"Major retailer" signs up for Market Street Project (3 Viewers)

Supposedly the Borders wasn't doing particularly well in that location, so I doubt another big bookstore is going to move in there.

I found an old of bottle of Crown at my dad's a few years ago, complete with a K&B sticker. I'd like to tell you we kept it. But we drank that sucker.

I do have fond memories of getting K&B branded ice cream with the little wooden spoons. I think I used to by cassette tapes there as well. I want to say I got a best of the B52's as a 'sick toy' once.

I used to walk an extra few blocks to K&B for anything so I could get my change out of the auto dispenser and I do believe I still have a few of the purple click pens and some vodka around here somewhere.

Well, now that Borders on St. Charles is closing, what do y'all want / think we could get there? It's really a shame. I loved what they did at that location.

Well, now that Borders on St. Charles is closing, what do y'all want / think we could get there? It's really a shame. I loved what they did at that location.

Bangcock Spa 2. I live walking distance to it, so that's my pick and I'm sticking to it. Although, another major book store would be my second choice. I'll definitely miss the Borders being there, it makes me sad they are leaving. That's where I got Bree's signature on the book as well.

greedy-apostrophe.jpg

any update on either of these projects? Is Borders on St. Charles closed yet? You'd think they'd stay open for mardi gras

any update on either of these projects? Is Borders on St. Charles closed yet? You'd think they'd stay open for mardi gras

Borders isn't closed just yet. Apparently the landlord has a pulse so he saw this coming for months. Word on the street is they're planning on chopping up the space into smaller sized shops (of course without altering the exterior). I anticipate Uptown boycotts to begin in 3...2....

The guys behind the market street project aren't scheduled to go back to the bankruptcy court until April or May, but for now they've gotten a ton of approval for preliminary experts, so someone is priming up to go in there.

I'm against bringing in any type of retail going into that location unless its high retail. I know Orleans Parish as yet to demonstrate that it can sustain any type of retail whether its books or fish hooks. I just don't believe that New Orleans is anything less than a retail mecca. As such, I refuse to settle for anything less. I'd rather watch that building far apart than put just any ol' business in there.

Sigh, I'm joining the crowd :shrug:.

I'm against bringing in any type of retail going into that location unless its high retail. I know Orleans Parish as yet to demonstrate that it can sustain any type of retail whether its books or fish hooks. I just don't believe that New Orleans is anything less than a retail mecca. As such, I refuse to settle for anything less. I'd rather watch that building far apart than put just any ol' business in there.

Sigh, I'm joining the crowd :shrug:.

Don't forget that it can't be national high end retail. It has to be New Orleans high end retail. Certain exceptions may be made, but they have to pass the NOLA enough test before the review panel.

If you're going to tow the party line you're going to have to get it right lol.:hihi:

I was hoping it'd be something like a Bed Bath and Beyond or Williams Sonoma. Even a small Best Buy would have been cool.

UPDATE: http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2011/03/development_of_bass_pro_shop_i.html

This appears to be moving forward, which is good news. Like it or not, this is big time sales tax $$$ for the city. As far as I'm concerned, even if Bass Pro flops, they're still redeveloping the vacant site, which puts it back into commerce. As I've stated already in this thread, I think the whole area is ripe for redevelopment. A lot of the land in that area is vacant, as is the entire section of Jackson Ave. below Magazine. This is high ground and in close proximity to the CBD, the universities (close enough), Uptown, the Garden District, etc. Get the ball rolling, I'm excited!

I don't see how this will be done by the Super Bowl though, which is apparently a condition of the agreement. Things would have to get moving pretty quickly.

huge Bass Pro Shop connected to a brewpub, so the company is no stranger to the combo store/restaurant in one building idea.

Big Bucks, I am not sure if that was the official restaurant/bar name but that's what I remember calling it... I got lit in that place a time or two after the bars closed in Lewisville.

One of my buddies has a deer antler chair from that place.

from NOLA.com article said:
Outdoor mega-retailer Bass Pro Shops is indeed the Market Street power plant's anchor tenant of choice,

"Professionals at Cupkovic are approved and recognized for the Debtor's primary tenant candidate, Bass Pro,

strongly suggested that their plans revolved around Bass Pro, but did not state it directly

Just pointing out that BPS is not locked in yet but it is who they are targeting. Regardless it is great news for the area.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom