"Major retailer" signs up for Market Street Project (1 Viewer)

I hope they follow the model that was used in Baltimore's Inner Harbor with the Barnes and Noble, (now defunct) ESPNZone, and Hard Rock Cafe.

They kept the building in tact as much as possible while updating it for modern business. Here is the pic from the outside:

barnes-and-noble.jpg

They kept the smoke stacks in tact inside B&N. Here's one shot where you can see the stack directly in front with a cut out to be able to walk through.

screencapture1c.png

And, finally, here's a picture showing how they incorporated the escalators into the building. You can see how much of the stacks they kept in tact on each side (there are actually three stacks in total) from this angle, and they left the parts of the escalator exposed to fit into the industrial feel of the building.

screencapture2z.png

I would think that this could be replicated regardless of retailer that gets into the building.

The comments on nola.com are saying an IKEA is likely. Is that just normal nola.com moron talk or is that actually possible? That would be AMAZING for nola.

The comments on nola.com are saying an IKEA is likely. Is that just normal nola.com moron talk or is that actually possible? That would be AMAZING for nola.

gah, who knows - i usually feel like i have to de-louse after i read nola.com comments, but it seems to make some sense

gah, who knows - i usually feel like i have to de-louse after i read nola.com comments, but it seems to make some sense

Doesn't really make sense to me, IKEA never opens in markets this small. But one can wish, right?

Doesn't really make sense to me, IKEA never opens in markets this small. But one can wish, right?

if it is ikea, maybe they figured out that BR and gulf coast would shop there and maybe they figured out something with convention crowds and shipping??

There's an ikea centrally located outside of Pittsburgh. If I'm not mistaken, the market size and geographic scale is not far off. That said, we have no evidence at all of an IKEA, just a wishful comment on NOLA.com. It'd be cool though. We have a big time lack of retail in New Orleans. Claiborne should be lined with big retailers.

I think there could be a good chance you guys get an Ikea. What's the nearest one to NOLA, Houston? We have two in the DC 'burbs and I know for a fact that people will drive from hours away to shop at the one in VA. Could only means good things for the city.

Is there room in that building for an iKea? Seems kind of small compared to the ikeas I've seen. Would be cool if it is one, though.

NOLA could support an ikea.. between the MS and AL gulf coasts and BR there is a lot more people here to support that kind of store than most people realize.

I think from a "marketing perspective" they would take a similar approach that the Saints do. Entire region as opposed to SE LA.

I think it would work quite well.

I can absolutely promise you that first the building could fit an Ikea. But I can also promise you it is NOT Ikea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom