running out of the tunnel in madden, you watch it a few times than skip it every time after that novelty of that wears off. The in game stuff was all very very much the same.

I liked last years game, and both games are improved over last year, but 2K finally did something different and tried pushing the envelope for this genre. I don;t think MLB was able to do this with thier current product "the Show 08"

Again what it boiled down to for me, and subsequently my brother. We were looking for a new gameplay experiance. Again if you liked the show 07 and were perfectly content with that, and didn't want to much tweaked but just slight graphical updates and the same game play, its a great buy, if you don't like change and just like your baseball games similar, its a great game.

But if you are like me and wanted a brand new game play experiance for these next gen consoles I think 2k achieves that and its something you should try. I guess it depends what you are looking for with your next purchase, a little of the same old but with better graphics, or a new baseball gaming experiance (and even still, 2K8 allows you to use any control or aspect from them that you want. So if you are confused at the begining I know I was a little overwhelmed in the begning, I even stated in my 2k review it was almost to much updated, but in the long run that what I wanted) I was able to switch fielding to the old way, and the pitching the new way and learn one at a time. I really liked how they let me do that and mix match styles of gameplay to lessen the learning curve.

The show to me was like every other baseball game, 2K8 to me was one of a kind, and still has every baseball games options in it, if thats your style. I think if your a fan of one series or the other grab the game you like best they both look good, and both play nice. But if your on the fence, the differences between the games are HUGE. Neither will dissapoint tho I had fun with both, Me and my brother just personally had more fun with 2K8 and the new style they have offered up.

god it looks just like 2k7
which was fun
until the point that u wanted to throw the controller at the TV because you just spent 60 bucks on a game that got boring after 2 days

gamefly has notified me that they shipped 2k8.....i should have it in a couple of days......

2k sports really messed up this year. Everything is way too complicated to control. They totally forgot about the "contact Swing" because it simply doesn't work.

Im debating whether or not I should return it...

Good News antipop, altho I have to warn you, you may enjoy the new style of gameplay so much The Show dosen't do it for ya (happened to me). I should have tried them vice versa.

Ovenmitt, I am sorry to hear that, have you tried shuting one or two of the new features off, or going back to last years hit stick. Because they let you, its in the VIP setting not the regular ones. If you like last years hit stick, just make it that. Might save you the time and trouble of a returning it if you do enjoy everything else but that. if you just don't like any of it, well get rid of it, no point having a game you don't enjoy, my brother did the same.

I happen to love the new controls, but i like you struggled with them all at first. See I like to win, so me learning them all at once while losing was not an option. I learned one at a time and now an confident in all aspects that I am on it with normal settings (all star rating of course) and I feel quite comfortable with the much needed change in gameplay. It will take me another week to get truly used to it and a month to master (well so be it) that just tacks on to the quality gaming time I have for it. After I master it will be about 8 months straight of my time, well untill NCAA comes out in july... so about 4 months. But I have that much more time enjoying it.

I was a fan of it, what didn't ya like just the hitting, also contact swing is just hold it back and when the pitch comes let the stick go, power swing is pull the stick back, but push through straight up for the power. It has worked fine for me, I like it better than the press "x" for contact, and press "[ ]" for power. When its the exact same animation for both.

if its just the swing just shut it off, or revert it to last years and you will enjoy the past style you like most.

I like the controls but when I pull back on the Hit Stick at bat on the X360 version and let go nothing happens! I have to push through to make it register.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom